“Two nights in Sunday River” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sunday River Inn

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newry
Sunday River Inn
23 Skiway Rd., Newry, ME 04217   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Newry B&B and Inns
Albany, New York, United States
“Two nights in Sunday River”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

My husband and I stayed fro two nights has he had a Ski Clinic at the nearby Mountain. The room was very clean and comfortable. With reservations in place, all is made up and ready for you upon arrival. Since it is in the same building as the Cross-Country Ski Center, it was very convenient for me to ski the lowlands as my husband skied the mountain. The gentleman currently running the facility was friendly and was available if you had any questions or needs.
Yes, there was no TV or Hot Tub, so some changes may have recently occurred, but WiFi was accessible and the lodge living area was quite comfortable for a quiet evening or reading, games, or puzzles which were available. There were also many good eateries nearby. I would return for a short stay at these accommodations.

N & M

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

8 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Concord, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I'm a "cost-conscious" traveler and the Sunday River Inn was the perfect
place for my needs! My purpose for visiting the area was the skiing,
both downhill and cross-country. For a very reasonable price I had a
clean room with a comfortable bed. The people there were friendly and
professional. The staff was courteous and helpful. I would definitely
stay there again and would highly recommend it to my friends.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

My son and I stayed one night in early March so we could go skiing the next day at Sunday River. We wanted to stay as close as possible to the mountain and all we needed is a place to sleep so it was not worth paying the big bucks for the fancy on-mountain lodging.
The location is ideal. It's a few minutes drive to the Sunday River Ski Resort and less than 10 min drive to downtown Bethel. It's cozy looking place from the outside. The ownership and staff are very friendly and accommodating and we really enjoyed our dealings with both.

We stayed in the group cabin that is separate from the main building. It's a very small cabin with 4 private bedrooms, two shared bathrooms, a tiny kitchenette, a microwave that sits on a small table and a few chairs. It's dated, very "rustic" and in no way cozy. The refrigerator was tiny and cramped with food/bevs... there was barely enough room for the few items we had. The dish drying rack was jam packed with pots/pans/dishes and there was a pot in the sink filled with water. Luckily we hadn't planned on doing any cooking. The doors going into the private rooms were household-style doors and had basic household grade locks on them. The twin beds in the room we stayed in were of dormatory quality yet comfortable enough for sleeping. We both slept well except for a brief period during the late night hours when some of the the other guests came back to the cabin and were talking very loudly. There was no TV in the room we stayed in. One of the other rooms had a TV and VCR but no cable. The bathrooms were very dated and not super clean.

In the main building, the common areas were a bit more cozy yet still kind of rustic. There's a "gathering" area and a dining area with some tables/chairs and a fireplace. There is also a restaurant style kitchen that is available for use. There are no TV's in the public areas. This is definitely in "Inn" and not your traditional hotel/motel. I would recommend staying in the main building as opposed to the cabin. I should mention that, when we arrived, they did offer us a room in the main building but the room looked very cramped so we opted for the cabin. In retrospect, I think we would have been better off in the main building.

All in all, given the comparatively reasonable price, the close proximity to the ski resort and the friendliness and customer service of the staff and ownership, I was satisfied with our stay. Don't expect luxury but do expect value and convenience, great customer service.

Room Tip: Stay in the main building as opposed to the cabin.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I arrived late in the day and the room was not made up. I was given a room in a small cabin for 8 to which there was no shoveled or plowed access and the owner himself fell and hurt himself while going to do what turned out to be a horrific excuse of making up the room after the last guest. There were a whole mess of problems. The description on the website is completely untrue and borders on fraudulent false advertising. There was no wifi in all areas, no cafe, no jacuzzi or hot tub, no fireplaces working or lit, no cable tv in the room, no coffee and condiments, dirty dishes, full garbage barrels and missing trash bags from the barrels that were empty, there was some other dude's leftover food in the fridge. The owner was rude and aggressive if not threatening. He blamed all of the missing amenities on the website bookit.com and told me to leave if I had any complaints and the rate was the rate when I tried to negotiate for a lower rate for all the problems. This was advertised as a discount rate and it was actually the standard price. He knew full well that I had a long drive if I left and that there were no rooms available in the local area. I also received several bites on my leg and lets just say private areas. I'm questioning whether I should see a doctor to make sure I don't have some kind of illness or critter on me, my clothes or in my vehicle and now in my home. I will be contacting my credit card company and refusing the charges as the conditions and service including the nasty owner were totally unacceptable ! When I calmly mentioned there were some problems with the room etc the owner proceeded to repeat that the person before me was a cigar smoker and that I had caused the room to smell like smoke. Had nothing to do with the cigar butts in the full trash baskets of course. I will be sure and let all my friends and family know NEVER to stay here. I will also be in touch with trip advisor to repeat my review of this motel in addition to my credit card company. It is definitely not an inn but more of a flop house for ski area employees.
The owner was on the phone and discussing some kind of business analysis because the Inn isnt doing well for whatever reasons. I can certainly see why. Feel free to contact me with any questions. I took pictures to cover myself on this one.
I will never stay here again and will tell everyone who will listen NEVER GO HERE !!!!
This hotel was a real buzz kill for my first vacation/ski vacation in 13 years.

Room Tip: Book at one of the other places that has a little higher price or be sure to check trip advisor and...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

My boyfriend booked this room last minute so could go up the night before we were supposed to check in at the Grand Summit Resort so we could ski the next morning, but save some money. We got to the Sunday River Inn and waited 45 minutes before anyone showed up to check us in. The website that my boyfriend booked the room through said there was cable in each room and we chose a room with a private bathroom, but neither was the case. The man who checked us in showed us two rooms, one with a private bathroom and one without, then after saying we had the option of choosing either room he told us he preferred if we took the room without the private bathroom and that there were actually no TVs in any of the rooms. We were prepared to just deal because it was cheap until the man checking us in informed us that the keys to the rooms were not exactly working properly and that we should keep anything valuable in our car since we wouldn't be able to lock the door to our room if we left. After being told we couldn't lock our room we decided that paying a little extra money to stay somewhere else was worth it and we left. This place didn't seem dirty or anything and they didn't charge us the deposit which was nice, just be prepared for exactly what you are going to get if you decide to stay here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2007

The Inn was clean and welcoming. There were two great fireplaces to sit in front of. They have a ping-pong table and billiards to use on your downtime. The man-made hot tub was impressive. Our room, though decorated with 70s style, was cute and charming and again very clean. the home-made meals were fantastic. My boyfriend and I ate like pigs on our stay. The trails were beautiful and perfectly groomed! The fireworks were also great on Saturday night. We had a great time and would definitely go back again.

Been to Sunday River Inn? Share your experiences!