“One of my favorite places!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Newagen Seaside Inn

You added Newagen Seaside Inn to your Saves list
Newagen Seaside Inn
3.5 of 5 Inn   |   60 Newagen Colony Rd, Newagen, Southport Island, ME 04576   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Newagen B&B and Inns
Atlanta, Georgia
“One of my favorite places!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

My husband and I have visited the area twice and stayed at Newagen once. We love the whole area, but the charm of Newagen and the island are without comparison. We have traveled extensively around the world and this is one of our favorite places. I love the area of Boothbay Harbour and ate and some of their best restaurants, but I must say that the food at Newagen is the best. The rooms are simple, but nice. This past fall our daughter was married there so we got to see all the different rooms. Our daughter and grandchildren stayed in a cabin that was a little older but still very quaint. It was nice having a kitchen. My husband and I stayed in the Little Inn which has bigger rooms and a small fridge and microwave. My bride and groom stayed in the new Seahorse cottage which is pretty pricey but the view alone is probably worth the price. No one from our wedding of over 100 that stayed there had a single complaint. I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: The cottages and Little Inn are probably the best for being quieter. The corner suites are also muc...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Philadelphia, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

LOVED the return visit. Stayed in a Junior Suite in the "Little Inn" and will return again. The view from the room is great, the room is so spacious and relaxing. While the rooms are pricey, I think it was worth it for space and view. (They are currently adding more suites in the little inn for next summer.)

I love the grounds here - the Adirondack chairs set throughout the grounds are really nice places to sit and relax while reading a book or having a drink. (By the way, I had the best gin and tonics here - I am picky about G&T's and think I make the best ones, but these were better than mine!)

We ate in the new restaurant and had delicious meals. The addition of the restaurant was a good one as the food is good and it is nice to not have to drive to town. The crab cake appetizer was a favorite, but every thing we ate was very good. Wine list has some very reasonably priced good wines, which I appreciate. The service was friendly, if not a bit rushed, but I couldn't figure out if that was the kitchen or the service - it seemed to be the kitchen. Would recommend this to anyone in Bar Harbor or Southport

The staff here - this time and last - are all friendly.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

We stayed in the main inn in July while on vacation with our school age kids. I tend to gravitate to high end luxury but this place does have its charm. It seems like some kind of New England summer camp from the 1940s. The setting is very picturesque. Our room was clean and moderately spacious. As alluded to in other reviews,however, the property is not air conditioned. I did not realize this when I made the reservation(honestly never would have thought a place in this price range would not have ac) and as luck would have it we stayed there when it was brutally hot. It was miserable in our room. I am glad to see they plan to add ac and they need to make it very clear to those bookin g a room that they do not have ac. We ate dinner here and it was quite good. This isn't the kind of place I would seek out but I can see that for some it would represent a slice of heaven away from it all.
As an aside I would highly recommend a visit to the nearby Maine botanical gardens which are wonderful and worth a several hour visit.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

Amazing place! Attended a wedding in this fabulous little Inn in October of 2013; glorious views of the bay, cute rooms, helpful staff, immaculately landscaped property. I wish I could go back for a month, throw my cell phone in the bay, forget to bring the computer and just read books and relax :) Simply beautiful.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Marietta,GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Newagen Seaside Inn is a little slice of heaven on earth! Peace, beauty, comfort, quiet, friendly folks, and delicious food. This is our 6th year to visit and it just keeps getting better. Jason and his "crew" are always kind, caring, helpful and wonderful; they've remodeled the dining room and added a terrific eating porch; new outdoor fun (giant chessboard) and the salt water pool just to name a few. As always, they share the best places and things to do or NOT (just to be there is all we need). Chef Fiona continues to amaze us with her gourmet food! You don't need to leave the colony to relax and enjoy this world. We find pleasure in taking walks, looking for sea glass, watching the tide change, sitting by the fire, and oh, yes, enjoying the blueberry coffee at the terrific breakfast each morning. For the first time this year, we went to the Pine Room and tried desperately to knock down the candle pins (good luck), shoot pool, play ping-pong and looked at other more advanced games that we didn't even recognize. What a new treat. We also enjoyed our first ever real lobster bake - WOW - we ate two each!! And what fun to help prepare our delightful meal. When Lin appeared with apple pie it was "icing on the cake". And the storyteller from Portland ..."Once upon a time ...in a land far, far away..." was totally enrapturing. From beautiful sunrises and (this year) moonrises on the harbor side to magnificent sunsets on the west side, the tip of Southport Island is a marvelous place. We just wish we could get there more often!

Room Tip: I like the harbor, sunrise side.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We chose the Newagen based on a recommendation from a friend-best recommendation ever. The setting was out of a dream, the staff and accommodations couldn't have been better. A wonderful way to celebrate our anniversary!

• Stayed September 2013
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

The Newagen Seaside Inn, on Southport Island, is an expensive, but very commodious place to spend a week on the coast of Maine. Sea, rocks, birds, and lots of lobster. Every country store, and there are several within ten miles, has "lobster rolls." That's kind of like lobster on a hot dog bun, but it's fresh and delicious. There are very good restaurants in and near Boothbay Harbor, the nearest town, and three on Southport Island itself, which is otherwise very non-commercial. This is the place Rachel Carson chose to spend her summers. It is where she wrote Silent Spring, and where her ashes were scattered after her untimely death from lung cancer. The best restaurant on the Island is Olivers, an informal, but very fine eatery that features local food. The local lobster pound, Robinson's Wharf, serves delicious seafood, including a "lobster club" with bacon. And the restaurant/pub in the Inn itself has a variety of dishes from elaborate dinners to sandwiches served in a relaxed space with a beautiful view of the lawn, the mouth of the Sheepscot River and the Atlantic Ocean. There are plenty of Maine coast type attractions nearby, including the small, but fun and informative Maine State Aquarium, the Eastern Maine Botanical Gardens, sailing and whale watching excursions, and much more.

Room Tip: All rooms have views. We stayed in the Spruce Cottage, which has a view of the sunrise over Newagen...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Newagen Seaside Inn? Share your experiences!