“Nice Location, So So on everything else” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 20 Restaurants in Naples
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Wakefield, Massachusetts
“Nice Location, So So on everything else”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2009

The Freedom has one of the best locations in Naples but it unfortunately leaves a lot to be desired. Parking is a problem. The décor is very nice; although I do sometimes get nostalgic for the old run down general store I remember from when I was a kid.

The menu isn’t bad but it’s limited. It seems almost every dish has lobster incorporated somehow. For someone who isn’t a huge seafood fan, this poses a problem. I have been in several times this summer because I do enjoy sitting out on the deck, but every single time there has been something wrong with my order. There has been a marked improvement over the quality of the food but I am still somewhat frustrated over the errors in my order 100% of time. It’s not my favorite, but I risk mistakes for the location.

On the entertainment side, I have seen some good (acoustic) bands in there. I’m a Karaoke fan but I have yet to find a host worthy of praise. (The fellow singers though? Not even kidding, some should go pro!) One host there had a book with a list that accidentally got sorted by artist and left out the rest of the columns from the sort…rendering it useless. The most recent host had a book of songs. That’s it. No corresponding artists, nothing. Not to mention they had about 10% of the amount of songs a decent host would have available.

This place has potential but it’s just not there yet. Definitely better than it was, but I’m still not ready to sing its praises.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Pepperell, Massachusetts
“Really Great Fried Clams and Best View of Long Lake”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2009

We have been there many times and very much enjoy this place. Sitting on the porch is great. The fire place out there is beautiful. We have never had a bad meal. The only problem we have is you can't make reservations for the deck.The other areas of the restaurant are sparse and not very inviting. They need a new interior designer. The bar is ok and you can get your food upstairs while shooting a game of pool if you want. Again, the fried clams? Fabulous!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Raymond, ME
“The other review is outated, it is WAY better”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2008

I am a foodie. I have the girth to prove it. I am a summer resident of the area, and decide to give this place one more shot in August. I am sorry I didn't do that at the BEGINNING of the summer.

The food WAS horrible up until the new chef arrived. He is world class, out of New Orleans' Paul Prudhomme restaurants. He can cook ANYTHING and if it is not on the menu and he has the ingredients, he will cook it for you. Just ask.

The quality of the soups is superb, the entrees are plentiful and cooked perfectly. The new waitstaff has been trained by the chef, and they are fabulous, not to mention several of them are certainly good to watch as they work.

To be fair, the food was rather blah, up until Chef Murray arrived. It is certainly worth the visit now, Although they are open all the time in the summer, I think their off-season schedule is Thursday - Sunday. Better call ahead to be sure.

maine
“really gone downhill”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2008

In a beautifully restored old building right on the water.

In the past the food has been quite good here, and we've made it a regular stop on our yearly vacations in Naples. But last night there was the worst meal I've had in a restaurant in a long time.

The rolls arrived cold in the middle... they were frozen bread that hadn't been left in the bread warmer long enough. Salads were small and wilted.

We ordered bruschetta. The tomato part wasn't bad, but it was served on cut-in-half dinner rolls... the same ones served cold.

My chicken dish was uninspired, to say the least. My wife's pork chops were too tough to chew.

We decided not to risk dessert.