“Good Food, But Out of Everything!” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Lake in the Hills, Illinois
“Good Food, But Out of Everything!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

We were in town on vacation, and someone recommended Bray's. We went with our 3 kids, ages 12-16.
We had to wait about 15 minutes for a table, not too long. The waitress gave us menus and says, "First thing, we are out of ribs. And we are out of a lot of our beer, the menu should be updated. We had a busy weekend." The previous week had been 4th of July, we visited Bray's on July 10th.
Look at the menu, there are lines through so many items, they are out of a LOT!
My husband ordered an IPA to drink, waitress came back, "Oh, shoulda crossed that out too, we don't have it."
In then end, our food was good, not spectacular, but good.
We had okay service, we would have preferred to be sitting in the main area, instead of in a small room. I understand it's a Victorian, so it seems we were in a "dining room". There was one other table in there, besides ours.
We could hear the live music, which sounded pretty good, would have been nice to see.
My kids didn't like it, they thought it was weird, they felt like they were eating in someone's old house. haha

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Dallas, Texas, United States
“Good food and great beer”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

It's all good at Bray's. My husband and adult step son love their home brews and they have a dynamite chili and pulled pork "sammy". We eat here alot and I have never had a bad meal. Keep in mind this is a hopp'in little place in a hopp'in little summer resort town so you might have to wait for a table but just take a seat in the garden, relax and listen to live music until your table is ready. Naples, Maine is the place to be in the summer.

Visited July 2013
Tinton Falls, New Jersey
“On old favorite....but this time out of items and almost choked!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We have been going to Brays since it opened – many years now – as a matter of fact I still remember the prior restaurant in that location called the Epicurean. Brays is not haute cuisine – its bar food – some items done very well. Bray’s is also a casual atmosphere and a good time. We go there numerous times a year throughout the various seasons. Last week we dropped in for a late lunch the Monday after the 4th of July weekend. It was not busy at all; just a few tables and bar patrons, however unfortunately for me Brays fell far short and was almost hazardous to my health. I ordered one of the summer appetizer specials – the homemade hummus with crudités and pita and was going to order the homemade garden veggie burger. The waitress informed me after I had selected my menu items that they were out of both! It had been a busy forth of July weekend and they had not yet re-stocked their in-house made menu items. That set the stage for a very disappointing lackluster lunch, as I had recommended the place to my family based on the fact that I could get a great vegetarian meal. After looking at the menu again and being underwhelmed, I opted for a cup of the soup of the day – split pea and a salad for my entree. The soup had a very, very odd consistency. Both my father and I ordered it and agreed it was difficult to eat as the peas had not been puréed enough and the soup was very thick with pea skins. It was not pleasant – almost like wood shavings in liquid. In all fairness the flavor was delicious – but the texture was hard to get past. SURPRISE! The pea skins were not all I found in my soup – I suddenly took a spoonful in my mouth and thankfully did not swallow because it contained a twist tie! A plastic coated, metal twist tie from a bread bag or other kitchen item had found its way into my soup! I thank God it was in my cup and not my elderly fathers, and I shudder to think of the potential it had as a choking hazard. I called the waitress over and showed her – she was clearly horrified. Needless to say, I did not finish my soup.

Aside from my bad experience and in all fairness to readers of this review – my mother’s chowder was very good if not a bit bland. Her nachos grande were good as were the onion rings our table shared. My father had the twin lobster rolls with cole slaw on the side, which he rated, as always, excellent; however the meal was delayed because another waitress had picked-up his lobster roll from the kitchen and we had to wait until a new one was made for him. His beer was warm, but Bray’s beer is ALWAYS warm. They serve it at pub temperature, not ice cold. We have never agreed with that, as an ice cold beer on a summer day is what we want.

At the end of the meal when the check came, the waitress had deducted the cost of both pea soups as well as my drink from the check. A very smart gesture, but not sure it was enough? I did not want to cause a scene with my parents there, so we left – but I am compelled to wonder why a manager did not come over to apologize, the full meal was not compensated, or some gesture made to get me to return. I am very familiar with the restaurant business and know that when a customer has faced a potential choking hazed, management does a lot more then remove the suspect food item from the check. What would Brays management and insurance company be saying today had I actually choked? I’ll be mailing them a copy of this review because it does not look like they read or respond to Trip Advisor reviews online the way other proprietors do.

Lastly I want to say that our waitress was FANTASTIC through all of this. I regret that I have forgotten her name, but she handled the out-of-stock food items well, the twist tie episode well, and the delayed entrées well. Throughout she was cheerful and attentive and I in no way blame her for my bad experience; if anything she helped diffuse things and kept me from walking out the door.

In sum, between the menu items being out of stock, the odd consistency of the soup and the twist tie – it was a bad lunch day for me! The good news is I lived to tell about it! 

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Boston, Massachusetts
“Brays is the place to be!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Brays is an awesome fun place. I suggest it more for the 21+ crowd and not bringing kids. It can get noisy. The food is excellent! The beer garden is my favorite place to sit and meet new people in the summertime. Love it here!

Visited July 2013
Ellicott City, Maryland
“The Bar Review”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

This is my "go to" bar when I am in town mainly because they have bands on the weekend year round. I haven't eaten here in a long time so I can't review the restaurant. The service is usually fine and bands are varied and usually OK. During the summer season it is primarily a 20's and 30's crowd. In the winter months its all locals of all age brackets, but trends more towards an older crowd. A good place for music and drink. I will say the dining room is right next to the bar, so the bands starting at 9 or 9:30 can be distracting to your meal. Check band start times.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere