“Good canoeing spot” 4 of 5 stars

Newton, Massachusetts
43 attraction reviews
“Good canoeing spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

I agree with the previous posters that the staff could be a little more helpful in moving the canoes to and from the pond, although that wasn't a problem for us. Also, there is an assumption you know what you're doing in a canoe or kayak, so if you are a novice, this isn't the place for you. Having said that, I would recommend it as a good lake for canoeing - there are private houses all around the lake near the rental place, but if you paddle a while you'll reach the part surrounded by the national park. It struck us a scenic (even where there were houses), and it wasn't at all crowded, even during a week where the park was mobbed.

newbury ma
“Great intro to kayaking”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

I braved my first kayak experience here and lived! Very friendly staff who were respectful with my stupid first timer questions. I appreciated them holding our car keys so they wouldn't be lost.

Only struggle was figuring out how to put our kayaks back on the cart to wheel them back to the store.

Denver, Colorado
6 attraction reviews
“Beautiful scenery, less than desirable service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

I absolutely loved being on the lake. It was a gorgeous day, the sun was shining, I saw a bald eagle, a loon swam and played around my kayak. That part - I love. What I did not love was the snooty girl working the window where you rent the kayaks and canoes. I walked up to the window and the girl sat there and stared at me until I spoke up about what I was interested in doing. Not even so much as a "hello." I had to come back later as a kayak was not available when I first arrived. When I came back and asked if my reservation was still good, her exact response was "Yep." I'm sorry - YEP!?!? I'm a fairly easy going person, but I did not appreciate the response of "Yep." So immature and extremely inappropriate.

New York
10 attraction reviews
“Canoe Rentals on a lake- Great for Beginners”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

This is a popular canoe rental shop for people starting out on the water especially folks with small kids or not familiar with boating /canoeing. Since it is off a lake, the water is calm and manageable. The crowds are also not overwhelming; the better canoeist head further on the lake. The staff is friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. Pricing is also reasonable. The only advise that i could give is - during the crowded summer months, book in advance. There were people who had to return disappointed. Also the bathroom is a Johnny on the Spot; so plan accordingly.

Orange Park, Florida
21 attraction reviews
“Beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Friendly staff and beautiful location, extremely reasonable prices ($34 for a three hour canoe rental). We had a wonderful time escaping the crowds of Bar Harbor and the main part of Acadia. This place is a bit off the beaten track but is a hidden gem. You reserve your kayak/canoe. They load it onto a wheelbarrow sort of thing. For groups with lots of kids, they helped cross the street to the boat launch. Since it was just me and my husband, we took our canoe over and launched it ourselves.

The canoe itself was very nice. It was far more comfortable than any kayak I've been on and has seats with back for two people. We spent several beautiful and relaxing hours on Long Pond.

Tip: stick to the edge and explore the nooks and crannies. Get to the corners away from the wind to see fish, turtles, birds, and lilies. Be wary of motor boats and, when necessary and unavoidable, steer straight into the waves that their wake creates.

The bathroom was a relatively nice portolet (by portolet standards) across the street from the boat launch. There were no other options nearby. If you're opposed to this, make sure you take care of business before you get there.

WEAR SUNSCREEN!