“A different world!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: Islands, Outdoors
Activities: Hiking, Arts and crafts, Viewing wildlife, Walking
More attraction details
Owner description: A square-mile rock off the coast of Monhegan that is home to 70 residents.
CuyFls, Ohio
14 attraction reviews
“A different world!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

We've been to Monhegan twice. After our first three day stay, we decided to try it for a week. We like this place because everything on the island is very different from our life at home. No traffic. Very relaxing. Two groceries, each smaller than most living rooms. Miles and miles of hiking trails, some easy, some extreme. A rusty shipwreck you can crawl on. Secluded rocky beaches. The highest sea cliffs north of Rio. Get to a high spot to watch a sunrise or sunset. A silent walk through a fog shrouded forest. A coffee shop that seemed like a set from Northern Exposure. Most of the people on the island are either artists or fisherman. Occasionally, the power goes out. Who cares? Take a flashlight. There are no streetlights. Pay a teen to row you to the small island across the narrow bay and enjoy a few hours of private hiking and beach combing. After writing this, I can't wait to get back! I wonder what it's like in the fall?

Visited July 2012

Cushing, Maine, United States
“Paridise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

A real adventure. The ferry ride out is interesting but the island is magical.Bring your walking shoes and take it all in.

Visited July 2012
Houston, Texas
9 attraction reviews
“Love Monhegan Island”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I wanted to go here because I heard a lot of artists work and visit here plus I wanted to be somewhere I would be more likely forced to relax than see all the sights but I wondered if spending the night would be staying too long. It wasn't! I could have stayed a couple more days I think. Even more if I didn't have to go back to work and could bring my easel. We loved walking around visiting shops, talking to artists, taking pictures, and walking the trails to the cliffs. Not to mention just sitting at the Island Inn sipping wine and watching the boats go by. Heaven.

Visited September 2012
Rockland, Maine
3 attraction reviews
“A place of great natural beauty”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

We go to Monhegan every year and look forward to it. It is a convenient escape from everything and beautiful spot for hiking and photography. A great place to relax

Visited June 2012
watervliet, new york
“A place to totally unwind!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

The entire experience was a value. I liked no vehicles, no paved roads, quiet, peaceful, blissful, serene!

Visited October 2012