“clean but old” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Millinocket
Birmingham, Alabama
“clean but old”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

This property has nice owners and is very clean but that is the only reason i'm giving it an average rating. If you are a traveler on a small budget and don't mind a dated, motel/motor lodge type facility, I would recommend this property b/c it was clean - mind you, not an "Inn" as motel is named. The seems to provide more privacy than a B&B or Inn because it is set up like a motel (room access is internal) and you aren't in a bedroom in a house that hasn't been built like motels with privacy walls. There is no view, unless you consider the parking lot or 4 lane outside, but if you just need a place to crash and not seeking updated furnishings, this could be for you.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
TDarling_GM, Owner at Baxter Park Inn, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Thank you very much for choosing the Baxter Park Inn while you were in Millinocket! As a family business, we truly appreciate the opportunity to serve you.

We certainly appreciate your comments as well. Obviously, you met my wife and I while you were here (you referenced the owners) and we take great pride in getting to know as many of our guests personally as we can...you are our favorite part of what we do.

We recognize that there are areas of the property that need updating, and, as with any business not named the US Government, we are stretching the dollar to address the various needs...you may have noticed all new air conditioners, tables, chairs and lighting...all new in the last 2 years. We are also remodeling, 1 room at a time, completely taking the room apart and fixing all of its individual needs...all of our kings and double queens are now done, and we are starting to do the rest...this includes new windows in every room...as you can imagine, a VERY expensive venture, and so, slow going: we are about 1/4 done with our 48 rooms.

We take GREAT pride in the quality, quiet and cleanliness of our rooms...these are great building blocks and we are making great strides at modernizing..we are very excited!

Thanks again for your stay and we look forward to exceeding your expectations next time!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

The Baxter Park area was the final destination of my boyfriend and I's two week road trip. We checked in late and found Anne refreshingly cheery and helpful. At breakfast we met Tim and he was more than happy to tell us all about Mount Kitahdin. He even gave us hand written directions on how to get to the park and what trails to take to climb the mountain. We came in the off season but both were very welcoming and willing to answer questions. Our one nights stay turned into 3. The hotel was clean and comfortable. The hot tubs were refreshing and guest laundry made our after climb "day in" feel like we were at home. If we ever find ourselves back in Maine and Millenocket, we'd definitely stay again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
TDarling_GM, Owner at Baxter Park Inn, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Thanks so much for your business! Annie and I remember you..what a pleasure!

We look forward to your NEXT stay with us, when we can get you into more of what the Katahdin wilderness offers!

THANKS!
Portland, Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I was in town for business and chose this location for its proximity to my meeting. It is a very basic motel/motor lodge type facility. It was clean but pretty rustic by my standards. it did have free WIFI which I appreciated. The breakfast consisted of pre-packaged muffins and danish, and instant packages of oatmeal. The staff was friendly, but upon trying to check out there was no one at the front desk. A sign said to call an extension to reach the owner/manager. I called an got voicemail, and then waited 5-10 minutes before someone came to finalize my bill. (I really like hotels that automatically check you out and put the bill under your door during the night!)

Room Tip: I had requested a king room on the second floor, but after checking in found out there is no elevato...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
TDarling_GM, Owner at Baxter Park Inn, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Thanks for your recent visit to our property! We appreciate your business and your comments.

You note several positive things that are so true: we are close to everything in Millinocket as we are centrally located. We also offer free WIFI, easy to access and use...Thanks.

You also note our cleanliness, our trademark. As I noted in earlier reviews, we recognize the building is older and are making great strides in renovating and remodeling to modernize. This is slow going in this economy, but we feel it is vital for us...you may have noticed all of the new A/C's, lighting, tables and chairs. We are now going room to room and tearing them apart, fixing things, fresh paint and new windows in all 48 rooms!

As for the delayed check out, we are family owned and operated and were likely handling some business from our home...upstairs above the lobby. During slow times (November) we handle things from up there as we have more resources and faster equipment. The delay was likely we were on the phone with another customer at the time of your call. We are sorry for that delay.

We look very much forward to exceeding your expectations next time! Thanks.
Gorham, Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I was in the Millinocket area on business and based on the Trip Advisor reviews I decided to give the Baxter Park Inn (I wouldn't describe this motel as an Inn) a try. They gave me a corporate rate of $74.99 which seemed okay, the table in the room was too high to work at on my computer at night, but I managed by using it on my lap.

I would rate the motel as average in its class. Pros: The front desk staff was very friendly, parking was plentiful, and the internet connection worked well and the room was clean. Cons: the bed was very hard and that’s probably the most critical factor of any motel room (after cleanliness), the fixtures were very dated, it’s an older property.

I added a few photos that I took. One thing I noticed about the entry on Trip Advisor was that all of the professional photos are being displayed as traveler photos as well, which doesn't give an objective point of view.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
TDarling_GM, Owner at Baxter Park Inn, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Many thanks for your business and we appreciate your stay and your comments.

As I read your review, I see almost all positives and we thank you for that! You highlight friendly staff, parking, cleanliness, free wifi and good rate...thanks!

The only negative you mention is bed stiffness. It is interesting, on any given night we have reviews that note "too soft" at the same time the person across the hall mentions "too stiff". The softness of a bed is such a personal preference. What I can tell you is we use only Serta Perfect Sleepers and, generally get mostly compliments on them, but we are sorry you found yours stiff.

As for the property being dated, as I have mentioned in other reviews, the property is 30 years old and we are slowly getting to all of the issues a building of that age has... it is such a quality building though to start with, quiet, clean, thick beautiful wooden doors. New A/C', tables, chairs and lighting in every room and right now we are going room to room replacing every window, fixing issues and modernizing as we go!

We are very excited and look forward to exceeding your expectations when you next visit! Thanks.
VENICE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

We spent one night here while we were touring Baxter State Park. Our room was very clean and well maintained. The desk clerks were extrememly nice and offers a lot of information about the area and recommendations for our visit. The beds were a little to hard for our liking but were still comfortable.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
TDarling_GM, Owner at Baxter Park Inn, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Many thanks for your kind comments! It is our only desire to provide you with the best quality stay for your dollar!

We do pride ourselves in friendliness and cleanliness.

We thank you for your business and we look forward to exceeding your expectations on your next visit. Thank you.
ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

This clean and inexpensive motel is run almost like a B and B by friendly and helpful family. My twins enjoyed playing with their son, so kids will enjoy too. Not on the most picturesque stretch of Millinocket but very close to all.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
TDarling_GM, Owner at Baxter Park Inn, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Thank you for your very kind comments! We remember you so well and our son loved playing with the twins also...we are fortunate he gets to meet so many great people, as are we!

You cannot imagine how nice it is to hear you compare us to a B&B as that is the atmosphere we strive to create. We want you to have a terrific stay and be armed with all of the info, with only the best vendors in the area by a kind and courteous staff to make the most and warmest memories of your stay here!

It was a pleasure to meet and serve you and your great kids! Thank you very much!
New Rochelle, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We were very happy that we chose the Baxter Park Inn this time. A number of years ago we had stayed at another hotel in Millinocket and were not happy with it. The Baxter Park Inn was very clean and very comfortable. My family took 2 rooms which were connected. The front desk was very accommodating considering our plans were last-minute. We got 2 very restful nights' sleep, which was a very important consideration both before and after our climb of Mt. Katahdin via the Knife Edge. I will always choose the Baxter Park Inn from now on when I'm in Millinocket.

Room Tip: We chose 2 upper floor rooms which were connected and they were very quiet and we slept extremely we...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Baxter Park Inn? Share your experiences!