“A great find in the middle of the wilderness” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 18 Restaurants in Millinocket
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Contemporary, Bar
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: To highlight our water and woods location, the New England Outdoor Center offers guests a choice of dining experiences. The River Drivers restaurant has long served as a fine dining option complimenting the high spirits of our pub. The new River Drivers offers a refined dining experience, where a vibrant atmosphere and good food are the key elements. The location overlooks Mt. Katahdin and Millinocket Lake. The restaurant, open daily, serves high-quality American food and uses in-season, fresh and local ingredients.
“A great find in the middle of the wilderness”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

My wife and I had attended a hot air balloon festival in the area and received a reccomendation from a local lodge operator to try River Drivers for dinner. It was also our wedding anniversary and we were looking for an establishment suitable for the occasion. However, on the night of our reservation, June 2, a heat wave had settled over the area which triggered thunderstorms throughout the day and evening. On our ride to the restaurant the skies opened up in a torrential downpour the likes of which very few have seen. River Drivers has the look of a lodge with rough hewn timbers and lots of glass. However, as we left the car and proceeded into the restaurant we noticed that the lights were out. The storm had knocked out power to the surrounding community. But they didn't turn us away. The bar was fully functional but the kitchen could only make dishes that could be prepared on the stove top. Limited as it was we had a bottle of wine while they prepared a chicken Marsala dish for the both of us. Considering the limitations placed upon them that evening, I must say that the meal was very good. Working under those conditions I have to award them 5 stars. Of course, without electricity, presenting and paying the bill became quite challenging. Their solution was for me to return the next day and square up with them. What?? Can you imagining that happening in another city or town where they didn't know me from Adam? They never asked for my name, address or anything else, just "see you tomorrow". Well I returned the next evening with two local newly made friends to celebrate their anniversary, only this time with the lights on. We dined on fish dishes that were prepared nicely but just a little bit dry (hence the 4 stars instead of five).

All in all River Drivers is a beautiful restaurant preparing local dishes that are really good. The place is wide open with a comfortable bar setting and spacious dining room. The staff are wonderful and make you feel right at home. They provided an anniversary dinner for my wife and I that we will never forget. When in the area you must dine here. You won't be disappointed.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

St. Charles, IL
“YUMMMMM!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

My family of four ate here prior to our moose tour. We didn't have much time, but that was okay, because service was prompt.

Our 10 yr old had clam chowder for the first time and fell in LOVE! My husband and I had the lobster bisque. Yum, Yum, Yum! It was nothing like lobster bisque that you get in the Midwest. SO buttery and So much lobster. We both also had our first lobster rolls. So lemony and fresh.

If we were ever in the area again not only would we eat at this restaurant, we'd make sure to stay on the property. The whole area was so beautiful!!

• Visited June 2013
Freeport, Maine
“What a find, a destination point worth visiting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Our group of 30 overnited at the New England Outdoor Center. We could have been trapped in the location, not the case. We enjoyed breakfast, lunch and dinner. The food was excellant, the service wonderful, and the accommodations fantastic. And I see in another review a mention of the peanutbutter chocolate cake, that had me licking my plate. Well worth the drive!

• Visited May 2013
Maine
“Worth the trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

Great restaurant. Food is great, both for pub fare and for higher end entrees. I had the scallops with the mushroom risotto. Cant miss with the peanut butter chocolate cake either. Nice atmosphere. 7 miles from downtown Millinocket. 1 mile of dirt road, but it is fine.

Visited May 2013
Sherman, Maine
“Oops! What fine cuisine!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

We went here on a lark. Expected darn little and figured it to be mainly a hard to find adventure.
The Sirloin with rings was a great meal. Made me forget my knee injury. Wife has a pasta dish and loved it.

We are away people who came from Mass. Glad we live here. The cuisine was on the level of the Arbor restaurant in Orleans on the Cape Cod. Ambiance was wonderful and the off road drive was a gas.

You won't be disappointed. Didn't sample their wines or hard liquor but the beer was cold and on time.

• Visited May 2013