“Greta trip!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 15 things to do in Millinocket
More attraction details
Owner description: White Water Rafting on the Penobscot River in Maine is one of the most spectacular and challenging whitewater river experiences in the eastern United States and has become our most popular river. The Penobscot River boasts a reputation of exhilarating rapids and breathtaking scenery. Class I-IV rapids.
Providence, Rhode Island, United States
“Greta trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

I have been to many rafting company's and this was one of the best experiences to date!
We went with friends and family (total of 10)

Very organized, quick check in with plenty of staff to help, lunch was GREAT (I had the steak, yumm!! chicken and fish looked equally as good), I only wish....I could have had TWO cookies! Hot chocolate was also perfect given he chiily weather conditions.
Rabbit was our giuide, he was friendy, animated, funny, knowledgable and kept us all in the boat (thank God because it was 67 degrees and raining). Thanks Rabbit : )

There is a bar at the base lodge for post rafting, this was just perfect, what better way to end the day than with a cold beer (and a hot shower).

Photographers did a great job as well, we had many pictures to choose from and ended up getting the whole CD.

I would DEFINITLY use NEOC again!!

Visited August 2012

Attleboro, Massachusetts
“White Water”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

What a fantastic trip down the Penobscot River! We had an awesome guide that made sure everyone was safe and stayed in the boat, a first for our group! The rapids were fantastic except that there needed to be more of the level 4/5 rapids so you could really feel like this trip was an ADVENTURE! I have done WW twice now and I honestly think Kennebec is a much more exciting river to raft. Would def. go back and do it again next year but on the Kennebec. The guides, staff and accommodations were great!

Visited August 2012
Wakefield, Massachusetts
6 attraction reviews
“Great group to go rafting with!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

We went rafting with NEOC this weekend. We used a Groupon but had such a great time that we certainly would have paid retail! The river is beautiful, the staff excellent, and the adventure - THRILLING! Our guide was Eddie and he did an amazing job! What an exciting day we all had!!

9 attraction reviews
“Great Time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

A group of five went up to do a day of whitewater rafting. It was really fun, challenging but not too hard. Some Class 5 rapids but with our guide felt pretty safe. We saw other boats flip and lose passengers which is good because we saw that it wasnt too bad. Stopped for BBQ lunch on the side of the river. I would try to find a better location for this if I was NEOC but other thant that it was a good hearty lunch (Steak, Chicken of Fish for choices). Our guide "Rabbit" was very knowledgeable about rafting, the area and outdoor activities in general. We stayed at the affiliated Twin Pine Camps in a cabin on Lake Millinocket.

It is not for anyone that is not in general good shape. We had a semi-overweight family with us in the boat and they had a hard time getting back in after swimming in the river. You have to help carry the raft and a fair amount of paddling.

Visited July 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
32 attraction reviews
“Great Rafting, I've had better guides/service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

I rafted the Penobscot River in starting in Millinocket with NEOC. The rafting trip itself was a lot of fun. I knew going into it that there weren't a lot of big rapids, so I had the right expectations. There was a lot of float time and not a lot of rapids, but nice scenery. The lunch they served was decent and the price was fair. The few large rapids on the river were exciting and the scenery was gorgeous.

The registration process was very disorganized. I told them my name and they tried to register me under someone else's name twice. I had to keep correcting them. There was no instruction on what to do next, where to get gear, where to meet at, etc. It was all a very disorganized day of registration process. I had already pre-paid and signed up for the rafting trip months ahead of time, so this was just the check in process.

The gear was borderline shady. It was certainly well-used and in need of some repair and replacement. At the end of the trip, they "photographer" on the trip took a while to get the pictures from the rafting trip ready to view. It was overall a little second-class in terms of rafting experiences. I say this from the point of view of someone who has rafted a few rivers in various states before. Most operations are more professional, more organized and have nicer gear.

Visited May 2012
, Owner at White Water Rafting Day Trips - NEOC, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. I have shared your comments with our River Manager who in turn presented the information with our guides. We are working on improving our guest check-in experience. Your feedback will result in an improved experience for our summer guests. Thank you. Sincerely, Matt