“Need a place for a family reunion” 5 of 5 stars

Axell's Scandinavian Inn
803 Western Ave, Manchester, ME 04351   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Manchester
Lewiston, Maine
“Need a place for a family reunion”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

The Axell's and their manager were awesome to our family. They provide us with awnings, made sure the wood was stocked to purchase for the firepit. They weren't upset when we didin't know what dishes went to what room anymore. The Fairway is also connected and our family took up most of both hotels. We had an awesome time playing volleyball in the pool at night. If your looking for a place to stay I recommend here.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
sheilabobeila, Owner at Axell's Scandinavian Inn, responded to this review, August 17, 2011
Your family was AWESOME! We had so much fun watching you all have fun! Thank you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

I visited the Fairway (sister hotel of the Scandinavian) this past weekend for a quick trip to see a local production of Rent. Sheila offered a great rate for the room 08/12-08/15 - the room was squeaky clean, the beds were comfortable and I really enjoyed having use of a full sized refrigerator and oven, coffee maker, etc. I also loved the pool!
The Axells hold summer productions in Manchester with the Fairway Players and open their home to actors from NYC for the show; which meant a steady buzz of activity and fun for the weekend including a barbecue birthday party on the front lawn and movie nights. This was my second trip to Manchester and my second stay with the Axells. I did not even consider any other property for this trip and will definitely be back. Thank you Sheila and Kent!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Neenah, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

We stayed at the motel several years ago and it was quite acceptable. We are planning another trip to the Augusta area in August, 2011 and planned to stay at the Fairway again. My wife made the reservations and was told our credit card would be charged for our intended stay. She was also told she would have to cancel at least 30 days ahead of time to receive a full refund. Our plans changed and my wife canceled 33 days ahead of our arrival.

When our credit card statement arrived, however, it reflected only a partial refund. The motel was keeping $149 of a $470 bill. My wife called the motel and spoke with Derinda, the manager. She was pleasant but said there was nothing she could do, and, in any case, there was a $35 charge FOR CANCELING the reservations! We had never been advised of this "charge," and, had we been, we would never have booked the reservations in the first place. My wife successfully challenged the charge with our credit card company.

Essentially, the Fairway has attempted to scam us. Caveat Emptor!!

Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
sheilabobeila, Owner at Axell's Scandinavian Inn, responded to this review, August 3, 2011
Customers are told that they will receive their confirmation and our cancellation policy via the email address they give us.If a customer calls us within a few hours and explains that they are not certain and want to resind the reservation we will do that. However, a few days is ample time for someone to have read their email.
Our cancellation policy which each customer receives in their email within minutes of making a reservation is as follows:
Dear Customer : Your reservation confirmation is attached. Thank you for your business - we appreciate it very much. Please read our cancellation policy completely. Cancellation Policies:
All Cancellations are subject to a $35 fee per room reserved per day.
Payments are non refundable if a cancellation is made 30 days or less before scheduled arrival date and you will be responsible for entire remaining balance due. Payments will be refunded if the cancellation is received more than 30 days out from scheduled arrival date (less the $35 fee per room reserved per day) and if the reservation is able to be rebooked in its entirety. Because we are a small inn, cancellations have a significant impact on us. We will make an honest effort to rebook another reservation. In the event that we are unable to secure another reservation, you will be held responsible for your reservation in its entirety.

I feel very badly that someone would say we are trying to "scam" them, but this is our policy. I will send the Morgans a gift certificate for a free night's stay to try to mend their opinion of us.
Rochester, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2010

I stayed at the Scandy with my family over the weekend of 07/30-8/1. We came into Manchester for an event and the staff/owners of the motel were extremely accomodating for a very late arrival Friday night. The rooms are cozy and quaint, very clean, the bathrooms are spotless and the beds are extremely comfortable.
The Axell family owns this property and the Fairway which is about a mile or so up the road. The pool is located at the Fairway but we had access to use it. Both properties are very nice and our hosts could not have been more welcoming or pleasant.
No complaints. Would definitely stay here again and recommend either property to anyone visiting the area.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Manhattan, NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2009

I have stayed in my fair share of hotels, and I have yet to find a single one that has as much attention to detail as Axell's Scandinavian Inn. Every singe room has it's own personal motif and character. If you factor that in with the very simple, personal, homey touches that many hotels nowadays seem to have forgotten about... you get treated to a very wonderful experience. The rooms are spotless, and the staff is incredibly friendly and helpful. You almost forget that you're in a hotel. You almost feel as though you are a guest in their home. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a great stay at a very reasonable hotel nestled in the heart of Maine. You will not regret it!!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2009

Even with all the five-star ratings it received on this site, I was still blown away by how nice this hotel was. It was located conveniently close to I-95 and any place you might want to go in and around Augusta.I had a single king-size bed room that was as tastefully decorated and clean as I could have possibly imagined. The operators were friendly and helpful and the maid even went so far as to neatly align my flip flops which I had left strewn about the floor. I will definitely stay here again if I ever make my way back to Augusta.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2009

My boyfriend and I were traveling to Maine for a friend's wedding. We decided to stay at Axell's because we needed a pet friendly hotel/motel (we have 3 1/2 month old Sheltie), something close to the wedding and reception site (we are from WAY out of town), and couldn't afford to stay at the chain hotels. Axell's fit the bill and I was pleasantly surprised at how clean, cute, and accomodating it was.

Great stay overall.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Axell's Scandinavian Inn? Share your experiences!