“So Glad We Found It” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
SpecialK55
“So Glad We Found It”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

We were on our way to our regular Machias place when I decided to read some reviews here. I read only good things about the place. I didn't see the last two reviews, because if I had I wouldn't have gone. But I'm glad we found it.

The onion rings - hand made and not greasy or heavy at all - were fantastic! The haddock was perfect. The lobster roll was small and expensive, but was also the best I've ever had.

I wasn't impressed by the dessert. It didn't taste homemade and the selection wasn't that good. But overall, I would definitely give this another try.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Highland Lakes, New Jersey
“Not Impressed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

We went to Bluebird in June of this year on our first day in town. Before coming, we had read reviews of local restaurants, and after the long drive we didn't want to go too far for dinner. The day we arrived in Roque Bluffs, our internet in the house was not working from a recent storm, and it was after hours to call the company to get it fixed. We decided to drive down Route 1, and I recognized the Bluebird name, so we decided to stop in.

We felt a little uncomfortable here, we felt like everyone was looking at us, both local guests, and staff. Made us feel like outsiders, almost like we didn't belong.

We started out with the fried appetizer sampler, which was your typical frozen then fried food. It would have been good, but everything tasted like it was cooked in the same oil as the fish, all of the food had a very fishy taste to it. I didn't notice until my wife, who doesn't eat seafood pointed out. But once she did, I also noticed the strong fish taste. I wouldn't have found it to be offenseive, as I enjoy seafood, but someone who doesn't surely wouldn't want to eat broccoli and cheese bites that taste like fish.

They had a special for lobster alfredo, and I gave it a shot. The lobster was overcooked and chewy to the point of almost not even being edible, and it was EXTREMELY oversalted. Almost as if the cap came off of the salt shaker, and the whole bottle dumped in. I think I had about 3 or 4 bites, asked for a to-go container, and threw it out after we left. The lobster would have been sub-par even if it was at a fast food chain.

To be fair, this was our only meal here, so I can't say if this is what it is always like, or if we just happened to get a bad dish. But between feeling uncomfortable while in the restaurant, and after receiving our food, we never considered coming back.

• Visited June 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Scarborough, ME
“Perhaps it was a bad day”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

I had visited the Blue Bird several years ago for breakfast. It was fine as was the service. This time I went in for what Mainers call supper. The service was not good. When we ordered a bottle of Merlot, our server brought us a 2 liter bottle. When I questioned her on this she asked a co worker who told her where to find the bottles offerred on the wine list (limited). It seems our server has worked there nine months and when wine was ordered she always brought a 2 liter jug. As for the food it was passable. The service she provided the rest of the meal was not acceptable. The incorrect orders and the time spent waiting for her were more evidence that the Blue Bird Ranch does not train its servers well.

• Visited September 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Augusta, Maine
“Blue Bird a Nice Surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Recently, my husband and I were in Machias and sampled a dinner and breakfast at both the Blue Bird and Helen's Restaurants. My husband ordered the same meals both places. The Blue Bird won on quality and cost - he had prime rib for dinner and hash for breakfast. I had different meals at the restaurants, but the meals at the Blue Bird were by far better; more food, better quality and cost. For breakfast, I misunderstood a breakfast item and thought a bowl of fresh blueberries was a menu item. It wasn't, but the staff made it available - a cereal bowl of blueberries with milk for $1.50. Great staff that were friendly, accommodating and efficient. Nothing fancy, but a really nice experience. Lots of locals enjoyed the Sunday Buffet which looked wonderful, but became available after we ordered. This is now our go-to restaurant in Machias.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
newark, delaware
“Great Breakfast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Recently had breakfast here during a trip to Machias area. I had French toast and our daughter an omelet --both were good. However my husband had home-made hash which was outstanding. They served us some of their homemade blueberry jam which was also excellent.

Visited July 2012