“A fine stay on the Maine coast” 4 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2158 Atlantic Highway, Lincolnville, ME 04849   |
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Lincolnville
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Brooklyn, New York
“A fine stay on the Maine coast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

We were driving up the Maine coast, making pit stops along the way, and the Mount Battie was perfect for our purposes. As others have pointed out, the owners are chatty but for me it fell on the side of charming. We were only there for one night and I feel we got our money's worth: convenient, well-priced, quiet (for something by the road, that is).

I had no cell reception at all (which apparently is common in the area) but calls on the motel's landline are free, which is a nice touch if you want to reserve at a restaurant or some such.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

We visited in September and found the hosts kind and helpful. They were very accommodating in every way but especially in providing gluten free options for breakfast. I would recommend this clean and convenient motel.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Western NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013 via mobile

I chose the Mt Battie Inn based on the consistentcy of reviews, as the only differences seemed to be guests' reactions to the same situations!
The owners ARE effusive, and are not Maine natives, so if that will bother you, pick another hotel. (we have stayed in many places where the owners weren't native to the area, not sure why guests would care?) We found a courteous "we know the area well" comment enough to end the recommendations commentary others have mentioned.
As is pretty extensively covered in every review, breakfast is carb and calorie laden breads; (albeit delicious) - Christine is talented! Instant oatmeal and boiled eggs are your other choices. The inn IS directly on Rte1, as are many in Maine, even high end B&B's. Any mapping program will assist with this, if noise is a problem for your sleep, check locations of any accommodations carefully. We found Rte 1 traffic to die down around 9pm, so not an issue, and certainly more quiet than an "in town" location would be at 9pm!
We were in the family suite, a nicely sized 3 room arrangement with 2 baths and a mini-kitchen. The furnishings comfortable and certainly of mid tier hotel quality. Heat, A/C, lamps, TV's all were in working order. Particularly helpful is the outlet built into the base of the lamp- super easy to charge your personal electronics.The deck is quite nice if you are traveling with a group of family or friends, as it gives you an area to congregate, separate from other hotel guests. Overall, we were impressed with the quality of this suite and would absolutely reserve it again.
The grounds are beautifully landscaped. There are several places to sit and enjoy the outdoors, so you are not limited to a chair outside your door, as is the case with many small motor inns. Particularly enjoyable is the evening firepit. The inn is well maintained, and it is obvious the owners are continually working on improvements. It is close to many things (Camden, Mt Battie State Park) and an easy drive to others (Acadia, Freeport) but is definately on the far outskirts of any town. We prefer this, and the Inn is priced accordingly, an important consideration for a stay of several days or more. All in all, we thought the value for the price paid was excellent.
Of most importance to us is cleanliness, and we found the Mt Battie to be spotless. I have stayed in five star hotels that were not as clean! We liked the scent of "green" cleaning materials used, and they certainly work well!
Running even a very basic small motor inn is a lot of work, and these owners are tryng to do far more than the basics. With the caveats from the first paragraphs remembered, I would easily recommend this motor inn to the most pickiest of my friends.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

We were so happy we chose this wonderful motel for a three-night stay. It is comfortable, clean, homey, and welcoming. The hosts went above and beyond to offer help when I needed to find a doctor, and then offered ideas when I felt better and wanted to see sights and have the best Maine experience I could manage with the time I had left after my cold cleared up. Their brochure says you won't go away hungry from their breakfasts and I can vouch for that. Wonderful, moist homebaked goods that taste like they were baked with love. The property is lovely and the room will be your home-away-from-home. I hope I get to return to Maine at some point in my future. If I do, this will be the first place I book accomodations.

Chester Springs, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Thank you Christine and Ed for our lovely 2 day stay in your motel. From the moment we walked in looking for a room without a reservation, you treated us like VIP guests. The room was beautifully decorated, SO CLEAN and smelled great unlike so many 'typical roadside motels'. Clearly you take pride in your beautiful place with not only great customer service but also with how well cared for the property is. The breakfasts were delicious and sitting out on the front porch in the fall morning sunshine was an extra treat. It made the cost of the room worth it knowing you were in a clean motel room, safe, quiet location and yummy homemade breads and muffins warm from the oven and tasty organic brown eggs. "Kate" says thank you too for allowing her to stay! I have already told several friends and family about your motel and to be sure to stay there next time they are in Maine. I have not been back to Maine in about 20 yrs but after staying with your Mt Battie motel I will definitely be back. My friend Helga from Germany who was traveling with me enjoyed her stay as well and took home wonderful memories of our trip to Maine this Fall. Thanks again for your kindness and hospitality. Catherine, Helga and little "Kate".

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Port Washington, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

My husband and I found the Mt. Battie Motel to be such a relaxing, welcoming, pretty place to stay on our tenth anniversary driving tour of New England. It sits on the hillside with views of the Penobscot Bay and islands in the distance. So beautiful, especially as you sit outside and enjoy a delicious little home baked breakfast each morning on the Mt. Battie veranda. Wow!
The hosts Ed and Christine are two of the best people we've ever met on any of our travels! Friendly, warm, welcoming and very knowledgeable, they make this place worth a special trip, especially if you're traveling the central coast area. We had a water view room that was clean and comfy. The view was beautiful! The Mt. Battie Motel feels more like a bed and breakfast then motel. Nearby Camden is a wonderful little harbor town and there is so much to do. We did the 2hr sailboat ride and will never forget how beautiful the experience was. The warm welcome we recieved from the hosts ed and christine was such a joy on our long scenic drive.

Tampa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Mount Battie Motel is a jewel of a find. Perfect location for the Camden, ME area. Ed and Christine are one of the nice people we've met... ever! They go out of their way to make sure your stay is a very pleasant experience. The room was super clean with a very nice smell of freshness. It was a great feeling every time we opened our room door. Christine's breakfast is top notch. She even packed some home made goodies for our journey. Next time my wife and I visit Maine we're sure to stay here again. If you're looking to stay in the Camden area stop what you're doing and book Mount Battie Motel!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Mount Battie Motel? Share your experiences!