“Not going back, just not a good experience at all...” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Flat Rock Bridge Family Camping

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lebanon
Flat Rock Bridge Family Camping
You added Flat Rock Bridge Family Camping to your Saves list
21 Flat Rock Bridge Road, Lebanon, ME 04027   |
West Baldwin, Maine
“Not going back, just not a good experience at all...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

Check to be sure what things your site is near before booking, and be certain you do not take sites near the horseshoe pits/playground, the lights are on until 10 or 10:30 and people walking through your sites and standing on the fences (on your site) yelling and very loud, disruptive. Wouldn't recommend, no staff supervision of these horseshoe tournaments. We are all about people having a good time, but they should have not rented the sites next to the pits for the weekend, especially if they are having extensive tournaments. Either that or maybe the people participating in the tournaments would have enjoyed the sites better. Lots of drinking and yelling by some obnoxious people, asking us for food while we were trying to eat every night, and walking over and interrupting our conversations and campfires. We had to move to our neighbors site to eat the last night we were there, it was that bad. Thanks to the GREAT people next to us that allowed us to do this, I blame staff for not being present during the tournaments or even realizing what this would be like to stay the weekend with this drinking and extensive activity on your site all weekend. Also, be sure to read ALL of the rules very very carefully, you have to know them all very clearly while there. and there are lots of them, at the drop of a hat there are young staff (security) patrolling and enforcing every little thing under the sun. Not very relaxing to see these guys walking around all the time, being sneaky and not pleasant to talk to. I did not get a friendly feeling from any of the staff from check in, until I left, and I am a pretty easy going laid back person, this just made us on edge and not really an enjoyable weekend at all.

Room Tip: Stay across the street from the office on the North side, far better sites and hopefully not harasse...

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Biddeford, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

Contrary to other reviews about Flat Rock, my family and I had an AMAZING time during Wild West Week! We stayed from Thurs to Sun this past weekend. The bathrooms were clean, free showers (which was a pleasant surprise) and the amenities available were unbeatable. The 2 pools were great (only one hot tub, but we didnt use it), the waterslide was super fast and made me feel like a kid again. The store was a bonus as there was a cafe attached that sold ice cream, fries, and other munchies. There are fields for baseball, a mini soccer field, basketball courts and movies every night in a mini theater as well as mini golf, a rec hall, and a craft barn.
The themes are super fun. They have activities every day that go with the weekly theme. Wild West was awesome, thanks outlaws!
We paid 115 for 3 nights, plus $3 per person per round of golf, quarters for the arcade, munchies at the cafe and purchases at the craft barn.
The staff were friendly and fun, and we met the owner and he was quite pleasant and warm.
I loved this campground and we were thankful for the quiet hours and the rules. An overall great campground for families. See you next year Flat Rock

The Villages, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

This is our second year as seasonal campers at Flat Rock and although we do not have an historical background of the campground, we are generally very pleased with the Flat Rock.

We spend the entire season here as our home is in Florida so we have a different perspective from some of the weekend campers. We find the campground to be well run and particularly appreciate the campgrounds effort to make this a safe and fun environment. Yes there are rules but this a family campground and the 11 pm quiet time is strictly enforced. The activities are geared to children and our grandson really enjoys himself here. There are activities every day of the week so there is no reason for anyone to be bored. This was Wild West Weekend and the children (and may of the adults including us) had a great time.

Could some things be improved or upgraded...of course. But every year brings new challenges and we think the owners are working very hard to continue to upgrade the facilities. We feel some of postings may be inappropriately negative but everyone is entitled to his/her opinion. We will be back as seasonal campers next year!

Malden, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011 via mobile

We started camping here for one week each summer in 2006. Our experience each year was great so we decided to move to seasonal in 2009. This is camping so I am surprised to read complaints about things like wet bathrooms (with two pools, a pond, and a river, many people who use the bathrooms are wet) and not enough activities (there is always something going on and if there is not a planned activity then use the pools, waterslide, river, ball field, basketball court, horseshoe pits, multiple playgrounds, or walk or bike the roads)! I have recommended Flat Rock to many friends, all who have loved it. We have always found that if we asked about something (like the hot tubs attached to the North pool), we always get a reasonable answer from John or Mary. There have been many changes in our years coming and I know most if them have been quite an expense including the new pool and waterslide, updates to electricity, and new roofing. Imagine the upkeep and maintenance on a house or hotel and then multiple it by a few hundred times that or so! We continue to enjoy our summers here. We describe it as luxury camping :)

• Stayed August 2011
Durham, New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

As the office was closing I checked in for a tent only site at this campground. I told the individual that all I was going to do was pitch a tent for the night. The computer was down for the evening so I was asked if I would like the site near the entrance and I said OK. The next morning I was told the price was $59 since it was a "30amp" site vs. a "20amp". I reminded them that all I did was tent camp and I did not need nor want any hook-ups. I proposed that I should pay only for the lower priced site since they did not have pricing for tent only camping. They refused. I thoughts my offer and reasoning was fair considering also that the previous evening I was given the higher site since the attendent knew it was vacant. Bottom line - they did not sway and I paid the higher price. I suggested that they not spend my extra $10 all in one place!!

Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Plainfield, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

pictures on line were very deceiving. i expected alot more. The inground pool was beatufull the slide was great but need some paint on the outside. the slide isnt open all day a few hours here and there trough out the day. I expected organized tubing, nt buy your own tube and venture off at your own risk. The pond with beach was basicly a puddle with sand that no one used...The activities where ok. nothing to write home about. Played candy bar bingo and the guy flew thru the numbers so fast my 7 year old had a problem keepin up. When i brought it to his attention and a few other parents agreed he said " well I'll try i have a light up board. are u seiou swhere does he have to speed off to... The bathrooms needed some fresh paint along with everything else in the campground. It also needed lots of grass seed on the south side of the gampground. It wasnt worth it price. Believe the reviews this one time. We stayed from july27, 2011 to aug 1, 2011.. Ow yeah the hours of things where very weird a half hour a day for the merry go round. Seriously...

Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

We've been going to the "Flat Rock" for years and have seen it change hands several times. It has always been a decent campground, with lots to do for the kids. Well the new owners took over about 3 years ago and have consistently raised rates and instituted new policy after new policy to restrict your ability to do almost anything and yet, have done essentially nothing to renovate the campground. It has become so bad, I'm not sure I'll be able to list everything, but here goes:
Pros:
waterslide, 2 pools, 2 damned lake area

Cons:
Expensive -- $50+ per night for a semi-flat piece of dirt
More than 4 people on a site get charged extra
Pets another $5 per night
facilities have not been updated in over 10 years and are not very clean
Most of staff was not friendly, some of the summer kids were, but certainly not the adult help
Rules, rules and more rules
Visitors must leave by 8PM -- We asked to extend the stay by 2 hours of some friends, but were told they'd have to pay again (this was after they plunked down $35 for the day on 2 adults and 3 kids, oh yeah that including a 2 month old who was also charged a $5 fee)
A kid who fell off the pond's damned wall ended up getting cut pretty bad and his genious dad had him rinse off in the pool. When the staff was told what happened, they promptly did nothing. Actually they said, wait an hour and then go back in. I'm not sure the board of health would agree.
We were there on Thursday and the "quiet time police" asked us to keep it down a few times. I understand the quiet policy, but literally there was not another tent in sight. Furthermore, the last time the poor kid said, "Look, my boss is over there in the woods, I'm going to have to throw a bucket of water on the fire." (So the boss, couldn't come over and say, this is my campground obey my rules? Seriously, she had some poor 19 yr old summer help do it. If you're going to be rule crazy, at least enforce your own rules.)

There weer plenty of other instances where staff told us not to do something or other, but they kind of blur in now. Considering how rude Mary, the owner, was, we'll certainly never return and hope that none of you do either. With any luck, someone else will buy it and it will return to being a decent campground.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
FlatRockBridge, Owner at Flat Rock Bridge Family Camping, responded to this review, August 1, 2011
Unfortunately not every campground can please every camper. Some people like to be up late into the night around the fire, while others enjoy a quiet night's sleep so that they can enjoy the day having fun with their families. We like the quiet nights at Flat Rock Bridge, and have our security staff on hand to help ensure this. Some people just don't appreciate that, and need to express their displeasure.
This is our 7th year as owners here, and despite what this person says, we have been hard at work doing renovations and improvements every year. We have 350 sites, and have put in brand new electrical service to more than 200 of those sites. These new electrical services aren't visible as you drive in, but there is a lot of hard work and money invested there, and if it wasn't done, you would certainly notice during your stay. A brand new pool, renovations to the other pool, a new office, a new rec hall, renovations to the store and several cabins, a/c added to all cabins, a new roof on many buildings, painting, new fences, new gates, etc. Most folks who have been visiting us each year notice these things and are very appreciative of our hard work. For some reason people who are displeased, right or wrong, just seem to talk a bit louder.

Been to Flat Rock Bridge Family Camping? Share your experiences!