“Awesome Coastal Spot” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Anneke Jans is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 60 Restaurants in Kittery
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Romance, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Private Dining
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Walker St
Boston, Massachusetts
“Awesome Coastal Spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2010

This is a place that you would expect to find on the other side of the bridge in Portsmouth, NH. That being said, it is completely worth the short stones throw drive over to Kittery to give this place a shot. I am a regular here and there is no shortage of visits in my future. The food is fantastic and the staff is friendly and highly accommodating. I came for the first time with my girlfriend, we sat at the bar and the bartender allowed us to sample many of his favorite drinks and he paired them wonderfully with each course we had. He was a joy to have behind the bar. The second time I came in, he remembered both of us by name. There's nothing better than that. The atmosphere is comfortable and inviting. I have only one suggestion. I wish the menu would be updated a bit more often. All the food is amazing, I am just looking forward to trying some new items from Anneke Jans award winning chefs. Keep up the great work Anneke Jans, I recommend you all the time!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
AnnekeJans, Owner at Anneke Jans, responded to this review, January 13, 2011
Thank you so very much for your wonderful words about our restaurant!
We appreciate you writing a review so that other travelers may see what we are all about!
See you soon!

Somerville, Massachusetts
“the server made the experience!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2010

We had dinner there and the server went above and beyond to guarantee a great meal! All of our questions about the menu were answered completely and with efficiency...the wine that was suggested was a perfect companion with our meals. The food was awesome too!!

Clinton, CT
“Great meal!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2010

My wife and I had dinner on Saturday 10/2 and we really enjoyed it. I started with the mussels and my wife had the fried olives. Yum. My wife had the Pork Chop and it was prepared and cooked perfectly. I had the cod with potato puree and fava beans and it was awesome. I have a food allergy and our waiter was great and checked with the kitchen to make sure I wouldn't have any issues. Great service. It was a little loud but we didn't mind.

New York City, New York
“Loved It!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2010

First time to Anneke Jans, and loved it! Referred to the restaurant by a friend, after trying all the choices in Ogunquit. Again, we loved it!
Contemporary, cool, dark vibe going on, very urbane feeling. Felt like we were in Portsmouth or Boston, Not Kittery! The food was inventive, fun and tasty!
Not cheap, but great for a special night out. Highly reccommended!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Nashua NH
“Another great meal at Anneke Jans”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2010

We returned to Anneke Jans this past weekend and enjoyed another great meal. We eat out quite a bit in the Portsmouth area, and this restaurant, just north of the border is worth a visit.

As others have mentioned, this is a popular destination, and you should always have a reservation. The dining area is small, just shy of cramped, but is lively and energetic. We have not found it to be too loud.

We've found the fish options on the menu to be fresh and well prepared. If you enjoy mussels, there seem to be plenty of choices for you on the appetizer and entree portions of the menu. On our last visit, my wife enjoyed a delicious lobster risotto, nicely done with a generous portion of lobster meat. The lobster was perfectly cooked, sweet and delicate, not at all tough and rubbery.

Service has always been friendly and efficient, and while the food is higher end, the feeling and vibe here is casual. Be sure to order a side order of the Pomme Frittes, they aren't listed on the menu, but are a real treat.

• 4 of 5 stars Food