“Wonderful sandwiches and pizza” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
“Wonderful sandwiches and pizza”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

When Pigs Fly Bakery decided to add a restaurant that serves wood-fired pizzas with an assortment of unique toppings along with some wonderful sandwiches and sides, the local population won the food lottery. My husband had beef short rib reuben, I had a grilled cheese with bacon and roasted brussel sprouts with a side of potato wedges. How do you spell wonderful? It is a open area with tables, high tops, and bar seating - lots of great beer on tap too. I would highly recommend it if you are in the area.

• Visited February 2013

81% Recommend
“one of my new favorites”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

i eat at a wide range of restaurants from a corner taco shack to five star.... i judge them on sheer quality and this place is great, but also on cost to quality ratio...which is where this place shines...the food is great especially for the cost. the menu has every thing from pizza to beef tripe stew...the grilled cheese with bacon and b.sprouts was amazing. as wqs the bacon old fashion

Boston, Massachusetts
“It Gets Better Every Time!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Pigs Fly is close to my heart. The company started just a few miles from my childhood home, and I can remember getting fresh bread when they had just opened up from their factory building. It was delicious then, and their bread is still amazing (and I get to eat it regularly, thanks to their ever growing reach!).

I heard that they had moved buildings and didn't realize that they had added on a restaurant. My boyfriend, who is also from my home town, suggested we stop in here to have lunch last time we were visiting home. Wow! We had brick oven pizza and a couple craft beers they had on tap and everything was delicious. My boyfriend is very blasé when it comes to food, and even HE couldn't stop raving about how good it was! We sat at the bar and the bartender was very knowledgeable and the service was great. I wouldn't hesitate to sit at the bar if they're busy, no need to wait for a table.

The only draw back is that I was the "designated driver", so I couldn't try more of the delicious beers they had on tap (make a note of that for next time).

I can't wait to go back and find an excuse to come here with as many people as I can find so I can try as many different pizzas as I can! Pigs Fly keeps growing and everything they do is quality and delicious. I'm so proud they're from my home town and can't wait to see what other delicious things they create!

York, Maine
“Expensive, but quality food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I had visited this estalishment when they first opened and was not too impressed. No need to get into details for that visit, because I, finally, was brave enough to try it, again, and I was pleasantly impressed! It just goes to show that restaurants can have issues when they first open that will work themselves out over time. The menu is much better than it used to be. The staff was friendly, the food and drinks came very fast. Faster than expected! Great selection of beer!! The "traditional" wings Korean style were fantastic. The wings are a very pleasant larger size than you would normally see. They weren't fatty, either. BTW, traditional means on the bone versus boneless. The wings were the best we've ever had. The Margherita pizza was very good as well with fresh herbs and a delicious mozzarella. I observed herbs growing in their own restaurant so you know the herbs are really fresh. The crust was crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. The bottom was perfectly cooked. The pizza was not greasy. The pizza tasted like the pizza we've had in Italy. We are looking forward to eating there more often and tasting more delicious, quality food. Yes, the food is expensive, but it's worth it.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Massachusetts
“This was a suprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

My husband & I stopped at the restaurant last evening. What a surprise! We encountered a lovely waitress names, Irie meaning happy & joyful. She walked us through the menu and we had the most delicious dates with a honey sauce and blue cheese, try them great mix. we also had a wonderful pizza that satisfied both of us with thin crust in the middle and a nice edge a bit thicker. Desert was also wonderful. All of the items were described by Irie & had our mouths watering just from the description. We both enjoyed the evening meal.