“Quick overnight to Sugarloaf” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mountain Village Farm B&B

You added Mountain Village Farm B&B to your Saves list
Mountain Village Farm B&B
3.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   164 Main Street, PO Box 216, Kingfield, ME 04947   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Kingfield B&B and Inns
Boston
“Quick overnight to Sugarloaf”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

We were attending a wedding at the Sugarloaf Mountain Resort and wanted a place to stay that was a little closer to home (Sugarloaf is 5 hours away from us) and that accepted pets. We found the Sugarloaf Mountain Resort on-line and called to book a reservation. From the first phone call to our arrival and through our departure, Lisa was friendly, courteous, and helpful. She greeted us by name when we pulled up and her two dogs, Skeeter and Cisco, were there to welcome us, as well.

We stayed in The Brackley Room, which is beautifully decorated and painted a rich and restful taupe. A nicely proportioned room, we found the bed to be extremely comfortable. The windows provided a pleasant cross-breeze; and the private bathroom was warm and cozy. There was a funky smell at the bottom of the stairs leading to the guest rooms, but the room itself was fresh and clean.

It is a farm, so we were awakened by the sounds of a rooster crowing, but we found it added to the experience. Breakfast was plentiful and we shared three thick slices of delicious French toast and three fresh eggs from the farm's chickens. We found Lisa to be attentive and she was very conscious to keep the coffee flowing.

Should our travels bring us back to Sugarloaf, we would definitely take advantage of the hospitality at the Mountain Village Farm B&B.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Framingham, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2011

The Mountain Village Farm Bed & Breakfast is located only 2 minutes from downtown Kingfield, Maine. It's a great 'base of operations' for those adventurers who want quick access to the ski slopes at Sugarloaf or the snow shoe trails at Maine Huts and Trails. The B&B is very charming (old farm house) with excellent room accommodations. I spent one evening in the Brackley Farm Room which I highly recommend. The room was very clean with a nice soft bed and private full bath.

I can't say enough about the B&B owner Lisa Standish. I went to Kingfield that weekend to snow shoe with friends at Maine Huts. Unfortunately, my directions from MapQuest to Maine Huts were poor and I ended up getting my car stuck in snow about 1/8 of a mile down an unmaintained road. Unable to reach my friends, I decided to call Lisa who graciously brought her friend to help dig my car out. When that proved futile, Lisa allowed me stay in her B&B living room as I made calls to AAA and local towing services in the area. By 4:00 PM my car was towed out and brought to safety.

Lisa and her friend did everything to help a complete stranger. Many thanks to Lisa for easing my anxiety over my car and personal safety...

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
halifax, NS
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2010

I guess I expected more reading other reviews about Lisa's B&B. The drive to the hill seemed too, too long. I chose the least expensive room that was billed as the room for independant travelers with children, with a picture showing a "kitchen".The beds were comfortable and the bkfst was very good(2nds would have been nice) these are the only good things I can say.The lack of fridge as advertised in each room was the first disappointment, and the kitchen cupboards were empty.There is a common fridge in the kitchen downstairs. It held alot of beer and the hard liquor which was easily accessable above on open shelving (not a great sight for my 11yr who kept her juice etc in this fridge). Maybe this is why other guests found her friendly and helpful. I found her cold and stiff except when we departed I saw the warmth. Second evening at 6:30 we wanted to go to the front room but had to pass thro the kitchen where Lisa and Richard "who lives there" were eating and 15 min later my daughter felt so uncomfortable she wanted to go back upstairs. When we arrived it was made very clear that the front room and the room with plants were our options to hang out. The large kitchen with the tables in front of the picture window was off limits except to eat bkfst and that was where a TV was and thus we had no access, imagine with kids, it was different. There was no telephone in our room. The dogs like to bark at each approaching car, and there were several thro the pm and my window, which was open for the fresh air, was right above the din, so much for an early night's sleep to hit the slopes. Also there was a very,very foul odor that eminated fm downstairs that really ruined the experience for me and after two nights that were prepaid, we moved to Sugarloaf condos. I much better value for your dollar and way more enjoyable!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
lalustandish, Owner at Mountain Village Farm B&B, responded to this review, March 29, 2010
Oh dear!
This guest seemed to enjoy her stay while here.
Most innkeepers do not take children because of the transfer of responsibility that can occur. Often instruction is necessary for the child's own safety which was unfortunately the case for this unattended little girl. Her reaction to being guided out of the busy kitchen during breakfast preparation set the tone for their visit.
Most of my guests choose to stay off-mountain because of the incredibly scenic 15 miles drive to the ski resort. Coming around "Oh My Gosh!" corner is an incredible sight to behold.
Breakfast meals here are hardy, healthy and home-cooked. No one needs to leave unsatisfied.
It is so unfortunate that this guest drove 700 miles to get here only to be so unhappy. She was better suited to a corporate hotel experience.
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2009

We arrived at this B&B inn without a reservation and were welcomed warmly by the owner, Lisa and her dogs. The house was nicely decorated with interesting art and comfortable furniture. Our room and bath were clean and the bed was especially comfortable and cozy. It's more than you might expect- monogrammed sheets, Jacuzzis, terry guest robes!. Lisa served us a delicious hardy breakfast which we ate while gazing out a huge window wall at the surrounding mountains. Lovely experience! We will repeat.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Washington, DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2009

I made a reservation through a web interface and agreed to the terms and conditions which stated that if I cancel within 2 weeks of the stay, I would be responsible for the charge unless the room happened to be booked by someone else.

What was not clear was that I would also be charged 'in advance' the full amount of the stay. When I noticed the charge on my credit card statement, I immediately contacted Lisa Standish to question this. It didn't make sense to me to pay extra 2.5 weeks of advance credit card interest for a stay that had not yet happened.

Instead of addressing this question with an explanation, she immediately sent an email saying that my reservation had been canceled. She then enforced the 2 week rule and charged me the full amount of the stay - despite several attempts on my part to address this with her via phone and email. I didn't cancel the reservation - she did - and the basis of my communication was to express that I was not properly informed of the pay-in-advance requirement.

I can't honestly speak to the physical environment at this lodging facility - I'm sure its gorgeous - but the customer service you should expect is pretty clear.

Lisa should change careers and go into contract law. While extremely effective in exploiting a contractual loop hole, she is completely lacks any sense of customer service, hospitality or warmth.

If you care about customer service, and the hospitality with which you will be received, I would highly recommend you go elsewhere. There are plenty of great B&B options in Maine.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
lalustandish, owner at Mountain Village Farm B&B, responded to this review, November 19, 2009
This man made a reservation but did not stay here. Once booked, I held his room off the market for several days until he asked to have his reservation deposit refunded. Since rooms cannot be held unsecured, his only option was to cancel. Because he was within a 14 day cancellation period his deposit would be refunded if the room could be resold. He had been clearly and repeatedly apprised in print of my cancellation policy. I have carefully reviewed all communications between us and am satisfied that I was professional and dignified throughout. My cancellation policy is stated clearly on my web site and again in every single reservation confirmation I send out. I have greeted thousands of people from all over the world for many years and find the vast majority is good-natured, intelligent dignified, and lovely. In my substantial experience in dealing with the traveling public, this man was an anomaly.
Palo Alto, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2009

If you don't like dogs, stay away from the Mountain Village Farm B&B, because a trio of them will rambunctiously greet you as you arrive. They, the friendly cat, the ducks, geese and turkey, give this an authentic farmhouse setting.

This is not a dolled-up pretentious B&B, in fact some parts of the buildings could use a coat of paint. Rather, it is a comfortable, homey atmosphere. The rooms were nicely furnished with sturdy, not fancy, furnishings, all in good shape. The bed was comfortable and the linens were clean and in good condition. The bathroom had new furnishings and was immaculate. All the fixtures worked. Our room had a whirlpool tub. The "living room" was not fancy, but was comfortable. Alas, the TV wasn't working when we were there. I didn't detect any internet nor wireless connections.

Lisa, the hostess, offered us a great selection of breakfast items. The ones we chose were well prepared and plentiful. Lisa is friendly and very helpful with suggestions for seeing the area. She has a small antiques shop next door to the B&B.

Kingfield is home of the Stanley Museum, telling of the Stanley brothers who invented the Stanley Steamer automobile. That was an enjoyable stop for us.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
lalustandish, Owner at Mountain Village Farm B&B, responded to this review, October 2, 2009
Thank you to this lovely couple for such a complimentary review. I woud like to point out, however, that my B&B offers both wireless internet service and a working TV in the cafe. (There was a TV temporarily located in the living room but not tied into cable.) Many guests comment on my dogs (down to two). I do ask that guests let me know when they are going to arrive in order for me to have the dogs under control. Otherwise, they are on the loose somewhere on my 17 acre small farm and love to greet guests with great (overwhelming) enthusiasm.
Wokingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2008

We stayed in Kingfield for one night to break our journey from Montreal to Moosehead Lake, Maine. Such a shame we couldn't have stayed for longer! The room was lovely; the bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was clean.

Lisa was a helpful hostess and her dog Cisco is adorable - playful but well behaved. Her house is homely and the views from the breakfast room wonderful. Breakfast was very nice and the organic coffee is delicious.

Kingfield itself was a pleasant surprise and we would have liked to have more time to explore the very pretty area. Maybe we can return one day and stay at the Mountain Village Inn!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Couldn't stay longer
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Mountain Village Farm B&B? Share your experiences!