“Spectacular Summer Escape” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Kennebunkport
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Spectacular Summer Escape”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I have spent a week at the Nonantum every summer for over 20 years. Many of the employees have worked there for a long time and it is nice to be recognized each year. The facilities are clean and kept in good shape. Dinners at Ocean 95 are great, with a nice selection, making it easy to eat there most evenings. The breakfast offers a wide variety of food. The rooms are nicely decorated and very comfortable, with refrigerators and coffee makers. There are plenty of things to do right from the resort, including sail boat trips and lobster boating, plus plenty of activities for kids. I look forward to my week in Kennebunkport every year.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a deck overlooking the water.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Mainah3, Owner at Nonantum Resort, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Hi Jane!
Well we look forward to your week long visit each year too! Thanks very much for the kind remarks. It is so nice that we have many people like yourself who come back year after year and just kick back and enjoy life in the slow lane in Kennebunkport!
We look forward to seeing you again next year! Maybe you should come up for a nice fall weekend. The leaves are spectacular!
All The Best,
Innkeeper

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This resort is so beautiful and situated on such a gorgeous property - TONS for kids to do including ping pong, kayaking, arts & crafts, crabbing,etc. They had a marshmallow roast while we were there. The food is really good - lobster and avocado salad was amazing. The dining room and attire is nice casual, and so the great food surprised us. Dinner for four was $180. Do not rent bikes from Nonantum - way to expensive: call Kennebunkport Bike Company directly. Breakfast spread is amazing - they offer everything you can think of. My kids are 11 and 8 and we could have enjoyed ourselves here for days.

Room Tip: Elevator is tiny and slow (antique), so if you can not climb stairs request the first floor.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Hi John:
I am so happy to hear your family had such a wonderful time at The Nonantum! There is a lot for families to do and August is the traditional vacation month for many of our annual guests. I hope you will become part of this fun group! It is really a joy to see the kids (and their parents) reconnecting with other families from across the globe!
As far as the bike rentals are concerned, we also rent our bikes from Kennebunkport Bike Company! We charge $20 for 2 hours and they charge $19 for 3 hours but they also charge a delivery fee so it comes out about the same. I will speak to Brandon (the owner of Kennebunkport Bike) and we will come up with a plan that is fair for all. Occasionally we need them to bring bikes for a family with many children or other special size requirements. I am sure we can work it out!
We will look forward to seeing you again next year!
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We recently spent a week at the Nonantum for the end of summer. What a wonderful place. There were ample children's activities (even some childcare events--a two hour pirate and princess party my 5 year old loved, and they even give huge goody bags), arts and crafts, family movie nights, smokes and marshmallow roasting, etc... On top of which they had a pool with a lunch grill and bar, a beautiful view of the harbor, lots of places to relax and read and just be, fitness activities, kayaking, and we chartered a great lobster tour on the Rugosa (extra cost, but I recommend it). The breakfast was elaborate and great, and the hotel restaurant was wonderful food with live music in the evenings (one night was a guitar duo and one night we had piano). It is a 5 minute stroll to Colony Beach, which is a heavenly little stretch of shore and about 15 minute stroll to town which is filled with more wonderful Maine-liness. We will return next year!

Room Tip: Some of the rooms were recently renovated (in the new building) we had one of those, and it was real...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Hello New Yorker!
August is certainly family month at The Nonantum! So many fun things for kids to do! The Pirate and Princess night is always a hit! I love watching the "Pirates" decorating bell carts (a/k/a Pirate Ships) so they can take a ride! The campfires are also a blast. It is pretty hard to beat a warm summer night, a beautiful campfire and a toasted marshmallow!
We will look forward to seeing you again next year! Have a wonderful winter!
Warm Regards,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Although I had the misfortune of severely spraining my ankle just before our arrival, our family still had a wonderful stay at The Nonantum!

The staff was amazingly helpful and friendly - they delivered ice to my room, were always waiting with the elevator before I made it down the hall, held doors, and offered book recommendations and many smiles.

My husband and 3 year old enjoyed a tandem bike ride, sailing, roasting marshmallows, stargazing, and singing along at the campfire, playing shuffle board, basketball, table tennis & swimming - all just steps from the room. It was really very easy to embark on adventures & spend wonderful, quality time together. Since I was relatively immobile, I very much enjoyed the gorgeous grounds - the river & gardens are so lovely!

The food was also really good! For breakfast, we enjoyed some combination of scrambled eggs, bacon, fresh tomatoes, watermelon, blueberry muffin, and oatmeal. A short walk away, Port Lobster Co served the most delicious clam chowder & $10 lobster rolls. For dinner, the hotel restaurant was really tasty too. The ribs took fall-off-the bone to another level. They accommodated my husband's gluten, dairy & garlic sensitivities without issue. We also tried Earth (15 min drive), which was pricy, but delicious.

Our room (in the main building) was beautifully decorated with a gorgeous river view. It had clearly been updated, and had a very efficient & quiet a/c unit. Considering the included breakfast & children's programming, I found the room rate to be extremely reasonable!

My heat warms thinking of our special memories in Kennebunkport. A HUGE thank you to the kind, thoughtful staff.

• Stayed August 2014
Hello Pappas Family!
I hope by now your ankle is feeling much, much better! It is such a bummer to have something like this happen just before vacation but you certainly made the best of things! Maybe having to take some down time reading and looking at our beautiful flowers was just what the doctor ordered for the mom of a busy three year old!
We will look forward to seeing you again soon! Insider tip - Breakfast with Santa in December is always a hit with the small fry!
Happy Fall!
Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We spent two nights at the Nonantum Inn in Kennebunkport. We stayed the first night in room 254 and the second night in room 252. Both rooms were very clean and well decorated. There was a keurig coffee maker with coffee & tea pods provided, as well as a mini-fridge and microwave. The floors are very pretty wood. We had some noise from the hotel guest above us who was apparently very large & inconsiderate, as they stomped on the floor with every step they took.

We found the staff to be very helpful and very friendly and accommodating. Definitely one of the best hotel staff's we have encountered in our travels.

A full breakfast was included in our stay and both mornings the food was well prepared and the wait staff was very efficient. There was a huge selection as well, from yogurts & cereals to pancakes, muffins, bacon, sausage, potatoes and 2 varieties of scrambled eggs.

We enjoyed the outdoor areas and will recommend this location for a family vacation. Because this is a family resort, there are lots of children and consequently a lot of kid noise. We have grandchildren so it didn't bother us, but you should just be aware. This may change after the school year begins.

We did not eat in the restaurant or pub, but I would imagine it is the same high quality as the rest of the resort. Don't forget to stop in the gift shop. It was very reasonably priced and I purchased a dress and some jewelry.

We highly recommend the lobster trapping tour that leaves from the hotel's boat dock. Very interesting and informative, and it did not take up a huge chunk of your day.

We would recommend and return to Nonantum Inn.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony room that does not get evening sun.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello Indiana Friends:
Thank you for sharing your observations regarding your recent trip to Kennebunkport!
You are correct - August is beautiful in Kennebunkport but it is kid time so if you would like a quieter more tranquil time please plan to come and see us in September! Rates are lower and the weather is picture perfect!
Hope you can make it back East again soon! Have a great fall!
All The Best,
Foxborough, Massachusetts, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My wife and I booked a room through hotel tonight . We read the amenities on tripadvisor and were interested in the free breakfast. We heard that the food there was very good .
We had spent the night before at the Boathouse , and we're very happy . They also provided an excellent free breakfast .
When I received my receipt at check-in, I noticed that they had written " free breakfast not
included " . I asked why not and was told that booking through a third party ( hotel tonight ) excluded us from our free breakfast . They told me " all the hotels do that " . I assured them that the hotel the night before honered their advertisement , but was told no. I asked why that wasn't
Included in their trip advisor advertisement and got no answer .
The dinner was excellent .... The room was noisy ...thin walls and very loud air conditioners.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi Robert:
As luck would have it I was the tall blonde who checked you in! I am so sorry that apparently I did not do a very good job explaining why you did not get a free breakfast! My apologies! I will give it another shot!
When you make a reservation through a third party, I have to pay a commission for that reservation. In order to incentivize our guests to book directly through us, we give them a free breakfast. I have checked and double checked our ads and on third party sites it does not say free breakfast anywhere I can find! Free breakfast is listed on our site, but that is for people who book directly with us! Please let me know if I am missing something!
While all the rooms at The Nonantum are nice, some are not as nice as others. As you are paying less to me for your room, chances are good that you will be assigned one of the less nice rooms. It is kind of like when you book an airplane seat through a third party booking company - have you ever noticed that your seat is in the back, in the middle? It isn't a coincidence. The airline is making less money on your ticket as they have to pay a commission, so they give you the less nice seat.
Please feel free to contact me directly at jean@nonantumresort.com if you have any other questions!
Most Sincerely Yours,
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

My husband and I had a wonderful time at the Nonantum! The breakfast was delicious and our dinner at 95 Ocean was wonderful. Location was a short walk to "downtown" and provided a great excuse to walk off all of the meals that we had. Before our trip was over we were already talking about our return visit for next summer! Thanks again Nonantum!

• Stayed August 2014
Hi Melissa:
I am delighted to hear you and your husband had such a wonderful time here at The Nonantum Resort! The walk downtown is perfect for burning off dinner and the very unique boutiques are fun to wander through and explore!
We will look forward to your return visit! The autumn colors will be here before we know it so maybe a fall visit is in order?
Thanks so much for writing such a lovely review! I really appreciate it!
Kind Regards,
Innkeeper

Been to Nonantum Resort? Share your experiences!