“Excellent experience in June at the Nonantum” 5 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Resort   |   95 Ocean Avenue, Kennebunkport, Kennebunks, ME 04046   |
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Kennebunkport
GreenLeadersGold level
Boston, Massachusetts
“Excellent experience in June at the Nonantum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

From the time of check in on Friday to leaving Sunday afternoon- it was a wonderful experience.
The room and view from the room was lovely and sitting out by the water at night to watch the sun set was such a relaxing experience. All of the staff was kind and courteous. Even wth a lot of children and famiies there- mu husband and I were able to have a calm experience. The woman in the gift shop even halped us get restaurant reservations at Mabels- outdoor dining.
We will be back for the Fire & Ice event in December.

Room Tip: Its a bit more but paying for a water view room really makes the stay wonderful!
jeangm11, Owner at Nonantum Resort, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Hello Perry Family:
Thanks for writing! You make a great point in your letter! Even though this is a popular, busy hotel a couple can still find quiet times if that is what they are looking for. The other day I was sitting out on the back lawn with a couple friends enjoying a cold drink and I thought to myself "No wonder people love it here so much. This is just SO relaxing!"
Those ladies in the gift shop Paula, Debbie and Dorothy are all fountains of knowledge about the area. They have all lived here forever and in addition to having lots of great ideas for gifts (for yourself or others!) they are always willing to pitch in and make suggestions of places to go, things to see! They just couldn't be more helpful!
We will look forward to seeing you at Fire and Ice if not sooner. If you have not made your reservations yet, I would suggest you make them soon. It is always a sell out. In fact, the last two years I have had to stay at a hotel down the street because I was unable to get a room here!
Have A Great Summer!
Innkeeper

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
Seal Harbor, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

My husband, daughter (11) and I found the Nonantum Resort online as we were planning a last minute trip to the Kennebunkport area. They had one room available for Friday night in what they call the "Portside" area of their resort. The 2nd floor room had a queen bed a twin bed with very nice bedding. Soft sheets and a lovely down comforter with a cotton duvet cover. We were pleasantly surprised to find that we had a balcony with 2 chairs and an ottoman overlooking the ocean. It was very nice. We wanted to stay two nights, but when we made the reservation (two days before) they were sold out for Saturday night. We were told to check with them when we arrived, which we did. They did have one room available in the "Carriage House" which I didn't think we wanted. We declined the room as I had indicated that I thought I wanted to be in the Portside building and by the time we got to the door of our room, our phone was ringing. They had called to say they had rearranged somethings and we could stay in the room we were in for both nights if we wanted. We were thrilled! Thank you so much Nonantum!!!

Only a couple minor things about the room. We could definitely hear our neighbors (pretty clearly) through a connector door between our room and the adjoining room and much of the movement above us, but it didn't really effect how much we liked our stay. If our neighbors had been more rambunctious, it might have caused a problem, but that was not the case. The room was clean and well appointed. We did find a used plastic cup on the deck and our white towels, which were undoubtedly clean and fresh, did have some rust stains on them, which maybe does give the wrong impression, but we know how that happens. There were minor cosmetic things like our bathroom door could have used a new paint job and the tub was a little dinged-up, but everything was CLEAN and that mattered most. (A little more attention to detail would have been the solution.) All the little things we noticed were so minor it was not worth mentioning as it did not effect our stay and the staff had really gone above and beyond to accommodate us.

My husband, was also happy to find so many places to go striper fishing within walking distance from the hotel. Our daughter used the heated pool in the evening and had a great time. The resort provided many outdoor activities for kids, families, and couples, (ping pong tables, badminton net, beanbag toss game, kayaks, etc.). A great big lawn overlooking the ocean provided much space for kids to run around. Going for a walk, run, or bike ride in the area is a must. There are spacious sidewalks and the views of the homes, waterfront, and rocky coastline are second to none. SO MUCH TO SEE and DO!!!

We had breakfast in the dining room on Sunday, as it was included in our stay and we are so glad we did. There was a great buffet with many fresh and delicious choices! This was NOT your run-of-the-mill cold danish and box cereal breakfast. Omelette station, toast, bagels, muffins, cereal, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, corned beef hash, specialty pancakes, etc. Waitstaff were very friendly and attentive serving coffee and attending to other needs.

All-in-all, it was a great weekend and we definitely plan to go back.

Room Tip: Having a room that does not connect to another room by a door may cut down on neighbor noise.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
jeangm11, Owner at Nonantum Resort, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Hello Visitor from Seal Harbor:
I am so happy to hear you had such a wonderful stay at The Nonantum! It sounds like your family has lots of fun interests and that we were able to accommodate with literally something for everyone!
Thank you for reminding me about the noise issues in those adjoining rooms in Portside. Last year we changed the floors from carpets to hardwood and we have struggled ever since with the noise between those rooms. I thought we had come up with a solution but it appears not so I will chat with my friends in maintenance today and see what other thoughts they might have. They have amazing ideas so I am certain we will find a solution!
We look forward to seeing you again soon! During the summer months there are lots of very fun activities for families (movies under the stars anyone?) Truly memories in the making!
All The Best!
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

The staff is really nice and accommodating.
Nicely furnitured rooms with a nice view. Feels clean.
Nice surrondings, a lot of opportunites to eat delicious lobsters.
The sleep is unfortunately disturbed by an extremly noisy AC both the one in your room as well as the ones in your neighboring rooms. There are thin walls in the rooms - you can hear what the people are saying in the neighboring rooms.

Hello Canadian Friend!
Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent visit! No trip to Maine is complete with out a lobster dinner and our restaurant 95 Ocean has lots of options for lobsters. I am sorry to hear your ac was loud and your could hear your neighbors. If you have a moment would you mind dropping me a note at jean@nonantumresort.com so I can find out which room you stayed in? We replaced a bunch of air conditioners this past winter and also added loads of insulation in hopes of resolving the ac/noise issue. If we have fallen short of our goal of peace and (cool) quiet I would love to know where this is so we can take corrective action!
Thanks again for writing and I hope to hear from you soon!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

We stayed in Kennebunkport for our first time at the Nonantum Resort. We had planned to stay only one night but changed our minds and stayed two nights. They were so accommodating. We had never stayed at such a nice resort before. The service was nothing but top of the line professional! They come in and turn down your room in the evening which made you feel so special. They left delicious chocolates on the bed. What a sweet treat. The room was amazing with an amazing view. We stayed on the third floor- portside. The bed was so comfortable- best night sleep I have had in a long time, no joke! We were surprised by the very large breakfast that came with our stay! The grounds were beautiful. It was so nice sitting in the pool, drinking a strawberry daquiri looking out at the bay. After we walked closer to the bay and watched the sailboat and other fishing boats take off for their adventures. I really can't say enough. The question next is if we want to take our children there, it was so lovely on our own :)

Room Tip: Portside you can see the bay and the ocean in the distance.
Hello Amy:
It is grand to hear that you had such a good time that you decided to stay another day! I love it when I hear stories like this!
Turn down service in the evening is one of those old fashion touches that I think sets us apart. After a busy day in the sunshine it is so nice to come back to your room and have your bed remade (we encourage naps every afternoon!) and fresh towels in your bathroom. And who can say no to a chocolate before you pop in to bed?
I hope when you return you will bring your children. Kids love our activities program and parents love the opportunity to have some R & R while the kids have a great time. One little boy this week told me he was never going home!
Happy Summer,
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

We had no idea that the Nonamtum was so close to the home of President George H.W. Bush and Mrs. Bush. We rented bikes at the hotel and took the beautiful ride down the street to see their home. I really recommend doing that. We rode by the beach and the cute little church the Bushs attend when in town. You could even ride bikes into Kennebunkport to shop. Everything is so close. Then we enjoyed sitting behind the hotel in their adirondack chairs and watched the sunset and the boats on the water.

Rooms were clean, well maintained and cute. Staff was so friendly and helpful. Great breakfast the next morning.

Room Tip: We were on a girls trip so we chose a room with two double beds. It was perfect for us.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Hi Liz:
Even though I work all week at The Nonantum, I love to have my girlfriends come and stay here! There is so much to see here right down the street! As you mentioned, the Bushes home on Walker Point is just down the street and many of our guests are amazed they can walk or bike ride down there and see their beautiful home and amazing view! We also love the unique and quant little shops that are just a short stroll down beautiful Ocean Avenue!
I have an Adirondack with your name on it and lately the sunsets have been outstanding! Hope to see you again soon!
Warm Regards,
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

We stayed overnight in a very nice large two bedded room overlooking the water. The location was ideal for seeing and experiencing the small town and the beach. I really enjoyed watching the changing light over the water in the evening and early morning. The room was clean and in good condition and the breakfast buffet was outstanding. One of our group was upgraded to a room in the building adjacent to the hotel lobby, with a view of the water - outside of her room was a meeting place for guests at a wedding in the resort - however they were considerate and did not congregate after 11:00p.m. From booking to checking out and especially in the breakfast room all of the staff were friendly, helpful and efficient.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
jeangm11, Owner at Nonantum Resort, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Hello Moferry!
You know I like to take pictures and the light here 365 days of the year fascinates me! The sun rises and sun sets are absolutely remarkable! The perfect spot for photographers!
Thank you for bringing up our quiet hours (10:30pm -7:30am) We require all of our guests to keep noise to the minimum during quiet hours as many of our guests come here to catch up on their rest. If you are looking for a place where you can party all night, this is not the place for you! One thing we offer weddings is the opportunity to use the trolley to go downtown at 10:30 pm if they want the merriment to continue. This plan has worked out beautifully for all.
Thanks for writing! Hope to see you again soon!
Cordially,
tampa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

We recently celebrated the wedding of our daughter at Nonantum. Everything was perfect from the minute we checked into the resort. The entire staff was professional, courteous and very helpful. Dawn, our wedding coordinator, was fabulous throughout the planning process; she was so amazing that she even arranged for perfect weather on the wedding day!!!
The rooms were comfortable and clean, the Portside Lodge had beautiful views of the water, and the food was absolutely delicious (breakfast was a treat and the wedding reception dinner was outstanding).
We would love to return for another stay. We highly recommend the resort for any special occasion or a place to go to just relax.
Thank you all at Nonantum for wonderful memories that will last a lifetime!

Room Tip: Our room at the Portside Lodge had a balcony that offered a quiet and relaxing view of the water.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
jeangm11, Owner at Nonantum Resort, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Hello There Tampa Friends:
Nothing makes me happier than hearing we hit a home run with your daughters wedding! Dawn is a phenomenal wedding planner and the fact that she can order up perfect weather continues to amaze all of us! :-) Dawn is always calm and in control and brides and their families send us rave reviews. She makes it so you can relax and enjoy your big day - everything you want in a wedding planner!
Please come back and see us again soon! We love seeing our past brides and hearing about how their lives have unfolded. It is such an honor to be part of making memories for families.
Thanks for giving us the opportunity to be of service,
Innkeeper

Been to Nonantum Resort? Share your experiences!