“Pricey but would certainly come back again.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Kennebunkport
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
NY
“Pricey but would certainly come back again.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Portside bldg of the Nonantum in the third week of August and had a wonderful time. The location was stunning, the breakfast was delicious and the staff were very friendly. We would definitely stay at the Nonantum again when we visit Kennebunkport.

Our third floor room had a nice view of the river and although there was a powerful air conditioner the evenings were cool so we never used the a/c and instead just opened the windows. The TV wasn't HD but we never used it. A safe would have been nice. Some reviewers have mentioned that the bathrooms were small but we never noticed that (see pictures attached).

We enjoyed the grounds with the nice views, pool and shuffle board, etc. There were bikes and kayaks available but we never had time to use them. Every morning we had a invigorating run on Ocean avenue with fantastic views of the ocean. It was 3 miles exactly from the Nonantum to the Bush Compound and back again.

We really enjoyed the breakfast. Scrumptious hot and cold offerings plus cooked to order omelettes and very helpful & friendly staff.

While it was high season and we only stayed two days I thought the hotel to be a bit pricey. We paid $335/night for three people with breakfast (and free parking). Parking was very crowded with all the weddings but with patience we always found a space.

I found that sound traveled very easily between rooms. I knew exactly when the folks in the room next door moved around at all, sneezed, turned off their alarm, etc. Also the WiFi (Portside SID) was very weak, probably because we were at the far end of the bldg. The connection would not connect or would drop right after connection. Fortunately there was another open connection (not provided by the hotel) that we glommed onto.

It was our first visit to the Maine coast and truly wonderful. The Nonantum made it extra special.

• Stayed August 2013
jeangm11, Owner at Nonantum Resort, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Hi There Choo Choo!
Thanks so much for the lovely review! It is wonderful to hear you had such a nice time at The Nonantum!
That morning run down to President Bush's home is my favorite way to start the day as well. As you run along the beautiful Ocean Avenue, it is hard not to be grateful for the opportunity to spend time in beautiful Kennebunkport! I also enjoy the generous buffet breakfast. Truly something for everyone!
We hope you can come back and see us again soon! It is magnificent at The Nonantum all year but September is especially terrific!
Thanks again,
Innkeeper

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

This was our first stay at the Nonantum and we will be back. I wish we could have stayed longer. We stayed portside and our room was large and airy, had a great view and the most comfortable bed. The food in the dining room and the bar was delicious. But what really set this stay apart and made it exceptional was the customer service. Every one was pleasant and helpful, but Vicky at the front desk deserves the highest kudos. She saved my life when I left my briefcase behind. There were a lot of activities for kids. While parking looked to be tight, we never had a problem. The location was perfect, close to the town center but far enough away. Breakfast was included and was very good. This was a peaceful and relaxing stay and I was I was sitting on the front porch enjoying an "Almond Joy" from the bar right now. Just perfect for some R and R. The pool was a little on the small side, but I didn't go there to swim laps, we went to relax and relax we did! The words quaint and lovely just keep coming to mind. I highly recommend the Nonantum, we will be back.

jeangm11, Owner at Nonantum Resort, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Hello Glamour Kitty!
It is wonderful you had such a great vacation here at The Nonantum! We wish you could of stayed longer too!
Receptionist Vicky is an asset to this property. She sets a great tone for the Reservation Office. Vicky always has a smile and a kind word. No guest issue is too big or too small! I wish I could clone her! I am not at all surprised to hear she went above and beyond the call of duty and made sure your papers got back to you. In fact, I would be shocked to hear she didn't! I one time left my ipad on an airplane so I know that feeling of panic! I am so glad the story had a happy ending!
We look forward to your return trip! Thanks so much for sharing your experience!
Granby, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

This was our first time staying at the Nonantum and were disappointed in the amenities of the resort. The pool is much smaller than it appears in photos online and the "pool side bar and grill" a huge let down. Parking was an issue - we had to circle the lot repeatedly or park across the street because a tour bus had taken available spots or the resort was hosting an "event". Our room had a nice view of the river, but the bathroom was extremely small. On a positive note, the resort is in a great location and the employees were all friendly and professional. We had spent considerable time planning this trip; after reading previous reviews and seeing photos online, we were excited about staying at the resort. Overall, we were let down.

Hi There Jen:
I never want for anyone to leave the Nonantum Resort "Disappointed". I am so sorry your stay wasn't the kind of experience you had in mind. Sadly summers are a little crazy in Kennebunkport and I am guessing you perhaps had something less busy in mind.
I am delighted to hear you appreciated our location and that our employees did a great job making you feel at home. It just sounds like this wasn't your kind of place and for that I apologize. Vacations are far too rare and I can certainly appreciate that when things do not turn out the way you want it is upsetting. I hope the fall brings you a few moments of the quiet that it sounds like was missing from your visit here.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

I always wanted to visit Maine, specifically Kennebunkport. When I researched places, this seemed to be a good fit for my family of 6. Very family friendly with tons of daily activities for the kids to participate in. I was beyond pleased with our spacious room. The kids had their own suite with 2 twin beds. Our room had a balcony with a beautiful with a gorgeous view of the water. We had all the amenities we needed and more. The staff was beyond helpful as well. The breakfast that was included with our stay was 1st class, eggs, pancakes, sausage, you name it, it was there and it was delicious. All of that and chocolate too! The value of the stay is in the smiles of the employees, the comfort of the beds, the quality of the atmosphere and the overall appeal of The Nonantum. We will happily be going back again next year,

Room Tip: We stayed in the Portside Lodge and it was wonderful
Hello Deana:
What a lovely title to your review! "First time but not the last"! Words that every Innkeeper wants to read! Thank you!
I also really appreciated your comment "The value of the stay is in the smiles of the employees, the comfort of the beds, the quality of the atmosphere and the overall appeal of The Nonantum." WOW! I love that sentence! It really captures the essence of the type of hospitality we are providing here! Thank you so much~
We look forward to seeing you back here again!
I hope you have a wonderful September!
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

The staff was wonderful! The hotel quaint. I would suggest staying in the Portside Lodge instead of the main building if you do not like noise. However, the meeting was a success and the town is wondeful!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Hello St Louis Friend:
It isn't easy to be working in a resort when everyone else is on vacation but it sounds like you made it work! Good for you! There is a lot to do in Kennebunkport so hopefully when your meetings were done for the day you got to enjoy some of the fun!
As far as noise is concerned, we do have Sharper Image White Noise Machines available that have dozens of sounds that can lull even the lightest sleeper in to dreamland! I tried them myself and they really are fantastic! I have friends who use them every night and I can see why!
Please come back and see us when you can vacation instead of work!
Warm Regards,
Webster, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

I would highly recommend the Nonantum, especially for families. My husband and I did not travel with our family, but we both agreed, it is perfect for families with young children. The breakfasts are included, and very delicious. Everyone we talked to at the hotel were pleasant and very helpful. It was our first visit to Maine, and we loved Kennebunkport, and this location is perfect, a 10 minute walk into town or walking the other way to beautiful sites, restaurants and a small beach with free parking! We stayed during the week, not sure about weekend noise, etc. We would definately stay here again!

Room Tip: We stayed in the newer section and would highly recommend it. It is 3 floors, and we stayed on the...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Debbie:
Thanks so much for the great writeup! I am so happy to hear you and your husband enjoyed yourselves at The Nonantum! As you stated, The Nonantum is a fantastic place for families as well as couples looking for a romantic getaway. When I am driving home at night I often see many couple strolling along Ocean Ave hand in hand just enjoying all that Kennebunkport offers. I hope you can come back and see us again. The seasons are all glorious here and I know you would enjoy each one!
Thanks again for writing!
New Haven, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

This was our first time in Kennebunkport, but the Nonantum was not my first choice to stay at. Unfortunately, my first choice was unavailable for the dates of our travel. I found the Nonantum with a google search and a hastily made reservation.

Pro's:
- Quaint resort with a wonderful location central to everything that is desirable in Kennebunkport.
- Beautiful gardens (especially the fairy garden) that are well maintained.
- Adirondack chairs by the river providing a great escape from the hustle and bustle.
- Some very friendly and helpful staff who made a portion our visit all the more pleasant.
- Beautiful river view from our 3rd floor Portside lodge room.

Cons:
- From what I personally viewed at the resort, two thirds of it are in dire need of a coat of paint, general wood repair, some new carpeting and updating.
- Our room was cozy, but small without many of those very little special amenities that make your stay more comfortable. Bathroom was very small and the two of us could not be in it at the same time. A tiny microwave and an even tinier fridge that wobbled on it's wooden perch didn't make if for us. We had to move the fridge from its perch to the floor because it attempted to commit suicide and fall to floor every time you opened its door. We did manage, however, to fit 3 bottles of water and 4 cans of Coke in it before running out of space.
- Some not so friendly and helpful staff.
- Parking was adequate as long as there wasn't a wedding scheduled. There was a wedding there 3 of the 5 days we were there. Parking, during the weddings was needless to say, cutthroat.
- Overall, after one day there, the whole resort just looked tired.

I would definitely return to Kennebunkport, but not necessarily the Nonantum. For the money spent for the lodging I really expected a LOT better than what I experienced.

Room Tip: I originally wanted a second floor room at the Portside Lodge because of the private balcony, but ha...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
jeangm11, Owner at Nonantum Resort, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Hello New Haven Visitor:
Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts about your recent stay at The Nonantum! Your list of pros certainly mirrors the list of pros nearly all of our guests share. (great location, beautiful gardens, excellent views and wonderful staff) Unlike the vast majority of our guests, you also had a list of cons. While your list of cons is upsetting for me to read, because my staff and I put our heart and soul in to insuring all our guests are happy, I will say it is always educational to hear how our non fans view us. I will share your list with the appropriate Managers.
This is a wonderful example of beauty being in the eye of the beholder. The very next review talks about the joy of witnessing weddings during their visit and what a wonderful visit they had!
As you state in the beginning of your review, the Nonantum was not where you wanted to stay, and it sounds like perhaps a busy resort like the Nonantum is not your cup of tea! While travel can be fun, it is not without its challenging moments. I hope your next vacation is far more enjoyable as it is such a disappointment not to enjoy time away from home.
I hope you will come back to Kennebunkport as there are many small quiet locations that I think you would far better meet your wishes. Again, thank you for your frank candor. I very much appreciate hearing your point of view.
Respectfully,
Innkeeper

Been to Nonantum Resort? Share your experiences!