“Great Staff Great Views and Great Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Kennebunkport
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
Windham, New Hampshire
“Great Staff Great Views and Great Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

The Nonatum is located on the river and in the heart on Kennebunkport. The wait staff and front desk staff go above and beyond to be pleasant. The pillows are the best I have ever slept on and actually went to the hotel's store and ordered them. I was so happy they were locally made and came in 1 day. I would have given it 5 stars except the floors are so creaky above us and I was on the first floor. The folks on the second floor were very early risers and woke and kept me up. The complimentary breakfast was a full buffet and the wait staff incredible! Thanks again. Hopefully next time I am there the weather will be better.

Jean Ginn M, Owner at Nonantum Resort, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Those Cuddledown Pillows really are amazing aren't they? I have them at my home and my ski condo now and when I travel, I sneak one in to my suitcase. They really are that comfortable!
We are working on the squeaky floor issue. Last year we took up the carpets and put down hard wood floors. They are much more sanitary than carpet, but as we have learned the hard way, sound travels in funny directions with them. We do have white noise machines available, which many of our customers love, and running the air conditioners also helps with noise issues.
I have ordered up lots of sunshine for the rest of the summer, so hopefully we will see you back here soon!
Innkeeper

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
Dennis, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

We just returned from our third vacation trip to the Nonantum Resort. We had a wonderful time. The 4th of July Lobster Bake, musical performance and fireworks display was a highlight of our trip. The weather was magnificent. The food offerings were plentiful and delicious. With the patriotic music from the band playing in the background, the families singing, kids joyously dancing and playing, then topping off the event with a fireworks display was a wonderful way to spend the 4th.
The staff is so friendly and hard working!! From our conscientious housekeeper, who has cleaned our room for the last 3 years, to the college staff who bustled and cheerfully kept everyone in the pool and lawn area in food and beverage, to Jean the Innkeeper, whom we chatted with at the meet and greet and saw throughout our stay.
This staff and others we met throughout our visit could not have been more accommodating.
We look forward to returning!!!

Hello Pam:
Thank you so very much for your lovely review! That 4th of July experience is pretty hard to top! Lobsters and Chef True's Famous BBQ Blueberry Ribs, A full concert band of Patriotic Music, Red White and Blue a plenty - how much more Americana can you get? Such a fun, fun night!
As you noted, most of our Housekeepers have been here for years and years (Our Executive Housekeeper Sandra has been here 31 years and her Mom had the job before she did!) and their extreme commitment to cleanliness makes the Nonantum the kind of place people love to visit again and again!
Looking forward to seeing you again soon,
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

My sister and I traveled here for a week during the 4th of July. We will definitely return next summer. We selected Kennebunkport because it was a quick drive from Boston and we wanted a place where we could run, bike and swim in preparation for a triathlon. We also wanted a pool and to be ocean front, or walking distance to the water.

The Nonantum met and exceeded our expectations. Our room had been recently renovated and it was clean and the bed was very comfortable. The buffet breakfast was exceptional, offering everything from the indulgent (banana pancakes and bacon) to the healthy (yogurt, fruit, cereal).

The hotel allowed us to store our bikes in their bike racks in the activity tent which we appreciated. We also got to try out stand up paddle boarding for the first time, courtesy of the Nonantum.

Barbara Lisa was the person we interacted with the most as she noticed us struggling with our bikes. She was helpful and kind and gave us good suggestions for bike routes.

I think overall, what stood out to me, was that people seemed genuinely happy to be working there. The staff were all approachable and happy to help in any way. The young workers at the activity tent were excellent with all the visiting children. The front desk were smiley and warm. There was a positive vibe throughout the hotel and you couldn't help but feel happy being there!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Hello Boston Friends:
Thank you for your nice review! I wish I had had the opportunity to meet you as our General Manager Tina and I are also training for a Triathlon! (The Tri For A Cure) We do it together each summer to raise money for Maine Cancer and it is a highlight of our summer! We would have loved to train with you! When you come back please let me know you are coming at jean@nonantumresort.com and we will plan a bike ride or a swim (or both!)
Barbara is a wonderful Activities Director and she has helped Tina and I a lot in getting prepared for our Tri. She runs a tight ship down in activities and the guests children always have a blast!
Thanks again for sharing your thoughts! Looking forward to training with you soon!
Seattle, WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

Nonantum provided us with a basic overnight stay. The room had been partially updated but was tired and really needed more attention. The closet doors were nothing more than curtains on heavy rods. There was a microwave and small frig on a simple piece of furniture that didn't match with anything else in the room so it was odd and out of place. The bathroom needed to be overhauled. It had been recently painted, had a new countertop and new light fixtures over the sink but that did not make up for all of what it still needed. The sink itself was old and the drain cover no longer went up and down so it drained slowly. The linoleum had cuts in it and it buckled awkwardly at the baseboard moulding. The sink was about a foot off the floor....70's style....and is not what you expect in a place of this caliber. The sink was yellowed and needed replacement put had a nice new shower curtain. There was an old wooden shelving unit over the toilet that simply needed to go. And then there was the bracket on the wall by the sink. No longer needed but it hadn't been removed either. Strange. And the only full-length mirror in the place was awkwardly positioned on the wall behind the door of the bathroom. So not great placement if you wanted to step back and see if your outfit looked fine before heading out the door. The bed was comfortable, the flooring was new in the bedroom, there was a decent view out the sliding glass door (although a young boy was playing with realistic looking guns right outside which was disturbing to say the least) and the water pressure and drainage in the bath were both adequate. Noise levels are a problem. Everything going on above our room and outside in the hallway were easily audible making this less than a resort-like experience for my husband and I. Given the choice, we would not choose the Nonantum again. It wasn't horrible but I certainly would not choose it again over other options.

Room Tip: Top floor might afford a lower noise level.
Sue,
I am so sorry your visit to the Nonantum was not to your liking. I will take a look at your room and make the changes you suggest. As you noted the rooms have recently been renovated so I am surprised by your descriptions. I will certainly check it out today!
My apologies we failed to meet our goal of exceeding our guests expectations.
Sincerely Yours,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

Found this place on accident searching hotels on google maps. Thrilled with the discovery. It's quiet, the bay is beautiful. It seemed very kid friendly. I didn't have my kids, but they let me crash the marshmallow roasting party anyway. Dinner was fantastic. The breakfast buffet wasn't great, but I'm not much of a morning eater. The panini by the pool was fantastic. Continue down the road and you'll come to nice beaches, keep driving and the oceans views and homes you'll pass are stunning. Which is where I accidentally found the Bush compound. Can't wait to come back with husband and kids. I was very happy to stay there

Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Jean Ginn M, Owner at Nonantum Resort, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Delighted to hear that as a female solo traveler, you felt totally welcome and safe! We strive to ensure all of our guests have a great time and sounds as if you did!
Those Paninis down at the pool are really delicious. I confess on many a nice day I have been known to sneak out of my office to spend a few minutes at our Pool Bar Latitudes and enjoy Tish's Panini of the Day! She, Bartender Justin and Latitude Manager Ryan do an amazing job down there concocting fun lunches and snacks as well as awesome cocktails!
You are not the only adult that has crashed the marshmallow roasts, in fact it happens most nights! I mean seriously, who doesn't like a campfire, a few songs and a sweet treat before bed?
Looking forward to seeing you and your family soon!
Warm Regards,
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We had a wonderful stay at this historic hotel with beautiful grounds. Unfortunately, we only stayed one night as we traveled in Maine. Next trip, we will plan more time here. The service here is excellent, starting with the reservation manager. There was difficulty with my reservation, as I had changed our length of stay, and she was very helpful in correcting the misunderstanding. The room (265) is a wonderful corner room overlooking the water. Loved it! The restaurant, 95 Ocean, is great. Don't miss it! This hotel is nearby the beach, away from the crowded area of Kennebunkport. Truly, a great stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Phoenix Visitor!
So sorry that you could not have stayed for additional days! There are so many great activities in Kennebunkport in the summer that it is hard to choose just one days worth of fun!
My son, daughter-in-law and grandson have also been visiting with us from Phoenix and I am sure like them you have also enjoyed getting out of the crazy AZ summer heat! I love visiting your beautiful area of the country in the winter and spend as much time as possible soaking up the sun!
I agree with you that Sheila, the Reservations Manager is a gem! She has been here for 15 seasons and her husband has worked here even longer! In fact they got married here and I performed the ceremony!
Our restaurant 95 Ocean is an amazing place to dine and enjoy live music. This time of year the fresh local fare is just over the top! Come back soon!
Thanks for writing!
Milford, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We stayed one night in a Portside room on the second floor. The room was a corner with a very nice view. It was clean and comfortable with a Keurig coffeemaker and small fridge. The buildings are older and could use some paint. The pool was smaller than expected. That said, sitting on the Adirodack chairs at waters edge and watching the boats go by was great. There were bicylcles, kayaks and other activities available The bartender in the pub was friendly and the food was great, particularly the ribs. The complimentry buffet breakfast was great and we enjoyed sitting on the front porch of the main hotel in the rockers to read the morning paper with our coffee. We were also able to wa;k to town (a little over 1/2 mile) for shopping.

Room Tip: I would recommend the Portside area s the rooms are a little more updated and the corner rooms have...
Greetings Milford Visitor!
So happy to hear you had a great visit! There just really is nothing as relaxing as sitting in our Adirondacks watching the boats go by! Our guest comment cards continually rate that as the number one most popular activity!
As you noted, Justin in Heckman's Pub is a lot of fun to talk to! He came here as a 15 year old Bellman and now, over a decade later has finished high school and college and spends the off season going to some fascinating countries and he always has wonderful stories about his adventures! Everyone love to chat with Justin!
We are only about 90 minutes from Milford, yet I am sure you will agree it seems like a different world up here. I hope you can come back and visit this different world again soon!
Warm Regards,
Innkeeper

Been to Nonantum Resort? Share your experiences!