“Good location - in a pretty town” 4 of 5 stars

Announcement
Chef of the Year Award
Ranked #1 of 5 hotels in Kennebunkport
ireland
“Good location - in a pretty town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We travelled here - on a last minute weekend away & we were lucky to get one of the last rooms. It is very well situated just a few minutes walk from the pretty village of Kennebunkport & being on Ocean Avenue is on a lovely scenic drive that takes you past - Walker's Point, Cape Porpoise & Goose Rocks Beach.

The hotel itself is on the river. The room was comfortable & nicely decorated. Wifi was included in the room rate. We travelled with a baby so were in bed early & my only complaint was in our ground floor room we could hear everything overhead - walking, chairs scraping etc.

The breakfast in the morning was also very good.

All in all a nice hotel in a very nice area.

Room Tip: Avoid the ground floor rooms.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Jean Ginn M, Owner at Nonantum Resort, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
It has been an extremely busy fall here at The Nonantum! I am so happy we were able to squeeze you in when you wanted to visit!
I am sorry it was a bit noisy for your baby. We have pulled up rugs and put down hardwood floors which look nice and are far more sanitary - the bad news is that the sounds that used to be muffled by carpet and padding can now be bothersome. We do have white noise machines available to be delivered to your room and next season every room will have one! We did a little test marketing with them this year and found that people love them! They make many different sounds like the ocean, birds chirping, a foghorn etc! Something for every one!
Happy holidays and I hope you can come and see us again soon!
Warm Regards,

651 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Having read a number of reviews for this place on Trip Advisor my husband and I decided to stay at this resort (not my definition of a resort, more of a low grade boarding house)!We arrived in pouring rain and were kept waiting at reception while a complete mess up of another family's booking was resolved.We were asked not to use the lift without a member of staff and realised why when we saw it. It was something out of the arc and not fit for human consumption.Our room although clean enough was something out of the dark ages, the bathroom hideous and the so-called double bed barely big enough for 2 people.The carpets and rugs throughout the hotel were filthy and the smell of rotting fish (apparently dinner) permeated throughout.The staff although friendly enough, were indistinguishable from the guests in as much as they were all dressed casually, some in shorts!It was far too late for us to find another place to stay that evening so we did stay for the one night we were booked for but did not stay for either dinner or breakfast and made a very quick exit early the next morning, hopefully never to return.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Jean Ginn M, Owner at Nonantum Resort, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear London Friend:
I am so very sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us! It is always our goal to insure that all our guests have a wonderful time and I feel awful that your stay did not meet your expectations. We especially value our travelers from other countries and work extra hard to insure they receive a wonderful welcome.
Again my apologies that you had such an unhappy time in Kennebunkport.
Hobart, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

My husband and I recently travelled through New England visiting several places during the fall. We were enchanted with the scenery and the spectacular colors of the fall foliage. In Kennebunkport, on the Maine shore, we stayed at the Nonantum Resort Hotel, a lovely hotel, with gorgeous, spacious rooms. Our accommodation had a very New England style décor which I found charming and comfortable. We were welcomed with hot cider and freshly baked cookies and everyone went out of their way to make us feel comfortable. In some ways it reminded me of Ireland with its warm welcoming in an old charming building and the mystic touch of fog hanging over the tranquil shore that made me feel so at home. Kennebunkport has a charm of its own with the quaint buildings in the village and its magnificent scenery. We walked from the hotel into the village in the late afternoon, it takes about 30 minutes, and the light was great for photography. Boats were being “winterized”, an expression we saw for the first time as it was written on several places offering their service to wrap small crafts to protect them from the severe cold of the coming winter. The shops were all decorated, as was the hotel, with the typical harvest time pumpkins and straw characters.
We had a lovely Maine lobster dinner at the hotel, the setting and the service were immaculate. We would love to go back to the Nonantum Resort Hotel and we highly recommend this beautiful hotel with its ever so charming staff.

Room Tip: The older building has only one very old and very small elevator operated by staff. Sometimes it tak...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Jean Ginn M, Owner at Nonantum Resort, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Hello Sylvia:
Thank you for making the long journey from Australia to visit us in Kennebunkport! Kennebunkport is beautiful all year round but I have to admit fall is special! It is so much fun to watch our little town kind of get tucked in for the winter. Maybe one day you can come back in the spring and watch us come out of hybernation! It is so exciting to see everyone after the long winter! Our little town is such a special place to visit and live!
Hopefully our paths will cross again!
Wilsonville, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I should start by saying that we were a family of 6 that did not have reservations until the last minute. They accommodated us on the 4th floor of the historic hotel. The room had a queen/and another room with 3 singles beds. They offered a roll-away at no charge to us. They also discounted the room rate as were were late and they were full. There was a wedding going on so, the bottom floors were filled with a band - fairly noisy. But, on the 4th floor we heard virtually nothing. The room was tastefully decorated in ocean motif which the kids loved. It's old but that added to the nostalgic feeling. The elevator is operated by staff and was something of interest. The buffet in the AM was very good... pumpkin french toast, muffins, eggs and bacon... fruit, yogurt - assortment of juices/coffee and milk. This was included in the stay. The location is along the main road into town and the property is a close walking distance to the beach. We were so grateful for their accommodations and felt the staff was pleasant and helpful. The evening bellman was very cordial as was the wait staff at breakfast. Thumbs up here... a nice place to stay for us.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

The expansive property is located in a scenic area on the Kennbunk River and the location is their best asset.

The property is isolated and approximately 7/10ths of a mile from Kennbunkports shops.

All employees were exceptional and courteous. The Fall decorations / dummy's scattered around the property were awesome. I especially loved the two dummy's sawing down the tree out front and the gorgeous huge pumpkin with seasonal chrysanthemums.

The breakfast was outstanding and absolutely delicious.

I understand that the property was built in the late 1800's and has had some minor renovations. We were in a room on the third floor of the carriage house which was renovated recently. Nonamtum does have a very small, antiquated elevator - similar to what you find in the small old European hotels. It is operated by hotel staff when summoned by pushing the button. The other option is to walk down 3 flights of very old, steep stairs - which we did once.

The room was clean but I do have issues that should be addressed with the appointments / linens and decor. My observations are subjective but meant as suggestions. (I stayed in an 1815 inn the night before which was far superior and less costly.)

The wood floor was nice with a nice quality textured small area rug. The wallpaper was a nice pattern but appeared old and outdated. The stove was a nice touch. The two chairs were too small (and, yes, I know small room, small chairs) and not conducive to a relaxing place to sit.

The toiletries in the bathroom were nicely scented. It would be nice to have TWO bars of soap - one for the sink and one for the tub.

First, the bed headboard is simply white pressed board. The beds did NOT have any bedskirts on the mattress / box spring. It was very unsightly.

The sheer curtains on the windows are of inferior quality on antiquated metal curtain rods from long ago. The sheers were pushed to each side of the window - to offer the view (and unsightly old curtain rods) - BUT it reminded me of guest houses from 50 years ago - no cornice board or curtain valance to dress up the top part of the window.

In my humble opinion, the baseboard *should* have been finished off with quarter rounds tacked on the bottom next to the floor. It's a very simple / inexpensive task which would have huge dividends in appearance. (You can see gaps between the wall and floor due to the craftsmanship.)

PLEASE update the phone in the room. It was something I haven't seen since the early 70's - not charming and it did not appear clean - hence, I used my cell phone.

I hope the owner does not take offense to my criticism but considers it constructive to improve the property. Afterall, when I take a trip, I hope to have the comforts of home!

Lastly, while our room had two small walls of window views, beware of the garbage truck that comes early in the morning under our windows in the carriage house.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here on the last night of a tour. It was the best place we stayed by a long shot.
We were greeted with homemade lemonade and cookies before being directed to our rooms. The rooms, in the new section of the resort were impeccably decorated and spotlessly clean. A great coffee maker and free wifi was included.
The bed was wonderfully comfortable
The grounds are beautiful and the resort was festively decorated for Halloween with pumpkins and scarecrows. Close to the pretty little shopping area and a lovely walk along the shore.
We had a lobster dinner which was wonderful and breakfast in the morning was to a high standard.
Loved this place and would definitely return.
If I were to have anything negative to say it would be that the rooms are not soundproofed at all. I could hear every footstep from above and clearly hear conversations from the next room

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Fife
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

This was our first overnight stop after we had left Boston on our New England holiday.

What a gem in the cute little town of Kennebunkport. A very friendly welcome. Very large room with two bedrooms and five beds for my wife and I to choose from! The room was decorated on a fresh New England style. The staircase up to the third floor was quite tight and steep. The lobby reminded me of the hotel in White Christmas with large fireplace and low roof. Very comfortable and relaxed.

Dinner was excellent and very reasonable. There was also some entertainment with a couple of singers.

We wanted to stay here longer than the one night we had planned.

• Stayed October 2012
Jean Ginn M, Owner at Nonantum Resort, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Well we wish you could have stayed longer too!
I loved your comparison to the Lobby in White Christmas. You need to come back and see our Christmas Decorations as the lobby REALLY looks like White Christmas!
Our dining room is always a favorite, especially in the fall. The early sunset and cool nights lend themselves to staying put. Since we have entertainment almost every night even those who do not have dinner with us find themselves headed to our dining room for drinks, apps or desserts.
Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.
Warm Regards,
Maine Innkeeper of the Year

Been to Nonantum Resort? Share your experiences!