“Beautiful location but room needs more attention...” 3 of 5 stars

Nonantum Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   95 Ocean Avenue, Kennebunkport, Kennebunks, ME 04046   |
Ranked #2 of 5 hotels in Kennebunkport
Dallas, Texas
“Beautiful location but room needs more attention...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

The expansive property is located in a scenic area on the Kennbunk River and the location is their best asset.

The property is isolated and approximately 7/10ths of a mile from Kennbunkports shops.

All employees were exceptional and courteous. The Fall decorations / dummy's scattered around the property were awesome. I especially loved the two dummy's sawing down the tree out front and the gorgeous huge pumpkin with seasonal chrysanthemums.

The breakfast was outstanding and absolutely delicious.

I understand that the property was built in the late 1800's and has had some minor renovations. We were in a room on the third floor of the carriage house which was renovated recently. Nonamtum does have a very small, antiquated elevator - similar to what you find in the small old European hotels. It is operated by hotel staff when summoned by pushing the button. The other option is to walk down 3 flights of very old, steep stairs - which we did once.

The room was clean but I do have issues that should be addressed with the appointments / linens and decor. My observations are subjective but meant as suggestions. (I stayed in an 1815 inn the night before which was far superior and less costly.)

The wood floor was nice with a nice quality textured small area rug. The wallpaper was a nice pattern but appeared old and outdated. The stove was a nice touch. The two chairs were too small (and, yes, I know small room, small chairs) and not conducive to a relaxing place to sit.

The toiletries in the bathroom were nicely scented. It would be nice to have TWO bars of soap - one for the sink and one for the tub.

First, the bed headboard is simply white pressed board. The beds did NOT have any bedskirts on the mattress / box spring. It was very unsightly.

The sheer curtains on the windows are of inferior quality on antiquated metal curtain rods from long ago. The sheers were pushed to each side of the window - to offer the view (and unsightly old curtain rods) - BUT it reminded me of guest houses from 50 years ago - no cornice board or curtain valance to dress up the top part of the window.

In my humble opinion, the baseboard *should* have been finished off with quarter rounds tacked on the bottom next to the floor. It's a very simple / inexpensive task which would have huge dividends in appearance. (You can see gaps between the wall and floor due to the craftsmanship.)

PLEASE update the phone in the room. It was something I haven't seen since the early 70's - not charming and it did not appear clean - hence, I used my cell phone.

I hope the owner does not take offense to my criticism but considers it constructive to improve the property. Afterall, when I take a trip, I hope to have the comforts of home!

Lastly, while our room had two small walls of window views, beware of the garbage truck that comes early in the morning under our windows in the carriage house.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

729 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here on the last night of a tour. It was the best place we stayed by a long shot.
We were greeted with homemade lemonade and cookies before being directed to our rooms. The rooms, in the new section of the resort were impeccably decorated and spotlessly clean. A great coffee maker and free wifi was included.
The bed was wonderfully comfortable
The grounds are beautiful and the resort was festively decorated for Halloween with pumpkins and scarecrows. Close to the pretty little shopping area and a lovely walk along the shore.
We had a lobster dinner which was wonderful and breakfast in the morning was to a high standard.
Loved this place and would definitely return.
If I were to have anything negative to say it would be that the rooms are not soundproofed at all. I could hear every footstep from above and clearly hear conversations from the next room

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Fife
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

This was our first overnight stop after we had left Boston on our New England holiday.

What a gem in the cute little town of Kennebunkport. A very friendly welcome. Very large room with two bedrooms and five beds for my wife and I to choose from! The room was decorated on a fresh New England style. The staircase up to the third floor was quite tight and steep. The lobby reminded me of the hotel in White Christmas with large fireplace and low roof. Very comfortable and relaxed.

Dinner was excellent and very reasonable. There was also some entertainment with a couple of singers.

We wanted to stay here longer than the one night we had planned.

• Stayed October 2012
Jean Ginn M, Owner at Nonantum Resort, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Well we wish you could have stayed longer too!
I loved your comparison to the Lobby in White Christmas. You need to come back and see our Christmas Decorations as the lobby REALLY looks like White Christmas!
Our dining room is always a favorite, especially in the fall. The early sunset and cool nights lend themselves to staying put. Since we have entertainment almost every night even those who do not have dinner with us find themselves headed to our dining room for drinks, apps or desserts.
Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.
Warm Regards,
Maine Innkeeper of the Year
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

We stayed the first week in October. The resort (it's really a hotel) was decorated for fall with cute strawmen scattered through the property. Take a few minutes to find all the hidden secrets in the fairy garden. We were lucky enough the stay in the Portside Annex with a fantastic view of the waters and the breakwater for the ocean. The room had a queen and twin beds with a wide window and a chair to watch the boats head out to sea. An added treat was the gas fireplace. I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for Portside Annex rooms that look out on the water.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
The Gardeners really outdid themselves this season, didn't they? Many of our guests were observed talking to our scarecrows as they looked so realistic! Some of my favorites are the fisherman, the lobsterman and the boy picking apples.
The views from our rooms this time of year are extra special as the leaves on the trees have thinned and so now we can see even more of the boats coming and going from the harbor.
I am so glad to hear your trip to The Nonantum was all that you wanted it to be. Come see us again soon!
Thanks,
Columbus, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Not really a resort. Hotel spread out among several buildings. Clean, baisc room with very nice water view, furnishings are downscase "quaint." Caters to large tour groups, so be prepared to deal with the crowds at meals.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for sharing your thoughts! It is always very educational for us to hear things from a customers point of view!
For example, when you say "Caters to large tour groups, so be prepared to deal with the crowds at meals" I am curious as to what you mean. We do host motor coaches in the fall but their breakfast is scheduled at 6:45 (our breakfast for regular guests begins at 7:30) so we avoid a crossover, and the motor coaches who choose to dine at night with us eat in a different dining room than our regular guests. We were thinking this would meet the needs of both groups. Clearly however, have a different perception!
I am guessing perhaps you saw a lot of people in the lobbies and parking lots so you anticipated crowds at meals?
In any case, I very much appreciate you staying with us and thank you for the nice comments.
Maine Innkeeper of the Year
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012 via mobile

I too stayed here on the last night of my New England tour on Caravan. The resort was charming, decorated in a beautiful way with all the fall colors. The highlights were the beautiful grounds, the warm and sweet staff and the delicious lobster dinner that we had as a group. The floors did squeak but the property was so quaint that I didn't focus on that. I hope to get back to Kennebunkport, ME soon and would definitely stay at the property again.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Jean Ginn M, Owner at Nonantum Resort, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Hello Alison!
Thanks so much for your thoughtful remarks! The fall is a beautiful time to visit The Nonantum and this year the decorations were even better than usual! Each day I am amazed by the many people walking around our grounds taking photos of each other. They looked like they were having a fantastic time!
I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your lobster dinner! I mean seriously - you cannot come to Maine and not have lobster!
Have a great fall!
Warm Regards,
Meridian, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

This quaint inn is a great fall getaway resort in Kennebunkport. When we arrived, the front of the inn was decorated nicely for fall. The grounds had pumpkins and fall decorations everywhere. We took a lot of pictures. The rooms were very clean, the breakfast buffet was excellent, and the owners were friendly. The Bush compound was only a couple of miles away, and shopping was very convenient to the inn. We will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Great place to stay for couples wanting to shop and look at fall foliage.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello Harpers:
I really appreciate your kind remarks about the Nonantum!
As you correctly observe, fall is a wonderful time for couples who just want to kick back and enjoy the beautiful scenery and do a little shopping. There are also lots of outdoor activites like hiking, biking and kayaking available
Next time perhaps come in a different season for while we have fantastic fall decorations and activities, we also have really amazing spring summer and winter decorations and activities as well!
Hope to see you back in Kennebunkport soon!
Innkeeper

Been to Nonantum Resort? Share your experiences!