The expansive property is located in a scenic area on the Kennbunk River and the location is their best asset.
The property is isolated and approximately 7/10ths of a mile from Kennbunkports shops.
All employees were exceptional and courteous. The Fall decorations / dummy's scattered around the property were awesome. I especially loved the two dummy's sawing down the tree out front and the gorgeous huge pumpkin with seasonal chrysanthemums.
The breakfast was outstanding and absolutely delicious.
I understand that the property was built in the late 1800's and has had some minor renovations. We were in a room on the third floor of the carriage house which was renovated recently. Nonamtum does have a very small, antiquated elevator - similar to what you find in the small old European hotels. It is operated by hotel staff when summoned by pushing the button. The other option is to walk down 3 flights of very old, steep stairs - which we did once.
The room was clean but I do have issues that should be addressed with the appointments / linens and decor. My observations are subjective but meant as suggestions. (I stayed in an 1815 inn the night before which was far superior and less costly.)
The wood floor was nice with a nice quality textured small area rug. The wallpaper was a nice pattern but appeared old and outdated. The stove was a nice touch. The two chairs were too small (and, yes, I know small room, small chairs) and not conducive to a relaxing place to sit.
The toiletries in the bathroom were nicely scented. It would be nice to have TWO bars of soap - one for the sink and one for the tub.
First, the bed headboard is simply white pressed board. The beds did NOT have any bedskirts on the mattress / box spring. It was very unsightly.
The sheer curtains on the windows are of inferior quality on antiquated metal curtain rods from long ago. The sheers were pushed to each side of the window - to offer the view (and unsightly old curtain rods) - BUT it reminded me of guest houses from 50 years ago - no cornice board or curtain valance to dress up the top part of the window.
In my humble opinion, the baseboard *should* have been finished off with quarter rounds tacked on the bottom next to the floor. It's a very simple / inexpensive task which would have huge dividends in appearance. (You can see gaps between the wall and floor due to the craftsmanship.)
PLEASE update the phone in the room. It was something I haven't seen since the early 70's - not charming and it did not appear clean - hence, I used my cell phone.
I hope the owner does not take offense to my criticism but considers it constructive to improve the property. Afterall, when I take a trip, I hope to have the comforts of home!
Lastly, while our room had two small walls of window views, beware of the garbage truck that comes early in the morning under our windows in the carriage house.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Waterfront Resort. The ambiance of a bygone era. Experience the Maine of yesterday on the picturesque shores of the Kennebunk River. Established in 1883, this enchanting Kennebunkport resort features elegantly appointed rooms, private baths, fine dining, heated pool, free WiFi, exceptional service. Scenic lobster boat and sailboat and sport fishing tours plus kayak rentals from our marina. On the trolley route. Victorian charm with contemporary amenities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Nonantum Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Nonantum Resort Kennebunkport, Maine
- Nonantum Hotel Kennebunkport