“Perfectly Kennebunkport!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Florida
“Perfectly Kennebunkport!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

My husband and I enjoyed a mini vacation within a family vacation at the Nonantum. We stayed in a portside room on the ground floor. The view was fantastic, the room was clean & comfy. The bed linens fluffy and the service was better than expected. The employees were sincerely helpful and friendly and the gardens and lawns beautiful. I can't say enough good things about the resort. If I were to request one change, it would be for a more elegant & luxurious bath! But still, I managed a relaxing soak in the one provided !

• Stayed July 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
buffalo, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

The people here are genuinely nice, happy, chatty, informative, and really care that you are comfortable and enjoying yourself. They are helpful, anticipate needs, and seem to genuinely enjoy their job. I stayed with a friend for a weekend getaway. We booked a small room. No need to pay more. I thought the price was fair for what we received. It is an exclusive resort town, so prices are what you would expect.
It was wonderful to have services on site... the kayaks, the sailing excursions. many things to do for children (although this was not a family visit), and the staff told about all the best places to eat, which places received the buzz but maybe weren't the best, where to go for happy hour drinks... etc ... and they were RIGHT about it all!
Had a lovely time. My first time to Maine. I loved the town, and would come back anytime I could manage it. I enjoyed the location. One direction, a short walk to Colony Beach. Other direction, a short walk to town shoppes (with the fantastic Wharf Rest. a long the way for patio drinks, full dinner, or lunches.)
The internet was sketchy at best.
The front porch offered comfortable rockers to bring your drinks out and enjoy a warm summer breeze.
Sigh. Click my shoes three times and say "there's no place like Kennebuckport..... there's no place like Kennebuckport, there's no place better to stay than the Nonantum"

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Reading, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

We have 4 children, ages 5-9 and have been staying at the Nonantum for over 5 years. Our oldest child has many food allergies, so we contacted the hotel staff in advance this year to see if we would be able to dine in the restaurant. The staff was unbelievable in making sure our son's needs were met and our dinner was a wonderfu experience. One we will remember for many years to come.

There are always great activities for the kids when we visit! The staff organizes fun games while the kids take breaks from swimming. There are also options of kayaking and boating. There is never a lack of things to do for our family at the Nonantum and it's a very short walk into town. We look forward to many more years of visits!

Rhinebeck, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

We stayed during the week before 4th of July and it was delightful. The customer service at the Resort is Ritz quality. We stayed in the Carriage House with a family suite which was perfect for our family. The morning breakfast buffet is fabulous and has something for everyone to enjoy-including an omelet station on the weekends. One of the best parts of the vacation for us was Henry's Kid's Club. My husband and I could eat a leisurely breakfast while watching our daughter at the Kid's Club on the lawn beginning at 9am each morning. The staff is very professional and careful watchers of the children. We took a lobster boat tour on the Rugosa and the crew was very able and informative. We had only two issues while there--our room didn't have curtains that covered the windows completely in the bedroom and bathroom and someone above us overflowed the tub producing a leak above our shower wetting the tiles. The staff responded so quickly to these issues it was amazing. I have stayed at 5 star expensive resorts who wouldn't have addressed these types of issues this quickly. I would agree with one other reviewer that the mattress needs upgrading otherwise everything else was perfect. The grounds are impeccable and the location so convenient to all of the beaches. We also ate dinner in 95 Ocean and was very impressed with the quality. We met the GM, Tina, at the cocktail party--don't miss this by the way--and she is top notch. If you must work while there cell service is often iffy--

Room Tip: The Portside rooms have refrigerators and the family suites there have their own deck area if that i...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011

We stayed for a long 4th of July weekend with family at the Nonantum Resort. The reason we chose this resort was because of the many kids' activities it advertised, and I have to say that although the older building of the resort had some issues (employee-only-operated elevator, broken Wifi connection, no refrigerators in the rooms, furniture needs to be modernized), the kids' activities were wonderful. Each day, even the weekend days and the holiday itself, there were planned and staff-supervised activities. Anything from story time at breakfast with Henry the Harbor Seal (also a photo op and opportunity for the kids to make a picture frame), to the morning craft corner, to the Wednesday morning kids' camp. This camp allowed parents to drop off the kids to the trained staff members, where the kids made crafts, learned about marine animals, had a short walk to the beach for shell hunting, went crabbing off the docks, had a snack, and were given a Henry the Harbor Seal t-shirt. There was also an ice cream-making party for the kids so they could be supervised during a social for the grown ups. A not about Henry the Harbor seal...my kids are generally afraid of costumed characters and run from them...but they absolutely loved Henry and asked to seem him the whole trip.

The Nonantum also has very friendly staff who are knowledgeable of the area, wonderful free breakfast buffets everyday, and beautiful grounds. I just wish they would modernize the original building...the smaller but newer building is much nicer, more comfortable, and has all the amenities you would expect from a hotel; whereas the original building has more of a B&B feel. Also, the advertised "free wifi" was not working and they couldn't get it fixed while we were there, and the computers for guest use in the new building had very slow connections. But for the kids' activities, we will absolutely return to this resort...we'll just stay in the new building next time.

Room Tip: ask for the new building
Nashville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

We came to the coast of Maine for a family vaccation and reserved another hotel. After 2 days, we checked out and went in search of another. We found the Nonantum and are very happy. The staff work very hard here to accomodate the guests. Free included breakfast is nice (I noticed that non guests were actually paying to eat the "free" buffet here--if that tells you how good it is). Many kid friendly activities such as treasure hunt, pirate adventure, mad scientist club, .... Bikes for rent and easy walk to shopping and dining. I highly recommend this place. I never know what to rate as a star rating, because it is not the Ritz in Central Park, but the service and especially the fact that the people here seem to care about us, make me say 5 star.

Latrobe, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

First off I would like to say that the staff at the Nonantum were fantastic. They were very friendly and went out of their way to assist with booking tours and anything else that was requested. As a manager that deals with customer service on a daily basis, I recognize outstanding customer service when I see it. Also breakfast each morning and the dinner my husband and I had at 95 Ocean were great, no complaints there. However the biggest gripe I have is with the room. We had a Kennebunk river room in the Carriage house section. The fact the room was the size of a shoebox did not bother me, the room was tastefully decorated and was updated. However the bed was the most uncomfortable I have ever slept in. You could tell that the mattress was really old and it sagged. They had cheap quality sheets and the pillows were hard. To top it off the curtains were so thin that our room was completely illuminated at 5am. I don't know about you but when I am on vacation I would like to sleep in. That being said it truly is a nice hotel and with a few little changes to the rooms I think it would be worthy of 5 stars.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Nonantum Resort? Share your experiences!