“Another visit another wonderful experience.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Maine Stay Inn and Cottages

Save Saved
You added The Maine Stay Inn and Cottages to your Saves list
The Maine Stay Inn and Cottages
3.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   34 Maine St, Kennebunkport, Kennebunks, ME 04046   |
Offers & Announcements
$50 off a Two Night Stay
Ranked #7 of 27 Kennebunkport B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Boston, Massachusetts
“Another visit another wonderful experience.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We try to make a visit to Maine Stay Inn an annual trip, but missed 2012, walking in the door this weekend and seeing Judy and Walter made me realize how much I enjoy this Inn. From Judy's sitting down with us and helping us decide on dinner reservations, and I will add we have never been steered wrong. I find this inn, warm and cozy and for us full of friendly faces that we have seen before. As always we stay in the cottages and they are again, warm inviting and most importantly, relaxing and romantic. The breakfasts are also just abolutely amazing, something I would expect in a high end resturant. I can't wait to return for yet another trip.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

440 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Just returned from a 3 night stay at the Maine Stay Inn. We stayed in Cottage #5 which was beautiful. Perfect for a winter weekend with a fireplace, large jacuzzi tub, heated floor in the bathroom. The bed was very comfortable and the room was spotless. The breakfasts were excellent, plentiful and so nice to have it delivered to your cottage. The Inn is close enough to walk to shops and restaurants in Dock Square. Just overall a wonderful stay!

Mount Dora, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

Nice and clean room, mattress very uncomfortable, old foam pillows on the bed, breakfast was average. In overall could be a very nice place to stay, but there is a lack of attention in details to make this place special.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
kportinnkeepers, Owner at The Maine Stay Inn and Cottages, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
This review truly blindsided us, because these guests sought us out during their stay to compliment the quality of our accommodations. During our interactions, I learned that these guests worked for a luxury European hotel corporation, where they often stayed. These hotels staff bellhops, doormen, 24hr concierge, valet parking, and offer professional restaurant facilities. Guests receive daily fresh flowers, twice daily housekeeping services (and upon request), turndown, and full room service. As a bed and breakfast, this is not something we strive for. While we are extremely proud to offer luxurious accommodations, attention to detail, and the best customer service possible, we are not and will never be the full-service hotel these guests require.
The suite these guests chose is our most luxurious, and had just undergone a massive renovation. A comparable suite at any of the hotels these guests frequent often run more than four times the cost of ours, but we strive to provide affordable luxury. During the renovation, everything, including the mattress and pillows were replaced. We do not use foam pillows anywhere, but instead purchase StaminaFibre pillows, which are a washable, hypoallergenic down replacement. However, we keep feather pillows on hand, available upon request, which is indicated clearly in each guest room. Mattresses are a very personal preference, so we intentionally offer a variety of levels of firmness. Had they indicated a preference or expressed dissatisfaction earlier, we would have happily moved them to a different room.
In retrospect, we believe that part of their dissatisfaction stems from our breakfast service, because while it can be delivered to their door, they do not receive wait service inside their room. But while this review is saddening, we certainly recognize that these guests arrived with expectations that cannot be met by a bed and breakfast.
Chattanooga, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

My wife and I wanted to find a nice holiday retreat experiencing Maine for the first time. Upon doing considerable research, we were so fortunate to discover Maine Stay Inn & Cottages. Judi and Walter are wonderful innkeepers providing a variety of accommodations within walking distance to charming Kennebunkport. We elected to stay in one of the cozy cottages, although we will be tempted to try one of the lovely rooms in the main house next time. Either way, one thing we will definitely look forward to are the "to die for" breakfasts. It was great to have this time of the day to interact with other guests and share experiences and ideas. The accommodations, atmosphere, and overall hospitality were excellent and we greatly appreciate the effort Judi, Walter, and the entire Maine Stay staff provides at this Kennebunkport jewel. Thank you for adding wonderful memories to our first holiday visit to Maine!

Room Tip: The cottages are great for privacy, while the main house rooms are nice for the main house amenities...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

The Maine Stay Inn was an excellent choice for our stay in Kennebunkport for the Christmas Prelude. You can't get a better place to stay with awesome food, hosts and ambiance. Their breakfasts are to die for delicious, rooms warm and inviting and the innkeepers are friendly and helpful.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

We are repeat guests with Walter and Judi. This was our first year to come for Prelude. We have stayed in different rooms on the property this time we were in the newly remodeled #12! Two room suite with the best bathroom and shower you will find anywhere. The guests are a lot of fun! We spent 2 hours in a great conversation with several on Saturday night. We look forward to coming in the summer of 2013.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Stamford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Just left our stay at the inn - the place was very nice but don't stay cottage 10 - beds are as hard as rocks!!!! Other than that - very nice Inn. As for the Owner - she can use a little sweetness to her personality if you going to be in this line of business. Also - as a suggestion - I would display a menu of your typical breakfast - so people can say to you if this works or not. The breakfast did not work for me . A comment was made to our group - I wish people would have told them what like for breakfast - not very nice in her tone. So if you don't want devil foods pancakes .... email in. I was fine just having the coffee but could have live with out the comments. So the next day we made sure we left early - did not want a repeat performance. Can only speak for us - which we did leave saying - this was a lovely place but too bad the not so friendly inn keeper ways put the damper on our stay.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
kportinnkeepers, Owner at The Maine Stay Inn and Cottages, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
My daughter’s favorite book growing up was Alexander and the Terrible Horrible, no Good, very bad Day. Saturday I felt like Alexander. The inn was fuller than it had ever been. All sofa beds and aero beds were used. 47 guests for breakfast, the most ever. I planned a festive Christmas menu especially for the young at heart. Homemade devils food pancakes with hardly any sugar, topped with homemade raspberry sauce, mint leaves and a dab of whipped cream, scrambled eggs, sausage. The plates looked gorgeous and festive. As I was serving guests began announcing their food allergies and dietary issues to lactose, eggs, wheat, and meat. We request this information 7 times during the booking process and make it clear we need advance warning. I was very frustrated that I could not handle the last minute dietary issues. Apparently I was unable to hide the stress of the situation from my guests and did not appear like my normal warm self. I also apologize for not posting our menu in advance, we normally do this, but it simply got overlooked by my front desk staff with the overly busy weekend. Thanks for reminding us how important this is.

Your comment about our new mattresses being too hard is unfortunate. Mattresses are a very personal thing, some like them hard and some like them soft, but I can only say we do not ever have old and tired mattresses on this property.

It is too bad that I put a damper on your stay, as I had put tremendous effort into making Christmas Prelude special for you and all of our guests. A negative comment such as yours is taken seriously. Thank you for letting me know I did not fulfill your expectations. Constructive comments help me become a better innkeeper.

Been to The Maine Stay Inn and Cottages? Share your experiences!