“Best B&B in Maine!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Edgewater Inn

You added The Edgewater Inn to your Saves list
The Edgewater Inn
126 Ocean Avenue, PO Box 2578, Kennebunkport, Kennebunks, ME 04046 (Formerly Green Heron Inn)   |
Ranked #10 of 25 Kennebunkport B&B and Inns
Boston, Massachusetts
“Best B&B in Maine!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

My wife and I (and our dog) stayed here for two nights this past weekend. What a great place! The inn is decorated beautifully. The rooms are really nice and the beds are super comfortable. I also LOVED the shower. It is very cool looking. You can tell that they put some hard work and thought into the decorating. They also have air conditioning for those days where it does get hot. Caroline bends over backwards to make sure that you have everything you need to make your stay perfect. They even had dog bowls set up in the room for our dog. Caroline knew who we were the minute that we pulled up.

As for the breakfasts, my wife and I decided to order different things each morning and split them... that did not work well because after we tasted our own dishes, neither of us wanted to share. Everything we ate was fantastic.

The only disadvantage is that you are on the Bay side and not the ocean side. But otherwise, it is the perfect bed and breakfast in Kennebunkport. We already are making plans to return in a couple of months.

The edgewater inn really gives you the complete feel of being in a Maine inn!

Room Tip: If you are traveling with Friends, the cottage on the premises is perfect. It has 2 bedroom and a g...

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Phoenix, AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I stayed here this past weekend. I booked it on a last minute site and I was not expecting much. The pictures on the site don't really do it justice. I was very pleasantly surprised upon arrival. The inn is newly renovated in a sleek modern beach house style.

The inn has beautiful views of a cove. it is a little bit of a walk to town, but literally only a minute to the beach. This inn is quiet, but it is pretty much next door to the Colony which is a big hotel with a bar if you want to be social.

The room was great. It had a four poster bed, a comfortable mattress and linens, simple black furniture, hardwood floors and a lounge chair. The bathroom was also quite nice including a big stall shower. Amenities and towels were very good.

The breakfast was a winner (and it was included!). Three courses: yogurt and granola, tiny quiches and muffins and whatever you order off the fairly extensive menu. I had eggs and my companion had pancakes and we both really liked it. The service was very attentive and friendly.

The innkeeper was very friendly and professional. She greeted us warmly, asked how we were doing during our stay and gave us a tour of the cabin and luxury suite both of which were amazing. I think the inn is perfect for couples or girls weekends or reunions with friends. It doesn't seem like a kid place but there is a yard and it is close to the beach. I am sure they are welcomed warmly. The innkeeper has one.

I will definitely be back and I would recommend it to others.

Room Tip: The cabin and the luxury suite look like they would be perfect for a family or two couples traveling...
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

Enjoyed a really nice stay at the Edgewater, especially sitting on the porch overlooking the pond. Breakfast was spectacular. My husband had wonderful blueberry pancakes, and I ordered a Tasso ham omelette with lyonnaise potatoes. Breakfast came with juice, coffee, yogurt and granola, and an amuse bouche to start.

Kennebunkport, Maine, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

The Edgewater Inn has long-been a favorite location for my family and I to eat breakfast in town. The inn, formerly called "The Green Heron" was a local wonder, with breakfast that were legendary. From the 1970's to the 1990's, the GH offered richly made, from-scratch breakfasts that were complimented by a towering daily fruit list. We marveled at how the waitresses had to memorize and recite the fresh fruit offerings.

The GH closed to transientsin the late 1990's and it was a true loss to the town and to our palates. We were so happy to see the new owners decide to reopen the breakfast restaurant under the new name with some new updates.

The Inn retains it shape with some much needed makeovers ie: removal of the old floral carpet and wallpaper.

The dining room has been updated with new paint, furniture and artwork that lends an open, airy elegance to the breakfast meal. The beauty of the interior matches the view of the saltwater cove, and takes full advantage of the wildlife outside.

The menu is prix-fixe, offering a main breakfast course, tea, coffee and juice, and a starter of freshly baked corn muffins with infused vanilla honey. If you are a local, you can take advantage of the breakfast club and sign up to get a "sea glass" key. This allows you to receive a discount on the cost of the meal.

The new chef, Brooks Roberts is a Memphis-to-Maine transplant and brings a no-nonsense sophistication to breakfast staples. Each plate if neatly presented with elegant flavor combinations. We tried the Edgewater Benedict: a poached egg atop a Maine crab cake. The crab cake was almost entirely meat and the sweetness of the crab was complimented by the chef's lemon Hollandaise sauce. The benedict was complimented by a side salad ( a great idea for breakfast) that was dressed with good quality olive oil and sea salt. It made a great foil for the richness to the egg dish.

We also tried the French Toast served with Chantilly butter. The Green Heron menu offered chantilly cream as part of menu and this seemed like a nice nod to the former restaurant's roots. The bread is a challah dipped in egg custard and fried, served with the house butter and maple syrup. It was heavenly delicious.

We were given a tour of the newly updated rooms that seemed lovely and a perfect way to enjoy Maine. We are so happy that the Inn has re-opened and have been back three times to eat breakfast. They plan on opening for cocktails and light fare in the evenings during the summer. We can't wait.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

The newly renovated Edgewater Inn is absolutely beautiful. It is so warm and inviting. It has a home-away-from-home feel to it. I have been there for breakfast with my family and the food is delectable. There is a breakfast club for the locals (of which I am) and it is now my new favorite place. The quality is second to none. The choices are amazing. Everyone in my family from my 13 year old son, to my 20 year old son, to my husband and myself can't wait to go back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Orchard Park, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Let me start by saying that we have been staying at the Green Heron Inn (now known as The Edgewater Inn) for over 15 years. For several years we brought our daughters and would reserve "our room" for the same week every year. We enjoyed staying connected with other families that would do the same. Many friendships were forged. As our girls got older and our lives got busier, we stopped going for a few years. Several years ago my husband and I decided to take a "get away" vacation by ourselves. Our first choice was to return to Kennebunkport and the Green Heron. We were a little apprehensive and wondered if the inn still had that special feeling. To our relief, the Green Heron was as warm and welcoming as always. We continued to book the same week in the same room for the last 5 years. Again we bonded with several families who also made the Green Heron their home for the same week . We look forward to that week every year. This past August, under new ownership, it was a different experience for all of us. Although the inn has been tastefully redecorated, it no longer has that warm and welcoming feel. Trying to keep an open mind, we all decided to book for August 2013. We were told that the rates were going to increase somewhere between 20-30 dollars per night. Last week we received our reservation / commitment letter. It was an extremely unprofessionally written letter with several grammatical and spelling errors--starting with the first line. Not surprisingly the rate for our room has jumped between $60-70 per night with no extended stay discount. It is obvious that new owner is not interested in helping to maintain traditions and promote friendships among its visitors. We will not be returning to the Edgewater Inn. At least 5 couples / families have made other arrangements for our week in Kennebunkport. It's with a heavy heart that we leave our "home away from home". However, we will continue to make more memories and catch up with our "Maine" friends---just in another location.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Detroit, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Our visits to Kennebunkport are always a highlight of our summers and winters. We have come to the Green Heron (now the Edgewater Inn) for 20 years, and we have always enjoyed wonderful hospitality and local charm. We enjoyed talking with the owners and innkeepers over breakfast, and my son always enjoyed specialized pancakes created in the shapes of whatever he happened to have on his agenda for the day (lobster, ice cream cone, whale, etc). Our evenings were often spent with other guests in the common room or on the porch, playing games and catching up. This past summer, however, we found that no one sat on the porch anymore, and the TV and puzzles had been removed from the common room, only to be replaced by a chess board. The small refrigerators had also been removed from the rooms and replaced by wine cellars.

While I appreciate the "straight out of Cottage Living" appearance of the inn, it no longer holds the charm or personal touches that brought us back year after year. It is a "look but don't touch" inn - definitely not a place I would take a family with children - and we have decided to stay elsewhere on our return visits.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Edgewater Inn? Share your experiences!