“Better than home...” 5 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added The Edgewater Inn to your Saves list
and 1 more site!
The Edgewater Inn
126 Ocean Avenue, PO Box 2578, Kennebunkport, Kennebunks, ME 04046 (Formerly Green Heron Inn)   |
Ranked #14 of 27 Kennebunkport B&B and Inns
Naperville, Illinois
“Better than home...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

This may be our very favorite place of all. The hosts are warm and accommodating, the rooms are cozy and comfortable and the food is absolutely outstanding. It reminds us of a farm house and sitting on the front porch is very pleasant. It is convenient to the village and walking distance to the ocean.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

105 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Boston, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

My wife and I recently had a fantastic stay at the Green Heron Inn. Dan (one of the owners) was incredibly hospitable and accommodating, and really made us feel comfortable from the very beginning. Our room was clean and cosy, and had a great view over the water. Breakfast in the morning was particularly superb. All in all, highly recommended for a weekend away!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

We hit Kennebunk Port this October for some incredible Maine Fall Foliage!

I chose the Green Heron Inn because it looked very New-England-cute (!) was close to the village, and also close to the coast-line. I wanted to be able to easily go for a beautiful coastal walks.

Dan made the booking process a real delight - he was really friendly and accommodating, and even though they only had availability for one night, Dan readily recommended another hotel for the remainder of our visit.

When we arrived, he gave us a tour of their beautiful inn, and offered three restaurant recommendations - which we took! Coming back after the meal (incredible Maine lobster and delicious wine - mmm!), it was really nice to see that people use the house - guests were reading in the living room - very warm and welcoming.

The bedroom was super cute! Corner windows giving a stunning views of the lake, with herons and little ducks, bridges and trees. It was really special.

As everyone talks about we enjoyed the INCREDIBLE breakfast the next morning - four courses of smoothies, eggs, gourmet pancakes, coffees - fabulous personal service and really enjoyable.

I am docking a mark because we were woken up at 7am to a roaring sound that lasted an hour, and turned out to be the people next door showering. But it was unbelievably loud - not like the normal sound of people showering at home. My boyfriend lost his mind over it, as even with our 25db earplugs you could still hear it. I was well rested, so less angry about it!

Overall, this Inn gives you that wonderful New England getaway experience, it its a perfect base for the beautiful town of Kennebunk Port. We had so many beautiful drives around the surrounding area, through the leafy streets, beautiful clapboard houses, dawson's creek-esque sceenery, and unbelievably good lobster!

TIP: If you're looking for the BEST lobster in Kennebunk port hit the Clam Shack on Western Avenue. Not fancy - just great lobster!

Thanks Dan and Tony!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Villa Park, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

I was sooooooo excited for my stay at the Green Heron Inn after reading all of the reviews, but I can't say that it lived up to all of the wonderful reviews OR the steep price.

We stayed in the cottage because we thought it would give us extra "living" space to entertain and hang out with the others in our group who were either in rooms at the inn or up the street at the Colony. There was barely room for the three of us to sit and chat let alone have anyone else over! This cottage is TINY TINY TINY. The rooms were fairly comfortable and extremely clean, but that is about all I can say. For the price we paid, I would expect higher quality furnishings (that at least match) and linens. Even in keeping with the country/cottage theme, they could do much better.

Maybe there are people who want to cram into this cottage as is, but if I were the innkeepers, I would consider putting two double beds upstairs and a sofa bed downstairs...but make the downstairs more of a living room. This place was totally claustrophobic.

The breakfasts were lovely and definitely lived up to the reviews here; similarly, the innkeepers and small staff really couldn't have been any nicer or more accommodating.

I guess based on the price and location, I was expecting a whole lot more. I really feel that we overpaid for our stay in the cottage. (And was a little put off by the sign in the room requesting a tip for the housekeeper. At $2,000+ for six nights, I hope the housekeeper is well-compensated.)

Sorry I can't be more positive; I really wanted to love this place but it wasn't for me.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
greenheron2758, Owner at The Edgewater Inn, responded to this review, January 10, 2012
The cottage is a 2-bedroom unit. The downstairs room has a queen size bed and the upstairs has a double and a twin bed. The downstairs room also has a kitchenette. We believe it has all the amenities to make the stay comfortable. Obviously there is not much room to hold more than 3 people in the room, let alone to invite other people! At the price of $325 per night for the whole unit, including breakfast and afternoon treats, we feel that the cottage is competitively priced for the Kennebunkport area.
Washington, D.C
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

I have to start by saying that the breakfast here was spectacular -- I heard that it was once a restaurant and that the breakfast was packed; the owners should return to that business.

The rooms and public space in this small inn were clean, but in desperate need of updating. Our room was the worst -- in the very front of the house, with the only window right out onto the front porch. From morning until night, we had absolutely no privacy from guests sitting on the small porch, who literally seemed like they were in our small room with us. While I like dogs and was not put off by the idea of dogs being welcome, a number of small dogs took over the place, constantly barking. We came to Kennebunkport to go to the beach -- but the innkeepers knew little about the beaches in the area, and did not have the necessary parking passes (which many other places provide to guests).

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
We do have 3 rooms that are pet-friendly and we do not allow the pets in the public area. But we feel that the pets should at least be allowed to sit on the front porch with their owners. With the escalating prices of the beach passes, and in order to keep our prices competitive, we no longer offer free beach passes, nor do we advertise that we do.
Saxtons River, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

Hello,

We stayed this weekend with my in-laws who had never been to Maine. This inn is true Kennebunkport Maine. It is not overly romantic or Victorian which my husband was grateful for, while I still enjoyed the charm of a seaside cottage. Relaxed and friendly the Innkeepers were very accommodating and attentive. Being a dog-friendly property I will be the first to say these rooms are ultra clean and comfortably appointed. This is a wonderful choice for families and many rooms have walk in showers which worked out well for my in-laws who couldn't do stairs and big bathtubs. Over all I would rate this 4 stars and my family and I will definitely be returning!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Plymouth, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2011

We came for the first time during the hottest week of the summer. Everything was cool, calm, and collected at The Green Heron. Food, service, fellow travellers, everyone and everything was lovely. We are going back again this summer! It was really a great place to take our doxie for the first time. He was made to feel very welcome and the room we had went right out to the garden where he could do his business. All around it was perfect and located near everything we wanted to do or see. Only wish there were some restaurants and maybe a whale watch that Fenway could go to with us. I highly recommend Dan and Tony's place to everyone, with or without pets.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to The Edgewater Inn? Share your experiences!