“Great restaurant!” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Vegetarian, Contemporary, Eclectic, Organic
Good for: Romance, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Description: Tucked away on Cross Street in a repurposed old barn, in the heart of Kennebunkport, is where you will find Bandaloop's bright red doors beckoning you in. A warm, inviting, comfortable atmosphere with eclectic art and good music will complement your organic, fresh, and tasty dining experience. No pretension, just simple, friendly, and delicious!
Texas
“Great restaurant!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

Opened late. Great food and very friendly wait staff. Our food was very good. Nice wine list.

Visited October 2011

So. Maine
“Uniquely good in the 'port”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

If you can only go to one resturant in the 'port -- this is it. Creative offerings, nice atmosphere, wonderful hosts, prices locals can afford as a treat. You can relax here.

Get the muscles.

• Visited August 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Boston, Massachusetts
“Delicious and wonderful service!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2011

This is a wonderful, friendly, and delightful restaurant in Kennebunkport, Maine. The food was simple yet delicious!!! Loved the Ahi Tuna dish and their Beets salad. Make sure to visit if you ever get to this little town.

• Visited September 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Meriden, CT
“A Kooky, Fun Dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

Bandaloop is a very strange restaurant with excellent food. The combinations of items are very different, but delicious. My wife and I have dined there several times over the last few years and enjoyed ourselves everytime. The most recent experience had us eating at the bar since we lacked a reservation. It was great. Bartender had fun showing off his skills and giving us tastes of each special drink he created. Their take on macaroni and cheese should not be missed.
It is not what you might expect for a good restaurant, but you will be glad you went. Even saw Barbara Bush and her granddaughters there one time.

Visited September 2011
“Not to be the contrarian, but...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

Unlike my golf game, we had a sub-par experience. We went early September for my wife's birthday as we were in the area visiting family & friends in Kennebunk and read pretty good reviews.

I made the reservations for 7:30 and specifically asked for a dessert to be served w/a candle to which I was given the ole' "no problem" by whomever took the reservation. We arrived on time and we pleasantly greeted by rustic interior with exposed beams; a nice "homey" atmosphere. Things are off to a good start. We were promptly seated and given menus to look over. I was a little put off by the fact that entrees were standard (chicken, steak, haddock, mac & cheese, leading me to believe they're attempting to target tourists -which they obviously should - w/the catch all safe items and a few interesting ones). We always get a bottle of wine with our nice dinners, but I really had a hard time w/the wine list - found it very limited and not adventurous in the least, as if they did not put in the time to seek out interesting wines. Regardless, I felt as though the wines were simply there for the quick & easy tourist selection (I was raised in the area). Everything I read about the restaurant seemed to not be the typical "touristy" restaurant. Oh well. Strike one I suppose. We settled on some boring wines (sauv. blanc & pinto grigio). Not to jump ahead, but I can honestly say that this is the first time I ordered a wine and was so dissatisfied with it I didn't finish half. Just a really bad p.g. I didn't return it as I was the one who ordered it trusting the waitresses recommendation and not tasting it first- mea culpa.

Now for the food. First course was the Bandaloop Egg rolls w/gorgonzola, gorgonzola, gorgonzola, something else, gorgonzola. Holy crap. I mean, I love gorgonzola but let's tone it down a bit and let some of the other flavors work with it as opposed to being beaten down out in the woodshed. The dipping sauce was a fusion asian/italian effort that just did not work for either one of us. Just poor flavor decisions. On a random 1-10 scale, I'd give this a 3. Edible. My wife had a spinach salad which was a serviceable salad. Don't remember much about it unfortunately.

Bread service: I hope somebody reads this from the restaurant and at least thinks about what olive oil to serve their bread with. It could not have been anything much better than Filippo Berrio. Acrid. Sure, it's a small "free" item, but boy, it definitely detracted from the bread. It was truly awful. If it was a cheap restaurant, fine, whatever, but with mid-20's entrees, c'mon. Just don't give it. I would have been happier with those wondeful foiled cabot butters.

Entree courses: Me: A seared wasabi-encrusted tuna special. My wife: The Scottish Salmon w/a citrus & maple glaze. My tuna special was pricey, but I understand the cost of sushi grade tuna and was fine w/it. Although the wasabi encrusted sear was done well, the cut of tuna was clearly toward the tail. It was not a nice bias slice on a center cut piece, but rather a couple decent pieces paired w/smaller end pieces which really were too small to sear and keep raw in the center. Texture of course was affected negatively. I don't remember the dish's sides which tells you how wow'd I was. My wife's salmon seemed as if it was just a piece of Scottish salmon w/nothing done to it. The reason we all go out to eat is to enjoy food that we perhaps would not eat at home. This was truly nothing different than a piece of salmon. The server was okay and when she checked in w/us I asked what the salmon was supposed to have on it. "A glaze" was the answer. "Oh, a glaze. Well, what's in the glaze?" I inquired further. She checked, and answered a "maple-citrus glaze." My wife added, "Oh, because we don't taste any other flavors." "Yup, it's a maple-citrus glaze." The server left. Boooooooring dish.

Dessert:

End result: I feel bad posting a negative review, but we paid good money and were just completely underwhelmed and upset. I do not kid when we went home and ate anything we could find as the two of us were still hungry from not finishing our entrees. It was an unfortunate experience topped off with two cherries (no dessert was brought to the table nor offered - note the empty dessert review section, and we were over-charged by $10 on my tuna entree and was then given the responsibility of flagging down anyone to help rectify the issue and was thusly given a guilt trip by our server for what reason I still do not know). Many, many misses with virtually no hits at the #1 restaurant in k'port. Perhaps we picked all the wrong entrees, but we will not be back to find out.

• Visited September 2011