“Great ambience, good food” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Acton, Massachusetts, United States
“Great ambience, good food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

I'd heard a lot of hype about David's KPT from other locals who've visited the waterfront eatery since it opened last winter, so I decided to give it a try for lunch with an old friend. We arrived promptly at 11:30 and had no wait for outdoor seating on the deck and were given our choice of sun or shade. We chose shade under a splashy, big blue umbrella. The interior is beautiful, too, also done in shades of blue with lots of glass and light in a contemporary setting…very nice. The waiter was cordial and friendly and gave us lots of time to peruse the menu and catch up. We both enjoyed the fresh Maine peeky toe crabmeat salad and were satisfied with the portions and attractive arrangement of crabmeat on fresh greens, with sprouts, tomatoes, cucumber and thinly-sliced red onions. Nice light dressing made this a perfect meal for those watching their waistlines. We had to ask for bread and weren't disappointed with the warm, buttery rolls that added the right bit of richness to a healthy meal. Also pleased with the guys who parked my car (valet parking is included since the parking is tight in this new, popular spot in Dock Square.) I'll look forward to going back again soon and trying one of the sandwiches, pizzas or entrees. Nice addition to the K'port fine dining scene.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
DavidsKPTGM, General Manager at David's KPT, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Thank you Nancye T for your very kind words. I'm so glad that you found your visit to David's KPT so wonderful. We do have parking attendants during our busier times to help facilitate parking in our very limited lot. They work miracles out there. Our deck is the best place in the port to enjoy lunch or dinner. You'll find that our blue umbrellas have been replaced with a full awning that allows us to cover half for shade and leave the other half for sun. It will also allow us to utilize the deck in the worst of rainstorms.

I'll pass along your compliments on the food to David and his kitchen staff. They work hard to create fresh, delicious menu items that give even the pickiest eater something to choose. And David's garlic knots are known throughout the state and we have people who come just for those.

I do hope the next time you find yourself in Kennebunkport you join us for lunch or dinner.

Thanks,

207.967.8225

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Shrewsbury, Massachusetts
“Beautiful spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

Service was very good. Portions of food were more than enough. We had lunch on deck. Beautiful day and scenery.

Visited June 2014
Hi JC4867! I'm so happy to hear that enjoyed your visit to David's KPT in June. We think our deck is the best place to have lunch in the Port. And now we'll even be able to accommodate you even when the weather is less than perfect. We hope that you get the chance to visit us again soon!

Boston, Massachusetts
“Wonderful young woman bartender served up great burger”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

Friends and I enjoyed a casual meal at the bar facing a nice view of boats on the river. I don't expect much from good view places in vacation towns so maybe that is why I was blown away with the service and the burger. I abstain from alcohol and was so pleased that the young woman tending the bar made suggestions and then hand crafted a refreshing juice drink with local blueberries. Our burgers were cooked to order and all of our special requests were easily met. Having just spent time in Provincetown we were pleasantly surprised by the drink and food prices at David's. For a tourist location with a limited season the prices were very reasonable for the ambiance and quality. They are so customer focused that small blankets were available if the fresh night air turned chilly!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Thank you MegLark289 for the great review. We are so glad that you enjoyed your visit to David's KPT. Our "Front" Bar" is an amazing place to sit and enjoy the view of the Kennebunk River and the boats that come in and out of the port.

It sounds like your bartender took great care of you. We pride ourselves on providing exemplary customer service. Our bartenders are always happy to concoct a drink for you as long as we have the ingredients, with or without alcohol.

I say this often that compared to most tourist locations our menu is priced in such a way as to not take advantage of our summer time friends. We strive to offer quality food, at a fair price with great service. I'm happy that you recognized that.

Our blankets have become such a hit that we doubled our inventory toward the end of the summer. Of course now that we can enclose our deck to block out the chilly Kennebunkport wind in late August and September we may not need them as much.

Hope to see you again soon.

Stittsville
“Location is everything”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

Sitting on the outside deck enjoying a drink and lunch as a break from walking about Kennebunkport is lovely. The food is very good but a bit pricey. The clam chowder is very tasty and a bit different - almost spicy. The fish and chips were very good as well as the lobster roll. However a full lobster roll was $31us and looked huge so I had the half roll. It was more than enough and chock full of lobster.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hi Jill V. Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your visit to David's KPT. Our wrap around deck can't be beat during the summer season. It's the best place in the port for viewing the Kennebunk River. Now more than half of it can be enclosed so even during less than perfect weather days you can enjoy the view and the experience of sitting on our deck.

I'm so glad that you liked the clam chowder. David's recipe is a twist on the classic and is very delicious. The fish and chips are awesome and our full or half lobster roll has to be enjoyed while visiting Maine.

I do hope you stop by again next time you are in Kennebunkport!

Kennebunk, Maine
“I wonder what all the hype is about??”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

Went to David's KPT with a group of friends - they had been to Opus 10 last fall and raved about it and I had also read the Trip Advisor reviews prior to going, so I was anticipating a fabulous experience.

My overall opinion about this restaurant is that I was expecting a better level of service based on the prices. The dinner napkins at the table looked like high end paper towels, no cocktail napkins were placed under drinks or ice waters leaving them to sweat all over the table (and ultimately drip on your clothes as you took a sip), the entrees were delivered to the table by the wait staff calling out "who had the salmon?" versus referring to the sequence that the orders were taken. The wines we ordered either had only a couple of bottles in stock or were out of stock completely.

They also need to pay more attention to the cleanliness of the facility. The sun was setting during the first part of our dinner and it showed all of the streaks, smudges and attempts that had been made to clean the floor to ceiling windows throughout the dining room. I think they need to bite the bullet and hire a professional window cleaner. The ladies room wastebasket was overflowing with paper towels and the counters by the sink were soaked so you couldn't put your purse down while washing your hands.

If I go back to David's KPT it will be to have a couple of drinks on the deck overlooking the river (which the majority of the reviewers seemed to do), but I would think twice before I spent $75 per person on dinner again.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
DavidsKPTGM, General Manager at David's KPT, responded to this review, November 22, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review AuntieEl2014. We appreciate hearing from everyone even when your experience was less than stellar. I'm sorry that your visit to David's left you less than satisfied. We strive to provide outstanding service, serving a quality product at a fair price.

I feel as though you believed that David's KPT is more formal than it is. We consider ourselves upscale casual. We want everyone to feel at home in our restaurant whether dressed in a suit and tie or a pair of shorts and boat shoes. Therefore we've made decisions on how we approach service and presentation of our food that allows us to relax the formality of our restaurant. Everyone is treated in a "casual" way even though we expect our servers to follow proper steps of service. 99.999% of our guests seem to enjoy their visits to David's so we think it must be working.

I'm sorry that you found our facilities less than perfect. We do have a professional window cleaner who does our windows, unfortunately with the floor to ceiling windows in our dining room it is a never ending battle to keep them streak free. We would have to have someone who's sole purpose is to clean the windows everyday to keep them perfect. There is of course no excuse for the bathrooms to not be clean and clutter free and I've spoken to my staff about the need to check them more often.

I do hope you decide to dine with us again and enjoy the casual, upscale atmosphere that we've created. With our three bars, wrap around deck and beautiful views of the river we think we have an amazing place that suits our guests wonderfully.