“Give another try” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 40 Restaurants in Kennebunkport
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Late Night, Dessert
Description: We are a family owned seafood restaurant opened 11:30am to 9pm!
Amherst,NH
“Give another try”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

As a re-buttle to the owner of Mabels on my original review on Oct 16 I’d like to add; I was not trying to be critical of your food as much your employee (which looks to be your wife).

My wife also of 23 years and I work our own business. My wife and I on our worst day would not have treated customers in the way she did. In regards to your comment on serving 75,000 people in 200 days.

I believe you are exaggerating somewhat. In my earlier days I works at one of Boston’s best Italian restaurants. On Friday and Saturday nights we would have an hour and a half wait. The restaurant seated 3 times the amount your establishment seats and yet we would do around 350 people on a really busy Friday or Sat. Even if you multiply that by 200 days you get 70,000. The rest of the week we would average 150. So find it hard to believe your small establishment can do that number. If you are including catering jobs off premises then maybe you come close but that would have nothing to do on how you treat customers in your restaurant.

Furthermore it makes no difference if you serve 75,000 or 75, you can’t treat customers the way she did, under any conditions. I understand you need to stand by her, I would do the same. This was not 1 certain customer or incidence, she made several comments to my wife and I. Made a comment to both tables on either side. Then the treatment to the group of elderly customers who walked in the door.

In regards to your comment about you not being able to keep everyone happy, your correct but you can be respectful if nothing else and that is something your employee was not. You can have the best food and atmosphere in a restaurant but if you have someone acting the way she was, it makes no difference how good your product is, they will not come back, nor should they.

I'll try one more time. If I see the same results, then it was not a bad day and again I would suggest you find a more suitable job for her.

• Visited November 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Helena, Alabama
“Great Dinner!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We enjoyed eating a Mabel's Lobster Claw on our last night in Maine. It was a great dinner. We enjoyed the outside seating.

Visited August 2012
Canmore, Alberta, Canada
“Best deal for Lobster in town!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

We were looking for a casual but great seafood and found it at Mabel's. 2 pound Lobsters for $20! Great deal! The place gets packed so best to have a reservation. Well worth the wait if you have to wait. The Lobster Mac and Cheese was also a big hit! President Bush's favorite place!

Anthem, Arizona
“The best lobster in New England”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Mabel's is a Kennebunkpot icon, it is THE place to go for fresh seafood, especially lobster, while in town. They have a seasonal scheduled, closing from mid-October until spring, so be sure to ask if they are open before traveling out, but if they are open and you want really, really good seafood, stop in. It's a locals place, jeans are welcome. They serve Sam Adam's beer, along with other choices. Prices are what you'd expect for seafood, but not gouging. Enjoy!

Worcester, Massachusetts
“Charming”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Delicious food and down-home hospitality. Second visit to Mabel's and both times, we enjoyed the experience.