“Great Food, Horrible Staff....Stay Away!” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dessert, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Description: We are a family owned seafood restaurant opened 11:30am to 9pm!
Boca Raton, Florida
“Great Food, Horrible Staff....Stay Away!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

I went to dinner last week to this restaurant with my three boys. I called ahead to make the reservation. When I asked the owner if there was a children's menu, she said yes. When I asked her what was on it, she told me she was too busy to tell me and that I should go to the web site.........No, I'm not kidding. Wow. My family used to own a restaurant in Florida. Definitley not what I wanted to hear, and by the way, the children's menu only had about 7 items on it, so it would have taken her 10 seconds to tell me. When we got there we waited outside for a while, even with a reservation. It seems to be a popular place, even though the people who own and operate are very rude. Upon sitting down close to 9pm, we asked our server if we could order since it was getting late. She took our order and walked away. I overheard another server at the next table a few minutes later telling her table about specials. Our server never mentioned the specials. I called her over to ask her why she didn't tell us, and she replied "you told me you wanted to order." ???????? She still should have gone over the specials breifly. I then caught her in another part of the restaurant complaining to another server of what had just happened. In other words, she was all bent out of shape and defensive, when in reality, she had made a mistake. The bottom line, she was a nasty woman, and I would NEVER go back to that restuarant. It's not like it's a bargain.....my lobster was still $45 just like the next place. I believe in treating patrons with respect. Totally ruined my dinner.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Boston area
“Pretty good but no parking”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

In short, I found Mabel's to have above average quality seafood, but there is no parking unless you get lucky with the 10 or so spots on the street by the restaurant on busy Ocean Ave. The interior of the relatively small restaurant was out-dated, but the outside deck was decent enough, although during the summer afternoon I ate lunch there, tons of traffic on Ocean Ave made it impossible for me to feel like I was eating at a classic quaint seafood place up in Maine. The clam chowder was thick, rich, and creamy, perhaps a little too creamy, but still very good. I loved how the fried whole belly clams were lightly battered whereas so many places batter the seafood to much. Only real negative is parking and it's really to far of a walk from Dock Square. Excellent friendly service.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Syracuse, NY
“OK Food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

My wife and I had dinner at Mabel's on a beautiful summer evening and sat outside. My wife had clams for an appetizer which weren't very good, but had lobster which she said was very good. My dish was a sauteed and breaded seafood dish, but it was very dry with almost no garlic butter sauce....I only ate half of it.
The service was good, but the place is pretty busy so you have to be patient. Our seats outside were okay, but right on the street. Fortunately, there aren't very many cars speeding by on Ocean Avenue, so it was fine.
Overall, we wouldn't return there on our next visit, as our check was $90 for a so-so meal experience.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
New York
“Mabels - best lobster dinner in Kennebunkport”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

I have read some of the reviews and frankly have difficulty with them, these experiences have not been my experiences - I have been eating at this restaurant for decades,from when it was owned by Mabel and then sold about 15 years ago to the Fishers (Stephanie and Robert) - the recipes and signature dishes continue - Stephanie runs the restaurant and Robert as chef-owner runs the kitchen. The meals are delicious, the lobster perfectly cooked, the blueberry bread outstanding and the blueberry pie among the best I've ever eaten anywhere. The prices are reasonable. If you have a reservation (which is highly recommended), you are seated reasonably promptly - if you are a "walk in" there is often a wait during the busy season especially weekends. Many of the staff have been there for many years. Tables get turned relatively quickly so you are in and out in about an hours, it is not a 3 hour dinner. I have found Stephanie to be wonderful, her staff to be great, the service to be excellent (give them a break, they hustle, if you have to ask for water twice go with the flow and relax)

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Short Hills, New Jersey
“Dinner was fine until they served me a piece of half eaten pie.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

I ordered Blueberry Pie a la Mode and there was a sheet of ice cream (not a scoop) over what should have been the pointy part of the pie slice. As I ate the ice cream I noticed that there was no pie underneath and lifted up the ice cream to find that the pie was half eaten. When I told the waiter, he laughed and said that he would tell the manager. The manager never came over and the they had some other person bring the bill over. They didn't even charge me half price for a half eaten piece.
This was was the single most disgusting thing that I ever experienced in any restaurant.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere