“Perfect Getaway with my Husband” 5 of 5 stars

The Breakwater Inn and Spa
127 Ocean Avenue, Kennebunkport, Kennebunks, ME 04046   |
Ranked #16 of 25 Kennebunkport B&B and Inns
A TripAdvisor Member
“Perfect Getaway with my Husband”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2005

I stayed at The Breawater Inn & Hotel and loved it! The water view from our balcony was to die for! My husband and I were able to rest and relax every evening watching the sunset - while having drinks brought up to our room from the very attentive restaurant staff. It was the perfect weekend getaway from the children, jobs and the everyday. The staff could not have been more gracious -arranging dinner reservations and showing us on a map where to go in the area, the best beaches and the best places to shop. I would go again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed July 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2005

The riverfront/ocean location, water views, great service, and close proximity to the heart of Kennebunkport all made for a fabulous 3 night getaway my wife and I took to get some quality downtime ...without the kids. The hotel staff were as friendly and helpfull as could be. Each time we walked back to the Inn we were greated with a genuine question of "is there anything I can do for you" from the staff. The room (# 17) seemed newly painted, very clean, and the plush bed with down covers and large pillows were a treat. Housekeeping also did a fine job. We would stay here again in a minute...I hope to return.

N. Weisman

• Stayed August 2005
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2005

If you're staying at the hotel, don't pull into the Inn (just past the hotel) because you'll just end up watching the very helpful valet pack your car back up for the 25 yard drive over to the hotel -- not a great start. They don't offer the valet service for Hotel guests. By the way, you'll likely miss the hotel unless you know to look for it - the sign's on an awning that's very easy to miss.

The hotel lobby smells pretty bad. At best you could call it musty. The carpets are worn and the place is in need of a serious update. Lot's of other little things too - one newspaper in lobby for everyone to share. Front desk closed at 8 PM, Promised but no coffee in the morning - the staff didn't show up until around 9 AM.

But the biggest and real issue was our room. Room 202 is advertised as a Queen room with a water view. What they didn't tell us was its ridiculously small -- you'll like it if you've lived in a one room New York City Studio with four people you're whole life. My wife and I had no room to move at all. And the air conditioner sounded like a 1950's clunker and either froze us our steamed us -- nothing in between. Not a room to unwind in after a day outside at the beach or whatever. The other thing they didn't tell us was that the water view was at the other end of the parking lot. We had to keep our shades down when we were in the room because people 10 feet below us could look right in. My only advice is if you chose this hotel, DO NOT stay in this room and make them tell you everything about the rooms. All the rooms are right over the parking lot. We did move to a King room for part of our stay and it was much better -- still have the parking lot to deal with though.

This is $300 a night hotel and it most definitely not worth it. It's in a great location and once you're on the other side of the parking lot it has a great view as promised. But it's clear that management overlooks the hotel (versus the Inn) and people who stay there are treated as second class. So even with a great location, we will not be staying there again.

• Stayed August 2005
massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2005

My husband and I just returned from a stay at The Breakwater Hotel. We were guests for two nights. The room is spectacular, all the amenities are there, but the service lacks something. The lobby has a peculiar odor, perhaps from the fishtank. Ice is only available at the front desk, which closes at 8pm, even in August! Complimentary tea is a plate of cookies, nothing special. But my biggest problem was with the housekeeping. After our first nights stay, all that was done was bedmaking and clean towels. The sinks and counters were not wiped clean and no new drinking glasses were left. Rather shabby for the price of the room. And skip Stripers, except for the very good breakfast. The food is undercooked, over priced and very skimpy in quantity. There are some other fantastic restaurants in the area to try. All in all, our trip to Kennebunkport was terrific and we will definately return to the area, but not to this hotel!!

1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2005

We went to Stipers with my husband to celibate his Birthday. It was one of the worst dinners of my life. The waiter didn’t pay attention to any details and was constantly touching me and my husband. He was trying to be friendly, but I found it absolutely inappropriate.
I ordered a special which was a combination of lobster, shrimps, and scallops. It was tasteless … absolutely tasteless!!! I sent it back and ordered haddock instead. I was waiting for my meal and asked my husband to continue his meal, so it doesn’t get cold.
He was eating alone on his Birthday. Obviously the waiter didn’t know that he should take my husband’s plate away as well and bring both of them back hot. I got my haddock when my husband almost finished his dinner. The haddock was OK, that’s all I can say about it. It was very plain and spices weren’t used properly. At the end we ordered Crème Brulee (which was very good!) and the waiter put it on the table saying “Ops, the candle is not lighten up anymore”… there was no “Happy Birthday” song! He came back in a minute, reached over my husband, lighten up the candle, and said “Now I feel much better. Happy Birthday!” He slapped my husband’s shoulder and left. Unfortunately, our waiter was the only one who “felt better” after the dinner. I was so disappointed. I looked for a restaurant for a few weeks. I checked reviews and asked friends. I was very disappointed. I’ll never go back to Stipers.

I’m very glad we didn’t stay in The Breakwater Inn. We stayed in Village Cove Inn. It was really nice. The place is great and breakfasts are just unbelievable.

Stayed July 2005

Been to The Breakwater Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!