“Nice location, great breakfast” 4 of 5 stars

The Breakwater Inn and Spa
127 Ocean Avenue, Kennebunkport, Kennebunks, ME 04046   |
Ranked #18 of 27 Kennebunkport B&B and Inns
Los Angeles
“Nice location, great breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We debated between staying here or at the Cape Arundel Inn, and decided on the Breakwater because it was a little closer to town. What's also nice is that it has a small, rocky beach in front, and easy access to a nearby sandy beach.

The view from our third floor Spa room was excellent, allowing us to see the tide come and go and a parade of boats floating by (including an occasional Secret Service boat on its way to the Bush home).

The room came with a breakfast, which was buffet style, and could be eaten on the deck overlooking the river.

Room Tip: We stayed in the "Spa" portion of the hotel, which is more modern. Parking is easy and fr...
Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

124 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I just returned to the Breakwater Inn and Spa for the second time. This place is one of the best getaways. The property is perfectly maintained, the rooms are luxurious, the staff are all cheerful and helpful, the restaurant Stripers is amazing, and the Spa is 5 stars. This place is the perfect getaway that's the complete package. Even when my wife and I had to change reservations around, their manager Melannie helped us out and moved things around and made sure we had the perfect trip. This place is the best!

• Stayed September 2012
Redondo Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

We just got home from 2 nights at this hotel. It was a great getaway. The staff was very nice, helpful and efficient. We stayed in the main hotel on the 3rd floor in room 6 which was spacious in both the room and more so in the bathroom. It was plainly decorated but that was my only con. There is a great deck area for dining or you can sit in chairs overlooking the water. We borrowed bikes and rode around the area - which I highly recommend. This place was not cheap but it was well worth the money. A relaxing getaway with my husband. We also used the fitness center and had a spa treatment which was very nice. I would highly recommend staying here!

Room Tip: we stayed on the 3rd floor on the main hotel in Room #6. It had a nice big remodeled bathroom and w...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Montreal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

I chose this hotel because we previously stayed there 8 years ago. The breakfast is great, best coffee I have had in years. It's a buffet style breakfast with fresh fruits, muffins, bread, eggs, cereals. I loved to sit on the adirondack chairs at the end of the day with wine just watching the fisherman on their boats come in. It's a great location. Nice walk into town.

Room Tip: You should avoid queen room partial view of river with balcony. The room has 2 skylights but no lig...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Orlando
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

We had a very spacious room. It was an older building and when the air conditioning turned on and off there was a very loud bang. The bathroom tile was a bit on the moldy side. Otherwise, it was nicely appointed in a nice, scenic area. The linens were nice but it was hard to relax with the air conditioning noises.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

To give you a little background, I was looking for a modern hotel with a restaurant, bar, walking distance to downtown, waterviews and a patio. I do believe I picked the best property in Kennebunkport based on that criteria and am overall pleased; however, there are some opportunities for improvement. I am also including observations on other properties in the area as this is the info I was looking for (and could not find) before I booked. As a point of reference, I regularly stay at Ritz Carlton/W properties and was looking for a Kennebunkport property on par with White Elephant (ACK) and Harborview (MVY).

Positives:
-Absolutely amazing views if you are willing to pay for the room (I paid over $400 a night but am not complaining, far cheaper than ACK this time of year.)
-Large, modern room that was very clean and well decorated.
-Food at Stripers envies some of the best restaurants I have been to in the country. I had the chicken in a seafood restaurant and that was amazing. The dessert and wine list were great as well.
-Staff was very kind and tried to overcome blips.

Opportunities for Improvement:
-While room wasn't ready for early check-in (totally acceptable), the front desk said they would call me when it did come available. 3PM check-in came and went so I called around 3:30 only to find out they forgot to call me. In fairness, they made up for this by bringing my luggage (that they were holding) to my room before my return.
-Still on a room key (not "credit card swip style") system. I would have found this charming except for the fact the key has the hotel name and room number on it. There are nutjobs everywhere and even though Kennebunkport is exceptionally safe, even White Elephant and Harborview use credit card style keys now for safety. At least, try to code the keys and take room number off, anyone could dupe the key.
-Shower (see pic) was in desperate need of renovation. Shower head was hanging from wall with caulk falling off/showing.
-Was given incorrect information on intown trolley pick-up across the street and missed it on first day. When I called downstairs on second day, I got same info and probed more only to get "I don't know" as an answer. The correct answer was "May I check and call you back?" which unfortunately did not happen.

General Observations:
-Draws either a slightly older (50+) crowd or young couples with nannies. It did turn to the 30-something set at the end of the week, but clearly this is not their primary demographic. Surprising to me based on price point, but for all I know Kennebunkport may draw an older crowd.

Other Properties Nearby I Made a Point to Check Onsite:
1.Colony Hotel: Amazing, grandious old hotel with curb appeal that is across the street. And then you walk in and it smells like mold and looks like it was modeled from Dirty Dancing set (had mold smell not been so strong, this would have been charming). I was told there is no AC there but can't verify that - don't let anyone sell you on the breeze, it was 100% humidity for a good portion of my trip - you need AC. Made Breakwater look like a nursery school in terms of age, pretty much everyone there was knocking on God's door.
2. Nonantum: Steps closer to downtown than Breakwater. I think it was cheaper but it definitely is not as modern as Breakwater. It gets rave reviews, but I am honestly not sure why. Had dinner at Heckman's (the 6 seat pub) one night. Food was less than stellar.
3. Tides: Beautiful property on the water but you are a good 10-15 minute drive from downtown Kennebunkport.
4. Hidden Pond: Completely out in Timbuktu (I went to Tree Spa - the spa in tree houses which was worth the drive). Be forewarned, your GPS will turn useless at entrance. It does look amazing to stay at, but it is WAY out there. If I ever want to get away from the world within driving distance of Boston, this comes to mind.
5. The Grand: Smack in downtown with access to everything. If I don't do Breakwater again, probably where I'll stay.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 215, which I think was the best on the property. While the spa rooms are cheaper, k...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012 via mobile

Lovely view from our third floor riverside building room. Very clean and attractive room. Staff extremely nice and helpful. Also had a nice time sitting on the lawn drinking wine watching the river go by. Would recommend to friends.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Breakwater Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!