“Lovely ambience, but not quite there” 3 of 5 stars

The Breakwater Inn and Spa
127 Ocean Avenue, Kennebunkport, Kennebunks, ME 04046   |
Ranked #17 of 27 Kennebunkport B&B and Inns
Orlando
“Lovely ambience, but not quite there”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

We had a very spacious room. It was an older building and when the air conditioning turned on and off there was a very loud bang. The bathroom tile was a bit on the moldy side. Otherwise, it was nicely appointed in a nice, scenic area. The linens were nice but it was hard to relax with the air conditioning noises.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

117 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

To give you a little background, I was looking for a modern hotel with a restaurant, bar, walking distance to downtown, waterviews and a patio. I do believe I picked the best property in Kennebunkport based on that criteria and am overall pleased; however, there are some opportunities for improvement. I am also including observations on other properties in the area as this is the info I was looking for (and could not find) before I booked. As a point of reference, I regularly stay at Ritz Carlton/W properties and was looking for a Kennebunkport property on par with White Elephant (ACK) and Harborview (MVY).

Positives:
-Absolutely amazing views if you are willing to pay for the room (I paid over $400 a night but am not complaining, far cheaper than ACK this time of year.)
-Large, modern room that was very clean and well decorated.
-Food at Stripers envies some of the best restaurants I have been to in the country. I had the chicken in a seafood restaurant and that was amazing. The dessert and wine list were great as well.
-Staff was very kind and tried to overcome blips.

Opportunities for Improvement:
-While room wasn't ready for early check-in (totally acceptable), the front desk said they would call me when it did come available. 3PM check-in came and went so I called around 3:30 only to find out they forgot to call me. In fairness, they made up for this by bringing my luggage (that they were holding) to my room before my return.
-Still on a room key (not "credit card swip style") system. I would have found this charming except for the fact the key has the hotel name and room number on it. There are nutjobs everywhere and even though Kennebunkport is exceptionally safe, even White Elephant and Harborview use credit card style keys now for safety. At least, try to code the keys and take room number off, anyone could dupe the key.
-Shower (see pic) was in desperate need of renovation. Shower head was hanging from wall with caulk falling off/showing.
-Was given incorrect information on intown trolley pick-up across the street and missed it on first day. When I called downstairs on second day, I got same info and probed more only to get "I don't know" as an answer. The correct answer was "May I check and call you back?" which unfortunately did not happen.

General Observations:
-Draws either a slightly older (50+) crowd or young couples with nannies. It did turn to the 30-something set at the end of the week, but clearly this is not their primary demographic. Surprising to me based on price point, but for all I know Kennebunkport may draw an older crowd.

Other Properties Nearby I Made a Point to Check Onsite:
1.Colony Hotel: Amazing, grandious old hotel with curb appeal that is across the street. And then you walk in and it smells like mold and looks like it was modeled from Dirty Dancing set (had mold smell not been so strong, this would have been charming). I was told there is no AC there but can't verify that - don't let anyone sell you on the breeze, it was 100% humidity for a good portion of my trip - you need AC. Made Breakwater look like a nursery school in terms of age, pretty much everyone there was knocking on God's door.
2. Nonantum: Steps closer to downtown than Breakwater. I think it was cheaper but it definitely is not as modern as Breakwater. It gets rave reviews, but I am honestly not sure why. Had dinner at Heckman's (the 6 seat pub) one night. Food was less than stellar.
3. Tides: Beautiful property on the water but you are a good 10-15 minute drive from downtown Kennebunkport.
4. Hidden Pond: Completely out in Timbuktu (I went to Tree Spa - the spa in tree houses which was worth the drive). Be forewarned, your GPS will turn useless at entrance. It does look amazing to stay at, but it is WAY out there. If I ever want to get away from the world within driving distance of Boston, this comes to mind.
5. The Grand: Smack in downtown with access to everything. If I don't do Breakwater again, probably where I'll stay.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 215, which I think was the best on the property. While the spa rooms are cheaper, k...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012 via mobile

Lovely view from our third floor riverside building room. Very clean and attractive room. Staff extremely nice and helpful. Also had a nice time sitting on the lawn drinking wine watching the river go by. Would recommend to friends.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Salem, New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

Spent the weekend here with my husband and 2 daughters for a wedding there on the property. Our room was in the Spa building, it was a beautiful, spacious room on the top floor overlooking the docks. I loved that the room was very clean, with an extremely comfy bed. The staff was awesome, and the included breakfast at the Inn was nice. At $450/night I was expecting a little more, a pool, a beach, something? The wedding made for great fun, but relaxation clearly is the name of the game here!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Windham, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

My husband and I spent a very nice weekend alone at the Breakwater. The room was small, but nice and clean. It was the spa that made our time really relaxing and special. You have access to the showers in the spa as a guest so we took full advantage! The staff was very nice and hospitable. We would come back.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

Stayed there over a summer weekend for an anniverasary and the overall experience was great. The staff was very attentive and helped with all questions. Rooms were impeccable and the gym facility was as good as if not better than those in much larger hotels. DId not get to use the Spa but from the looks of it it would have been great as well. Rooms with a water view are a nice way to wake up, and see the sights. The Continental Breakfast included was very good and set the tone for a realxing day

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
redding ct
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

We stayed here for one night. The grounds are beautiful. The lobby and downstairs are very beautifully decorated though the carpet could be updated, looks worn. Our room was very nice and clean. We had a sitting room and a king size bed which were all very nicely decorated. The bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was in need of renovation. It really fell short compared to the rest of the place. It needs a major update. We also had cold showers both in the morning and evening. It took over 10 minutes for any sort of warm enough water to come out to have a comfortable shower. I told the person I checked out with and all I got was an apology. They should have taken something off the bill. We had dinner here and it was excellent. Great food, great service, lovely view. The breakfast was nice, nothing special.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Breakwater Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!