“Horrible experience at the Kennebunkport Inn!” 1 of 5 stars

Kennebunkport Inn
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Dock Square, Kennebunkport, Kennebunks, ME 04046   |
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Kennebunkport
NY
“Horrible experience at the Kennebunkport Inn!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2007

The Kennebunkport area was a planned stop over for the second half of a 9 day trip to Maine. After reviewing the Kennebunkport Inn’s website, I called and spoke to someone in person regarding the accommodations. The website showed both a main inn building and a wharfside building which included a “family suite”. There are pictures on the website showing the regular rooms in this wharfside building as well as a suite. When I spoke to the person at the Inn, I confirmed with her that this was their only suite. In fact, they were in the process of adding another suite, which was still under construction on the floor below. The three bedroom suite on the third floor was their only completed family suite in the wharfside building. We decided to book this suite based on the photos and description and the fact that it had a small rooftop deck with a water view as was described.

When we arrived at the Kennebunkport Inn to check in, we were directed to the wharfside building (which was much farther from the main inn building than I was told as well). When we entered the “suite”, we were shocked. The suite looked nothing like the pictures, particularly the living/dining room. The furniture looked to be at least 20 years old or more, the rug was extremely dirty, the small kitchenette area was old and dirty, as was the bathroom which had mold and mildew everywhere. We were traveling with our two year old son and would not have felt comfortable giving him a bath in that tub not to mention even letting him play on the living room rug. Even little things such as the television remote control were dirty. Additionally, the rooftop patio turned out to have a couple of dirty rusty chairs and that was about it. Needless to say, we were shocked and disappointed and immediately called the reception in the main building to express our concerns and ask what could be done (perhaps a move to the other suite (the one that was under construction when we booked) if it was available, or even to two separate rooms? - we were three adults total with a child). We were told that nothing else was available in the entire inn and that there was nothing we could do at all. She said we could speak to the manager. Since I honestly felt uncomfortable staying in the suite, we decided to go speak to the manager.

The manager’s attitude was not pleasant from the start. She basically kept repeating that there was nothing to be done. She didn’t understand what the problem was with the accommodations. Her view was that for Kennebunkport, these accommodations were very good for the price we paid (approximately $400 per night) and this is what she kept telling us. She told us very snippily that she couldn’t discount the price (which we did not ask for – we didn’t even want to stay there). We basically told her we wanted to be able to leave and find other suitable accommodations where we would feel comfortable staying with our son. She told us that they normally would hold us liable for the entire stay whether we stayed or not. We told her that quite honestly we felt the accommodations were misrepresented to us at the time we reserved. She then told us that there was an additional (3rd) building next the wharfside building that also had a suite and the pictures could have been of that instead. Nowhere on their site does it mention this third building and the representative we spoke to at the time never mentioned this when we discussed suites that were available. In fact, on their website it clearly refers to “a wharfside family suite” and “the wharfside family suite” in the description alongside the pictures we assumed to be of the suite we were booking. We offered to stay and pay for the first night (since at that time, it was already close to 8pm) if we could leave after that. The manager told us that would be up to the owner who was not there and wouldn’t be back until the next day and we were free to speak with her then. We inquired as to whether the manager could contact the owner to obtain the answer prior to us agreeing to stay the one night. The manager informed us in a nasty tone that “she’s home, she has a family….”. We have a family as well and did not wish to stay in what were unacceptable accommodations. The manager stated that she would call the owner and came back several minutes later stating to us that we could leave today or tomorrow but that they would be keeping the entire deposit and we were lucky that they weren’t taking the whole amount from our credit card. At that point, we told her we would have no choice but to complain to our credit card company and she replied “we’ll fight you on it”. We decided to leave and find other accommodations, something not easy to do so late in the evening.

My husband and I have travelled quite extensively and have stayed in both budget and luxury places but have never found a place that was so unnaceptable especially due to the misrepresentation. The attitude of the manager was totally unacceptable as well.

• Disliked — Run Down Conditions, attitude of management
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
kptkids, Owner at Kennebunkport Inn, responded to this review, April 18, 2008
I am writing to respond to this reviewers comments about their stay at the Kennebunkport Inn. I am generally widely open to constructive feedback and welcome it as it's the only way we can continue to improve but I found too many inaccuracies in the review and felt that it was deserved of a response.

The guests indicates that they booked a Wharfside Family Suite. The Wharfside Family Suites as depicted on our website have rental style accommodations appropriate for families. The suite they booked was indeed a Wharfisde FAmily Suite and in fact was the one that had pcitures on our website. This family suite was gutted and renovated the previous spring with new hardwood floors, a wet bar and new furnishings and was in excellent condition. While not in the style of the Federal architecture décor of the main inn the Wharfside Suites, as the website indicates, are bright, spacious, and perfect for family accommodations. The outdoor deck has a lovely white table, four chairs, and views overlooking the Kennebunk River. The comments about the room condition are incredibly overstated and just not correct.

However, once the guest expressed their concerns to us we did in fact offer other options that were available for them, none of which were acceptable to them. They insisted on leaving the property despite the fact that options were offered. While they state that the suite was misrepresented on the website, it was in fact the exact one as pictured on the site.

I do feel that the manager that evening should have handled the situation in a far better manner and was indeed not accommodating and for that I take responsibility, But I take issue with Charm 1225’s comments about the room décor, cleanliness, and misrepresentation. I am very careful about the content of our website and how we sell our rooms...I want to continue to exceed guest's expectations not to have them disappointed becuase we mislead them. To that effect I feel that this reviewer was unjust in heir comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Chigwell, Essex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2007

Stayed overnight at start of tour of New England. Nice Inn with adequate bedroom but outdated bathroom. Would highly recommend the Tavern for excellent cuisine in pleasant surroundings. Buffet breakfast was of a reasonable standard. Nice Maine town but not a lot to do in the area- ideal as first stop on a New England tour out of Boston but only spend one night !!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — bathroom
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Southeast Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2007

We arrived at the Kennebunport Inn which is a beautiful old house (mansion) and were told that our room was in the Wharfside unit. The desk attendant took us to the front door of the Inn and pointed out how to get there. I was a little concerned that we were being put in an old dilapidated overflow unit. Was I wrong. The front entrance was always locked since there was no one manning the entrance. Our room was one flight up (no elevator) and we walked into a comfortable, tastefully decorated clean room. Ther room was very cheery and done in blues and whites. Very comfortable bed. Two very nice cushioned white wicker-like chairs (they were really vinyl or plastic) were by the window. The view from our window was of a wharf area. When the tide was in the water was a pretty sight. At low tide it was just mud and trash at the bottom of the basin. The center square was just round the corner from the rooms. Breakfast was at the Inn which was a short walk from the Wharfside unit. There were two types of quiche, two types of french toast and the usual assorted pastries, cereals, coffee, juice, etc. My only complaints were 1) the AC unit was very noisy and 2) there was mold/mildew in one corner of the bathtub were the tub met the wall. In my opinion, mold and mildew in the bathroom are never acceptable in any lodging. All things considered though, it is a very nice place to stay in Kennebunkport and I would heartily recommend it. The question that should be asked however, is do you want to stay in Kennbunkport? The traffic in town was almost always bumper to bumper. The town center is nothing but overpriced tourist shops. You can take a ride to see (from far away) the elder President Bush's summer home, and I believe there are some beaches around. Other than that, we could not find much of anything of interest in the area. A one day stay there is plenty, unless you are there to sit and relax, rather than tour and sightsee.

• Stayed June 2007
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2007

I booked this inn for a romantic weekend with my husband.
I booked the most expensive room and was expecting it to be worth the cost. When we arrived the staff was very nice. They directed us to our room which was on the first floor past the "inn office" area.
Our room looked right outside the staff entrance/exit. I live in the city and was looking forward to sleeping with the windows open, not happening in this room, not to mention that there was only 1 window in the room. Angry at the fact I booked the most expensive room type, I went to the front desk and told them I was not happy. The offered a room on the third floor which once we looked at it was a much better location and quality. Not sure why we weren't booked in that room first. Although I still was not happy with the layout of the inn - again not being able to open the windows because the inn is right on the main street.
My husband and I decided to look for another place that was quiet and not on the main street. I spoke to the Manager and explained and she was very accomodating, although she could not refund my room charge (understandable - they do say non-refundable when you book) she offered to hold my charge on credit so I could use the room at another date.

I was extremely happy with the Manager's approach with accomidating us for a later date. My husband and I have already booked another weekend late this summer to stay at the Inn.

So I would recommend this Inn if you want to be located in the center of town near everything - food, shopping, sights.
But if you are looking for a quiet , romantic place to stay - I would recommend looking outside the downtown area.

But again the staff was great with dealing with an unhappy guest.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
beaumont, tx
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2007

My wife and I found this place when we found out our other reservations were made with a place that was closed for the winter. they were very accommodating. The room was very nice and the rate was reasonable. The Inn is located in a very interesting area of town and surrounded by things to see and do. It is a great location if you like to take walks to nearby shops.

We had dinner at the restaurant and the Lobster Ravioli was to die for!! The next morning they had our breakfast ready when we arrived in the tavern and it was an excellent way to start the day.

Overall, our experience was wonderful. It was the first night of a week-long driving tour of New England and it was a great way to start.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Kennebunkport Inn? Share your experiences!