“Absolutely perfect and exceeded...” 5 of 5 stars

Colony Hotel
140 Ocean Avenue, Kennebunkport, Kennebunks, ME 04046   |
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Kennebunkport
Toronto
“Absolutely perfect and exceeded...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2010

Absolutely perfect and exceeded expectations in all aspects
-very helpful and welcoming staff
-great hot breakfast
-beautiful view, situated on the ocean
-nice pool and lounging deck
-good food in lounge
-clean and pleasantly decorated rooms

• Stayed September 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
new york, ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2010

We were looking for a relaxed New England experience and we got it. Our weekend trip to Kennebunkport was a last minute decision, and my quick research on tripadvisor and frommers led me to the Colony Hotel. I was nervous on the drive up, but as soon as I stepped out of the car at the hotel's entrance and looked through the lobby to the beautiful ocean view, I was in love.

The Colony Hotel is one of those rare hotels where you feel like you are thrown back in time, but in a lovely and not shabby way. The pool area was delightful - what a view!, the location perfect for biking and walking, the rooms nice and quiet (we stayed in one of the separate guest houses), the breakfast plentiful and tasty, and the staff very accommodating and with terrific recommendations. We loved sitting on the porches with a drink and a book and enjoying the view. We ate our way through the area (loved 50 Local in Kennebunk and and had a great dinner at Katie's in Ogunquit) and rested peacefully at the Colony. There was a 3 pm wedding at the hotel and it didn't interfere with our vacation, which isn't a given at a hotel. And we were treated to a free Taylor Swift concert across the road.

We would definitely return. I wish that some of the older hotels in the Catskills, where my family has held reunions for over 50 years, had fared as well as the Colony. But that's a different area and story.

Interlaken NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

We loved our stay here. It is a beautiful property. I can overlook all the flaws (alot of prints and a little noisy because of the pool but properties such as these are few these days-and it was refreshing to stay in such an authentic New England property that we could appreciate for what it was.) Love the dogs cruising around....loved no TV.... We will def return....

Leominster, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

this hotel is a throw back to a simpler time. it is absolutely beautiful and the staff could not have been nicer. the rooms are bright and incredibly clean. just know that not all rooms have tv's or air conditioning. you have to ask for that specifically. the grounds and surrounding areas are gorgeous. an unbelievable breakfast is included with the room. it also has an olympic size saltwater pool that is heated. the hotel is directly across the street from the ocean and beach.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2010

I love the Colony- everything about it. I have stayed here many times before, and three times this year. This time was last minute with my family and it was outstanding on every count! Helped to have mostly sun all 5 days, but the staff is so genuniely good and helpful and I the charm of this old fashioned inn by the sea is a hard to describe its so special! One afternoon several women- who I did not know, and I sat on the beautiful wrap around porch reading our books and/or taking in the view of the pool and ocean. Somehow we ended up in this wonderful conversation about books we've read and liked (or not) and just laughed and enjoyed the company of each other. The Colony beach is perfect for collecting treasures-which we did each morning. While it is not a fancy hotel with lots of amenities, the place hugs you back if you let it. BIke rides are a great way to see the area. Goose Rocks beach is a perfect day outing and our dog loved the time at the Colony as well.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Cincinnati
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

This is the kind of place where people return every year. It's also a place that new people experience and enjoy for the first time. We try to go to the Colony ever year for about 10 years now. We love the amazing view, the ocean breezes and this nearly-100-year-old wooden, steepled hotel on the bluff overlooking the ocean. Kennebunkport is a casual walking town... so is The Colony. Not much has changed here over the last 100 years... and we are fine with that. Full disclosure - I'm a TV Cable News and Air Conditioning freek at home. BUT I love the open windows, cool breezes (supplemented with ceiling fans) and the peace and quiet that comes with a room where the only technology is an ihome radio. Think antique furnishings in great shape, fresh upholstery, hardwood floors, and amazingly comfortable beds an bedding.
The salt water pool is large and is surrounded with two rows of locally made wood chaise lounges with blue pads and thick towels. The pool overlooks the ocean and river inlet with magestic sunsets. The Marine Room bar and outdoor poolside cafe gives you the ability to enjoy a great lobster roll or salad bar without leaving. Poolside bar service (I even get drinks served to me while standing in the pool!) is outstanding and they KNOW how to make great drinks.
I read some comments from others about Dogs... It is a very dog friendly hotel and expect to see people hanging out in the large lobby or the expansive porch with their dog on a leash. There is a poolside area directly adjacent to the pool on the lawn where people can sit with their dogs on chaise lounges / under optional umbrellas. Counter to what I read, my experience has been that if that area is filled to capacity, they do allow dogs to quietly be with their owners directly adjacent to the pool. We have never encountered a problem with a dog... The Colony seems to manage the troublemakers.
The staff - from the servers at the delicous (included) breakfast buffet, poolside lunch, dinner, front desk, pool people, reservations - are all outstanding and customer focused. The people there want you to have a great and relaxing trip.
ALSO - if you have to have A/C and TV, they have rooms in the East House and Galant House with those ammenities. Beach - there is a Private Colony Beach just a two minute walk from the porch where you can enjoy the cold ocean water. The expansive Gooches beach is nearby. Great casual restaurants and a few formal restaurants are in the immediate area. We highly recommend Kennebunkport and especially The Colony Inn. Prepare to relax and disconnect.

Hartford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2010

The Colony was our favorite dog-friendly hotel. We plan 1 - 2 trips there a year just so we can vaca with our dog. .The dog policy has changed. Dogs are no longer allowed to poolside. (I was told over the phone that dogs were allowed poolside, but not on the chaise lounges - that was wrong.) They offer a small uncomfortably sloped grassy area near the pool for dogs and their owners. The area is uncomfortable; dogs pee right there; the dogs are all crowded together which is not fun.

I asked why it changed -- the response was they received a comment that they received complaints. They acknowledged receipt of a lot of dog owner complaints, including mine. They said don't expect it to change back. I find it odd since if I hated dogs, I wouldn't stay there at all - even with the new policy. There are dogs everywhere, every time we go.

This downgrade of the dog policy will affect our future travels. On the upside the private beach is still dog friendly and that was great.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Colony Hotel? Share your experiences!