“If you are into Train and Trolley's this is the place for you!” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Type: Specialty museums, Museums
Cambridge, Massachusetts
9 attraction reviews
“If you are into Train and Trolley's this is the place for you!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

My frist trip here was around 1977, and I've been hooked ever since, having been here at least four times since then. I've always loved Trolley's, espically the older ones.. After my visit here, my love for them shot through the roof! The have a huge ecletic collection of them from all over the world, including several from New England and the good ol' MBTA.

The place gives you a great "historical" feel and great way to go back in time. I had a blast climbing up on and exploring just about every one they had on display.

I think the people who rated this one or two stars, are people that just don't "get it". If you come from an older city, like Boston, New York, and most larger east-coast cities, you have a sense of conection with the past and history and this museum takes you back there on a Trolley ride.

Another great thing, especially for families, is that their refreshment stands don't take gouge you out of your money with ridiculous meal prices. They are very reasonable and a family of four can get a really nice lunch, including beverages, for $20-$25.00.

It's also a great place to just walk around and explore. And whatever you do, don't miss out of the fabulous Trolley rides.

Visited May 2012

Kennebunk, Maine
5 attraction reviews
“Family.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I liked that it was educational. I was pleased that it was not expensive. They had a lot of trolley's to look at. I enjoyed the tour and took quit a few pictures as well. All the staff were very friendly too.

Yorkshire
3 attraction reviews
“Trip back in time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We enjoy all sorts of museums but transport museums are amongst the most fascinating.

As is often the case, this museum relies on a lot of volunteers and a limited budget but there was plenty to see and enjoy and we felt the admission fee was fair. You can have unlimited rides on the trolleys in operation that day.

new hampshire
“Creepy and weird”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Based on the numerous positive reviews, I was very excited to visit the museum on our long weekend. I was extremely disappointed. The $10 admission is high. If you've never ridden a trolley or a Boston or NYC subway then it might be innovative to you but otherwise this was nothing new. The rest of the place is "self guided" and boy is it ever! There was absolutely no guidance of where to go or what to do . It was a mass of old busses and trolley's, most of which were filthy and filled with junk and garbage inside them. We were not met with any of the "knowledgable, friendly volunteers" that many other posters mentioned. Some of the workers were not even dressed as such and it was hard to figure out who worked there and who didn't. The "great gift shop" was dirty with low lighting. I wouldn't have purchased anything in there. The "clean bathrooms" were also akin to bathrooms in a real subway station - not a compliment. Our children were not with us but when we return to the area we will not be taking them - I don't think it would appeal to them ether. If you want a great trolley ride, pay the $16 and get a great, narrated tour of Kennebunkport seeing some beautiful historical sights along the hour long ride. This place was dirty and weird. It's a trolley and bus junkyard.

Durham, Canada
“A Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

My spouse and I discovered this great museum online prior to going on our bi-annual vacation to America's wonderful eastern seacoast. Our only sorrow was we had no children with us. This museum is a work in progress and a dedicated crew of both paid tradesmen and volunteers have made this a must see for anyone in the area. Besides the great ride on a refurbished trolley car complete with an informative dialogue by a period uniformed volunteer, the museum displays were very well formatted. A great gift shop, clean restrooms and the ability to roam freely on the grounds made this a trip to remember. The lack of signage did not hinder us a bit as this fine museum is all about discovery. They offer a discount to seniors and unlimited rides on a variety of trolley cars. Bob the trolley driver and Chuck the conducter were both a pleasure to ride with and we were especially delighted to find that Chuck was a Canadian expatriate. Both were fine gentlemen. I urge you to have a visit here and come early so you can see it all. The cherry on the cake by the way is the original adverts in the trolleys. A must see on anyone's list!