“Extraordinary” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 25 Kennebunkport B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Extraordinary”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

As the sign says as you drive in, 'Drive Slowly, Breathe Deeply'. Hidden Pond just quietly takes your breath away with its laid back appeal but with absolutely every detail of service and hospitality covered. They just don't brag about it. This is a place that needs to be added to the list of '100 places to see before you die' but you don't 'see' Hidden Pond as much as 'be' here. From the freshly brewed coffee on my verandah at sun up, the basket of suncreams by the pool, the free rides to town or beach whenever you felt like it, outdoor showers, picking fresh herbs, vegetables and flowers from their communal gardens, yoga under the trees, beach service with a paddleboard lesson thrown in... and then that stunning 'yes, we have a restaurant' which the world is raving about, 'earth'. Sublime. Please God, let me come back here at least one more time.

Room Tip: We stayed in a 2 bedroom bungalow called Periwinkle but I would take whatever is there - there are n...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
GeneralManagerHP, General Manager at Hidden Pond, responded to this review, August 18, 2012
Dear Sarah M:

I am happy that the signs provided you with a soothing introduction to the atmosphere and way of life at Hidden Pond. The resort was designed to provide people with an environment in which they could put aside the day-to-day and enjoy life's simple pleasures. It sounds as though this was exactly your experience.

We are honored by your compliments -- it would be a pleasure to be listed on anyone's bucket list! We hope to welcome you and your family back many more times over your lifetime. Please reach out to me directly when you would like to return.

Justin Grimes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Woodbury, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

My husband and I just returned from a magical weekend at this spectacular resort. We stayed in Bungalow #35 which is perfectly called Hideaway - which is exactly what it was. Beautifully decorated bungalow with the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. They describe it as the Ritz Carlton of summer camps and it couldn't be described any better. Each bungalow has its own outdoor shower, screened in porch and beautiful living space as well as a clean, updated bathroom. Every morning at 8:00 a breakfast basket complete with hot coffee is delivered to your door. Ingeniously, they keep the bungalows separate from the 2 bedroom cottages providing for two completely different vacations - with or without kids. This time, we were without, so we spent one day at the adult only pool which was beautiful and serene and quiet. There was food and drink service all day there. Another day the staff took us to the sister property The Tides Beach Club which had a lovely lunch in a totally different atmosphere - much more beachy vs. woodsy. From there we walked across the street to beautiful Goose Rocks Beach where attendants were ready and waiting to set us up with comfy lounge chairs, towels and an umbrella. Pure heaven. Hungry? Thirsty? They will bring you anything you might wish for. Each night the property is lit with torches and there is even a campfire with baskets of everything you need to make your own smores. If you want, there are bicycles available on property to get around easier. Or you can just ring the front desk and they will come get you to bring you wherever you choose. My husband and I though, chose to walk because it was just so beautiful being there. The town of Kennebunkport was only a five minute drive away. It was nice to try a couple of restaurants in town as well although it was tempting to just eat at Earth every night! We tried One Dock one evening and Nunan's Lobster Hut on the other evening. Shops were open on the late side so we wandered in and out of them which was fun too. Lunch one day was at Tia's Topside and another day at the Clam Shack. I would most certainly recommend this property for an amazing weekend getaway - or even longer. Justin (the manager) is always there to make sure everything is perfect as are the entire staff at Hidden Pond. It truly seems as if everyone there loves their job and loves the place. Special kudos to our favorite bartender Ben, who made us killer Bloody Mary's every afternoon. And another gem is Marcio who is probably the happiest guy on earth. Loves his job, loves the land, and is amazing at what he does which is pretty much run activities all day long if you want them. For both kids and adults, this place is incredible.

Room Tip: We loved our bungalow #35 - though we heard all the bungalows are pretty much the same. bungalows ar...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerHP, General Manager at Hidden Pond, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Dear glittergirl3:

I am so glad to hear that Hidden Pond provided you with a perfect 'Hideaway' for the weekend. #35 is also a favorite of mine -- it provides such a great sense of being "in the trees".

You've provided such a nice description of your experience that it really demonstrates how deeply you were able to explore both Hidden Pond and TBC. As you were able to see firsthand, having the dual relationship between the two properties is a really special feature. You can be whisked away by car and in 3 minutes have your toes in the sand! The beach tenders at the Tides play such a large role in ensuring that the beach experience is perfect.

It's true what you say -- we really do love what we do. It's guests like yourselves that make our day-to-day responsibilities rewarding and fulfilling. Ben and Marcio have such a great sense of pride in their work and the contributions they make to our resort. Thank you for acknowledging both of their efforts -- I will be sure to pass along your kind words.

Perhaps next time you can experience the 2-bedroom cottages with your children! Please let me know if I can be of assistance in any way as you plan your next trip -- we hope to provide you with another relaxing vacation full of memorable experiences, great food and tall bloody mary's!

Saratoga Springs, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Hidden Pond was amazing! I had pretty high expectations when we booked our reservations and I was not disappointed. The word that comes to mind is, "thoughtful" from the breakfast basket delivered to your door very morning to the smores by the fire.
The outdoor shower and the bungalow were awesome! We will be back!

Room Tip: Choose a bungalow away from the restaurant.
Dear tjmb1414:

It is great to hear you describe your experience at Hidden Pond as "thoughtful", as this is exactly the type of impression that we are trying to impart on our guests. We aim to deliver memorable experiences through thoughtful hospitality, so it makes me proud to know that this was evident during your trip.

I look forward to welcoming you both back to Hidden Pond in the future!

P.S. The dog picture that you showed me before you left still makes me crack up! What an incredible picture and an incredible talent that you have in capturing one-of-a-kind images.

Wishing you an endless summer in the racing city...

Wilmington, DE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

This is our second visit to Hidden Pond. Last year, we came without our kids, this year we brought the kids with us. We had an amazing time again this year, it even surpassed our experience last year which we didn't think was possible!

First of all, the staff at Hidden Pond is fantastic, so genuinely friendly and helpful. A special mention to Justin, many thanks for fitting us in last minute. Also, Marcio really enhanced our visit this year with a fabulous family hike and a great coastal bike ride. The property is so well planned and maintained.

Our kids had a great time making flower arrangements, picking blueberries, riding bikes, exploring the beach and enjoying the pool area. So nice for us to see them enjoy Hidden Pond as much as we do!

Another nice addition this year was the live music on Thursday night at Earth, my husband and I enjoyed dinner outside while listening to the talented performer.

Breakfast basket was a huge hit with our family, had just the right balance for everyone. The washer and dryer in the cottage is any mother's dream, I came home with no dirty laundry!

We can't say enough about Hidden Pond, rest assured we will be back!

Dear Rosey1230:

Thank you so much for your review -- I am so pleased to know that you enjoyed your trip this year as much, if not more so, than your first visit in 2011! It is great that you were able to share the Hidden Pond experience with your kids, as well.

We are thrilled and delighted to have Marcio as a part of the Hidden Pond team. His passion, knowledge and athletic skill almost make him contagious -- our guests this year have really gravitated to him and his offerings. I'm glad that you both and the kids had the opportunity to venture out to Timber Point with him during your stay.

I agree that the live music is a great addition to Earth this year -- all of the acts are local and incredibly talented. There's nothing more complementary to cocktails than excellent live music. It's great to know that you enjoyed the enhancement.

The entire staff and myself are always happy to assist in any way that we can. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly if I can help in any way as you plan your next visit!

I wish you and your family a great end to the summer and I look forward to welcoming you back as a family (or as a couple) in the near future. Cheers!

Bridgewater, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

We spent the second week in July at Hidden Ponds and it was a much needed tranquil and peaceful vacation. The cottage was clean and beautifully decorated. The out door shower was wonderful and we enjoyed reading on the screened in porch. We rode bikes to the beach every day and had lunch at the Tides Beach Club. The staff at both properties were friendly, helpful and courteous. The adults only pool was lovely. I didn't want to leave; we will definitely be back next summer.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerHP, General Manager at Hidden Pond, responded to this review, August 11, 2012
Dear alwaysajerseygirl:

First of all, I love your username -- we have had such a great crowd from the tri-state area this summer!

Second of all, thank you for your review of our resort from your stay in July. Your two favorite features, the outdoor shower and screened porch, are two fundamental components of the original vision of Hidden Pond. I think taking an outdoor shower is the ultimate summer experience!

I hope to welcome you back to the resort in 2013 for another relaxing experience in Kennebunkport.

Hopkinton, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

We spent a night at Hidden Pond and was amazed and impressed with everything. We stayed in one of the beautiful bungalows. It was very tastefully decorated, clean, very private and extremely relaxing. Hidden Pond is conveniently located about a mile from the beach. The staff was very helpful and friendly. We had stayed at The Tides Beach Club a month before and had heard so many wonderful things about their sister property. Both places are amazing and they are the best of both worlds. We went to dinner at the Tides (dinner was excellent) and we were driven there and picked up when we were finished with dinner by Hidden Pond. Nice touch! Also, breakfast was delivered to our door by 8:00 a.m. very quaint and charming. We ate breakfast on the beautiful screened in porch. After breakfast we took a walk to see the entire property. Bill was very helpful and informative. I can't wait to come back, such a wonderful experience! My husband and I have two favorite getaways(TBC and Hidden Pond) that we will be visiting frequently.Thank you Hidden Pond for a relaxing and wonderful stay!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Valerie B:

Thank you for your review of Hidden (as well as the great comments you had about The Tides Beach Club).

It is so common now that we have guests who try out both Hidden Pond and TBC during their time in Maine. The properties have such great synergry with varying feels and "personalities". As you were able to experience, the sharing of the amenities makes either spot a great destination.

I look forward to welcoming you back (and I know Damien and his staff at Tides will as well!) Please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly upon your return if I can assist in any way.

Kennebunk, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

We had an overnight in the Sweet Fern Cottage and it was one of the best stays of my life. The staff was incredible, the grounds amazing and my children loved the pool. The smores by bon fire were a huge hit! The bartender Ben was great and his service was above and beyond. The food at the pool bar was perfect for children and I liked the salad. I would love to stay there again!!

Room Tip: All the cabins are amazing
Dear Cyndi S:

Thank you for your review from your recent experience at Hidden Pond. It is so great to see local "Kennebunkporters" visiting us for an overnight! We live in a beautiful state, so sometimes "staycations" can be the best type of getaway.

I agree, the s'mores and the pool are certainly memorable features of the resort. Ben is great too, as he adds to the charm and allure!

I look forward to welcoming you back to the resort and seeing you around town! Wishing you an endless summer...

Justin Grimes

Been to Hidden Pond? Share your experiences!