“the inn was just what we were looking for” 5 of 5 stars

Kennebunk Inn
2.5 of 5 Inn   |   45 Main Street, Kennebunk, Kennebunks, ME 04043   |
Ranked #10 of 15 Kennebunk B&B and Inns
Westbury, New York
“the inn was just what we were looking for”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

This was our second visit to the inn
I just loved the old rustic charm, loved all the furniture in the inn gave to charm, i loved how the building was from 1799 i loved everything about it
We went up for the wine festival in kennebunkport. I loved staying at the inn because it was quiet and far away from all the craziness of kennebunkport but close enough to join in when we wanted to
the food was to die for loved it loved all the personal touches that the inn keepers and all their employees showed us
i only wish it was closer to my home because i would go there more often

Room Tip: i would ask for any room i have been in 2 different ones and also looked at the other rooms my famil...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

We stayed in a King Bed guest room at the inn and were shocked at how run down it was. Water damage to the floors and walls, holes in the wall behind the bed, a laughably tiny television and one of the most disgusting unrenovated bathrooms I've seen outside of a campground. A note in the bathroom reminds you to run the water for 15 minutes before hot water arrives. Probably the worst part was the headache inducing strong smell of dial soap that was no doubt attempting to cover the stench of mold in the room. All night and early morning loud guests climb the squeeky stairs outside the rooms. Just a gross experience and would not recommend. In the words of my husband "I don't think the owners of this inn have ever stayed in a hotel before..."

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Whether a business traveler (like me), a foodie, or in need of an unplugged getaway, this place is gem. Great conversation with the owners, and possibly the greatest cooking husband-wife team! Always a creative menu to ensure that a regular can try someting new. Wifi, sattelite, and a full-service bar too. Keep up the great work!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I'm staying in the family suite with my two children. Two rooms with a shared bath. The price is right. Decorated so cute. Walls are thin, but I think adds to the charm. Spotless. I would return and recommend others without hesitation. I'm not checking out for another day, but I love it here !!!!!

• Stayed January 2013
Beijing, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed here in early October 2012 for two nights. I thought the service was very good and attentive. The rooms are cozy and warm and I liked the small, thoughtful touches. The Inn has a famous restaurant with a famous lobster pot pie dish but I didn't have a chance to try it. I will say this: this Inn is in the decidedly more local Kennbunk - and not Kennebunkport. To me, this is an advantage...you feel more like a local. Also, speaking of local, there is a fabulous restaurant across the street called 51 Local: truly decadent lobster rolls and rotating daily menu - all locally sourced. parking readily available both in front and out back. 10 minutes by car to heart of Kennebunkport.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Amston, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

My wife and I stayed for the first night of an extended getaway at the York Harbor Inn in York, ME. We had an absolutely delightful time and we were truly looking forward to our 2 night stay in one of the Kennebunk Inn's "family suites". (Did you notice that I placed "family suites" in quotation marks? More about that later.)

Coming from the York Harbor Inn, we had just paid $99 for a splendidly appointed room with an uninterrupted view of the Atlantic ocean. We were close enough to be awoken by the sound ocean waves in the morning. They have a close cooking relationship with the Stonewall Kitchen if this gives you any idea how good their restaurant’s food is.

We paid significantly more at the Kennebunk Inn. WARNING: The online photos do not show the pictures of the gas station connected directly to the property, the commuter parking lot across the street, or the large dumpster right behind the building. So much for the Maine lodging experience.

The food was adequate but very overpriced with small portions. Not much to say there. ANOTHER WARNING: Some hotels that refer to themselves as "historic" are simply old...... really, really, really old. Kennebunk Inn is one of them. Our "family suite" was actually a medium sized room divided by a flimsy wall that was more like a privacy partition than a wall. There was an adult sized bed on the bathroom side and two very small children sized twin beds on the other side along with some children sized / quality dressers, lamps, etc. The original lock on the room's main door no longer worked and had been replaced by a very heavy dead bolt that was poorly installed so you could actually see the dead bolt sliding in and out of its resting place. Great security but poor presentation and not very relaxing. Go online..... They charge $152 to $295 for this experience. Really? You. Can. Not. Be. Serious.

The sleeping experience was (pun intended) nightmarish. The bed was lumpy, the room was cold, and intoxicated young adults were rampaging up and down the hall in the wee hours of the morning. We did not get the impression that there was any hotel staff "after hours" but we could have been wrong. The experience did make us appreciate the ad hoc dead bolt lock a bit more than at first.

We knew immediately that we did not want to stay for our full stay so we paid for one night and got a refund for the rest. There was some pressure to try another room instead but we had no interest in losing another night of our lives to this place.

The online pictures.... especially the professional ones..... are very, very kind to this place. You want a picture that does some justice to this place? Go to Google Maps and take a look at the satellite view of 45 Main Street Kennebunk, ME. You will see lots and lots of grey surrounding this address. Gentle Reader, that grey is pavement so please consider that in advance if the pictures fool you into thinking that this is a quaint getaway sitting on a grassy hill in the Maine countryside.

Fortunately, the York Harbor Inn was able to squeeze us into one of their few remaining rooms on short notice. The room was even nicer than the one before. We cracked a bottle of champagne and celebrated the salvation of our getaway.

Now, there are lots and lots of great accommodations in Maine that are truly historic, scenic, and present exceptional value - especially in the off-season months. This is not one of them. As my lovely wife observed of the Kennebunk Inn owners..... "They are scammers and they know it."

LAST WARNING: As another traveller noted, THIS IS NOT THE KENNEBUNKPORT INN so do not be fooled by the similar naming convention. This said, if you are easily pleased, have low expectations, and lots of money to burn then you can probably stay at a place like this and leave reasonably happy. If you are like most people then you will feel horribly taken. In the even that you choose to stay here rather than somewhere else after reading this then you probably deserve the experience that you paid for.

The best of luck to you in all your travels. May you find a special place that you return to time after time.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Washington Crossing, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Chose Kennebunk Inn as an overnight stop on our way to Acadia as other's have said because of the ability to book one night. I'm assuming most are glad like us that they are only staying one night. Very average rooms, uncomfortable beds, bathrooms from the 60's, and no service...I mean no service...breakfast is coffee and juice from a bottle set up in a side room, I asked for water and was given a glass from the bar with ice and some water after a long look.
The town is charming, quiet and in the throws of a "resurgence" this Inn could be right there with it with some attention to detail, a breakfast that is "real", and some updates.
You'd get a better deal and attention at the next exit up the turnpike at the Comfort Suites.

Room Tip: Stay away from the front of the house on the street side...noisy.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Kennebunk Inn? Share your experiences!