We stayed here for two nights for a long weekend with another couple from Italy. The property is beautiful and exactly what one might expect and hope for in New England. Service was also very good in general -- the staff try to be as attentive and accommodating as possible.
However, given the price point and knowing the high standards of service at Relais & Chateaux properties in other parts of the U.S. and Europe, we were disappointed by how White Barn Inn fell short in two particularly egregious ways.
We drove up from Boston on a Friday morning. We understood that they would be unlikely to check us in, so we dropped off our luggage and told the front desk that we would be returning in the late evening around 10:30. They assured us that the desk is staffed 24 hours a day and it wouldn't be a problem. So imagine our surprise when we received a call from the the Inn at 10pm, asking if we were still planning to stay at the inn. It was unclear if some of the staff were just looking to leave early or they were planning to give our rooms away (which we had already paid in full for in advance), but either way it felt like we were being rushed to accomodate them. (One of the staff later tried to pass it off as being worried about us out in the rain. If that was really true, he did a poor job of expressing his concern on the phone).
The second issue was a housekeeping issue. On the first night we used the bath and turned the jacuzzi on, which left some residue behind. When we decided to use the bathtub again on the second night, we were speechless to see that the residue was still there -- housekeeping apparently didn't clean the bathtub.
The inn does appear to strive for good service, and the level in general is high, but the two instances created the impression that the service is manual-driven and not something they really understand and care about. It's a shame because it's a really charming place and has lots of potential.
The one exception in our assessment is the restaurant, which is located in the part of the inn that is the original barn - Staff during both breakfast and dinner were extremely attentive and accommodating without being intrusive, and the food was excellent. For dinner, we had the four course menu which is plenty of food after the amuse bouche, palate cleanser before dessert and the mignardises). Recommend the halibut and the lobster dishes.
- Also Known As:
- White Barn Hotel
- White Barn Hotel Kennebunk
- The White Barn Inn Kennebunkport Me
- Maine White Barn Inn
- White Barn Inn Kennebunk, Maine
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kennebunkport--jewel in the crown of the Maine Coastline, perfect for your own ideal stay. The White Barn Inn (a member of the prestigious Relais et Chateaux) offers sumptuous guestrooms that boast true luxury and comfort. Surrender to our full spa experiences… energize and beautify as our Spa Director creates your personal revitalization. And experience the only AAA 5-Diamond, Forbes 5-Star restaurant north of New York City. Your stay includes complimentary continental breakfast daily. The setting is unique, encompassing two restored barns from the 1820’s. Here savor the rich flavors of New England and coastal Maine. Your White Barn Inn experience will bring everlasting, fine memories. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Expedia, Orbitz and Hotels.com so you can book your White Barn Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.