“Lovely place to spend a summer day or two” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Franciscan Guest House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kennebunk
Franciscan Guest House
26 Beach Ave, Kennebunk, Kennebunks, ME 04043   |
Ranked #7 of 7 hotels in Kennebunk
Keene, New Hampshire
“Lovely place to spend a summer day or two”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I spent one night in the White Building. The room was unremarkable, but there was very little night time noise from TV's, voices, children etc. I slept well, ate a wonderful breakfast, slowly strolled the beautiful grounds, walked to the beach and left refreshed and rejuvenated. Staff was low key and helpful. If you are looking for someplace to relax, breathe deep and enjoy....and don't have a lot of money..and don't expect high end accommodations...this is the place! As a single women traveler....I felt very safe here.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

80 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Worcester, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Stayed here with a women's group. On the grounds with a Franciscan monastery. Beautiful location with at least a mile of walking trails, along the river with spectacular views. Staff helpful, friendly and knowledgeable of the area. The rooms are in former school or renovated stables. All have en suite baths, and tv. Basic accommodation but clean and reasonably priced.

• Stayed May 2013
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

A friend in Boston recommended the Franciscan Guest House to us for a quick getaway in beautiful scenery. The Franciscan Guest House totally lived up to our expectations.

The drive from Cambridge to Kennebunk only took us 1 hour 40 minutes; less than we expected. Parking was available very close to the entrance of the building. The check-in process was fast and painless. The hosts are very friendly and gave us great tips for exploring Kennebunk.

We were lucky to get booked in a very spacious room with a big bathroom. The room got a little cold during the night but we just switched the heating unit on. It did a very good job in warming up the room in less than 15 minutes. In the morning, we started the day by visiting the breakfast buffet in the dining hall of the Guest House. The selection of warm and cold breakfast items was splendid.

The landscaping around the Guest House is beautiful. The sidewalks were lined by cute little solar-powered lanterns. We also explored the hiking trails on the property and walked down to the river. It was very peaceful and we were able to shed the stress of city life quickly in the lush surroundings.

We are looking forward to our next stay at the Franciscan Guest House!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Milford, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

My experience here was horrible from start to finish. When I arrived, they informed that I was incorrectly booked into a room that was unavailable. They said I'd have to look at some other rooms and decide which one that I wanted. They handed me a bunch of keys and sent me to wander around on my own, trying to find these rooms with no idea where to go. Finally, the one really friendly staff person I met did help me out and actually took me to the rooms to see them. One of them was dirty and not made up at all, which he apologized for. The other two rooms were equally unimpressive, drab, dumpy and not particularly appealing. I went ahead and took the one that seemed like the lesser of two evils.
During my first night, I found the bed to be extremely uncomfortable, so much so that it was very difficult to sleep. Not helped by the really uncomfortable pillows. Then there was the room itself. There is no way anyone could ever describe the room as cozy or comfortable. It's stark, spartan, dull, dumpy and drab. The decor is nonexistent. it's basically like a dormitory room. Breakfast the next morning was not much to speak of, just a basic continental breakfast just like at any other hotel. When I got back to the hotel in the afternoon and was cleaning up (there is no daily maid service at all), I discovered a bed bug trap under the bed. Just like a previous reviewer mentioned that he/she also found. And even better, there was a dead bed bug in the trap. Where there is one, there are many more. I wen to the office and asked if I was going to have to pay for the second night since it was already late in the evening. As I expected, I was going to have to pay for the room whether I stayed or not. I did not bother mentioning the bed bug because the staff was so rude and uninterested in what I was saying that I didn't bother wasting my time. They treated me like a dumb kid who didn't have anything important to say (yes, I look young but I am no kid). After that, I went back to my room and the Wi-Fi had completely stopped working, which was the last sign that it was time to go. Even though I paid for the second night, I did not stay there.
And that's maybe the most important thing. The place is VERY overpriced for what it is. It's so old and rundown and dumpy that there's no way it should cost what it does. You get nothing for your money except for bed bug traps and uncomfortable beds. I didn't even care about paying for a night somewhere else, I just had to get out of a place that made me feel uncomfortable and unwanted as a guest from start to end.

Room Tip: All of the rooms I saw were equally dull, drab and dumpy.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Kennebunk hotels

An American living in Northwest England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I stayed, with a group, for four days here, and found it great. As described in other reviews, the rooms are good sized, and while the furniture was not modern (ie, old style maple dressers and desks), the beds were very comfortable, the bathrooms were clean and modern (great showers with spa-style water pressure, very nice!) and the linens etc. were fine. All very clean, and in Jan. the heater in the room worked just fine.
It was a short walk into Kennebunkport Village, saving the parking hassles, and even with snow, the grounds were lovely, and plenty of the walkways had been well-cleared. It must be wonderful in other seasons. The breakfasts were excellent, too, with a choice of either full or continental choices.

Very good WiFi throughout the building, nice TVs and mini-fridges in rooms, coffee and tea fixings available all day, and two computers for guests to use.

I was here with a group, and the staff was helpful and accommodating, very friendly about any soecial arrangements, and the large meeting/working room we were in was just right. Good lighting, chairs, and very good meals. I think usually they may not serve lunches or dinners, except for groups, but they did great meal service.

I did ask about the review titled "Do Not Stay Here" and found out that there were preventative bedbug measures taken, since they can't control what comes into the Guest House, but I felt very confident that this was not an issue, and that the management had responded to that writer to her satisfaction, so don't be put off by that comment.

If you want a very pleasant stay in a clean and, though not fancy, comfortable and functional room, staffed by friendly people, this is an excellent choice. I will be recommending it to my family as a great place for a very reasonable cost, in an area of very high-priced other choices.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Lebanon, New Hampshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

The two positive comments are the location is great, near the beach and town, and our bathroom was updated and appeared to be clean.

The overall condition of the room was startlingly old and rundown which made it difficult to determine how clean it was. Surfaces were dust free however.

Just before going to bed, my husband discovered bedbug traps underneath the beds. The mattresses and box springs also have protective coverings. The question is whether or not there has been a recent bed bug outbreak or are these just precautionary measures. Also, when was the last time the facility had a pest control professional evaluate for bedbugs.

When we were leaving the next morning the staff did not have the answers and suggested I telephone Mike, the General Manager. I have done this 4 times and have yet to hear back. If I had heard back and received satisfactory answers, I would not be writing such a negative review.

The only option we had was assume there has been a bedbug problem and to take the necessary precautions when we returned home. Our daughter may not visit at Christmas due to this issue.

Again, if Mike had returned my telephone calls and was honest (?) some our effort and expense may have been avoided. Of course there were things we needed to do immediately upon returning home to lower risk.

I would never stay at this place again. Other than the possible bedbug issue, the place is extremely over priced for the condition of the rooms. Had we known this we would have stayed elsewhere.

The Chamber of Commerce should have never recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Kent, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

We booked in here for one night as we drove through Maine. Sitting on the edge of the monastery, this is a lovely setting. Our room was clean and comfortable. The continental breakfast was abundant; my husband who is a celiac paid a small additional amount to have the hot breakfast options which provided him with much more than just various breads and cereals. Our one complaint would be that some of the other guests in our house were quite noisy; I kept thinking I should just get up and ask them to pipe down a bit, but just as I was getting ready to do so, they would drop their voices. But before long, they were loudly enjoying themselves again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Franciscan Guest House? Share your experiences!