“For a group or on your own, a very good stay at a very good price” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Franciscan Guest House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kennebunk
Franciscan Guest House
You added Franciscan Guest House to your Saves list
26 Beach Ave, Kennebunk, Kennebunks, ME 04043   |
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Kennebunk
An American living in Northwest England
“For a group or on your own, a very good stay at a very good price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I stayed, with a group, for four days here, and found it great. As described in other reviews, the rooms are good sized, and while the furniture was not modern (ie, old style maple dressers and desks), the beds were very comfortable, the bathrooms were clean and modern (great showers with spa-style water pressure, very nice!) and the linens etc. were fine. All very clean, and in Jan. the heater in the room worked just fine.
It was a short walk into Kennebunkport Village, saving the parking hassles, and even with snow, the grounds were lovely, and plenty of the walkways had been well-cleared. It must be wonderful in other seasons. The breakfasts were excellent, too, with a choice of either full or continental choices.

Very good WiFi throughout the building, nice TVs and mini-fridges in rooms, coffee and tea fixings available all day, and two computers for guests to use.

I was here with a group, and the staff was helpful and accommodating, very friendly about any soecial arrangements, and the large meeting/working room we were in was just right. Good lighting, chairs, and very good meals. I think usually they may not serve lunches or dinners, except for groups, but they did great meal service.

I did ask about the review titled "Do Not Stay Here" and found out that there were preventative bedbug measures taken, since they can't control what comes into the Guest House, but I felt very confident that this was not an issue, and that the management had responded to that writer to her satisfaction, so don't be put off by that comment.

If you want a very pleasant stay in a clean and, though not fancy, comfortable and functional room, staffed by friendly people, this is an excellent choice. I will be recommending it to my family as a great place for a very reasonable cost, in an area of very high-priced other choices.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Lebanon, New Hampshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

The two positive comments are the location is great, near the beach and town, and our bathroom was updated and appeared to be clean.

The overall condition of the room was startlingly old and rundown which made it difficult to determine how clean it was. Surfaces were dust free however.

Just before going to bed, my husband discovered bedbug traps underneath the beds. The mattresses and box springs also have protective coverings. The question is whether or not there has been a recent bed bug outbreak or are these just precautionary measures. Also, when was the last time the facility had a pest control professional evaluate for bedbugs.

When we were leaving the next morning the staff did not have the answers and suggested I telephone Mike, the General Manager. I have done this 4 times and have yet to hear back. If I had heard back and received satisfactory answers, I would not be writing such a negative review.

The only option we had was assume there has been a bedbug problem and to take the necessary precautions when we returned home. Our daughter may not visit at Christmas due to this issue.

Again, if Mike had returned my telephone calls and was honest (?) some our effort and expense may have been avoided. Of course there were things we needed to do immediately upon returning home to lower risk.

I would never stay at this place again. Other than the possible bedbug issue, the place is extremely over priced for the condition of the rooms. Had we known this we would have stayed elsewhere.

The Chamber of Commerce should have never recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Kent, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

We booked in here for one night as we drove through Maine. Sitting on the edge of the monastery, this is a lovely setting. Our room was clean and comfortable. The continental breakfast was abundant; my husband who is a celiac paid a small additional amount to have the hot breakfast options which provided him with much more than just various breads and cereals. Our one complaint would be that some of the other guests in our house were quite noisy; I kept thinking I should just get up and ask them to pipe down a bit, but just as I was getting ready to do so, they would drop their voices. But before long, they were loudly enjoying themselves again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Kearny, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

My wife and l were skeptical about staying here but, thought we'd try it anyway. Well we were very pleased! The rooms are spartan but, very clean and well maintained. There is even a continental breakfast included in the room charge or you can add hot foods (eggs, etc) for $3 per person. We were there just as autumn began and the leaves were beautiful. The grounds are covered with trees and religious shrines. There's even a pool but, it was too cool for that while we were there. It was quiet and the check-in staff were very pleasant. We'd go back!

Room Tip: There are several buildings to choose from, the main building affords the best views of the estate.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

The peace & quiet of this place is astounding. Easy walk into town. Accommodations not fancy, but clean. Very nice people. Breakfast was fabulous! Everything home made including the donut holes, cheese, & at least 20 different breads & pastries. Great coffee.

• Stayed September 2012
Troy, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

We rented the second floor 3 bedroom suite (Kretinga) for three nights which comfortably accommodated all seven of us including our five children. We found the space to be clean, quiet and spartan, with a spiritual identity all its own. Authentic home made Lithuanian baked goods and hot breakfast served buffet style were the stellar attraction of every morning, a great value for large families. Sandy was our morning hostess, who along with a busy kitchen staff, including a Vilnius Lithuanian baker extraordinaire (forgive me, I cannot recall your name, but you are a Saint of a Baker!) made for a warm, hospitable visit! You couldn't ask for nicer people. The grounds were beautiful and well kept, each morning included a leisurely walk and morning Mass celebrated by the Franciscan Friars. Having returned home feeling revived, refreshed and spiritually inspired by this special place and very special people, we are already planning our next visit. Five stars for families on a budget who value and enjoy the beach and faith in one vacation. A small slice of Heaven!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Concord, NH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

Just spent my first weekend at the Franciscan Guest House in Kennebunk, Maine. I will definately return, hopefully this year. As with other reviews, the rooms may be dated, but they are clean and very comfortable, with everything you could need. The place is not fancy, but I did not want fancy. I wanted a quiet place to get away to and also have some spiritual time. The grounds and statues are beautiful, and interesting to learn about. Mass Friday evening and Saturday and Sunday mornings were very nice. Everyone on the staff that I interacted with were very friendly and helpful. Just a few minutes walk to either Kennebunk or the beach, but you can also drive to the beach because you can get a beach parking pass ($3.00 extra). Just get to the beach early, because there is limited parking. Wonderful relaxing weekend. Any questions, let me know.

Room Tip: I had a second story room in the main building facing the monastery. I would want the same room nex...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Been to Franciscan Guest House? Share your experiences!