“Outrageously overpriced” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Takeout
U.S.A.
“Outrageously overpriced”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2009

Came here specifically for the lobster roll after reading good reviews. You place your order at the window, get a number, which they call when your food is ready, and eat on an outdoor bench or at a table. The lobster roll costs $16.75 with tax. It was a small hamburger bun--it didn't even look like a full-sized bun--slightly toasted, with a smear of butter, a bit of mayo, and with lobster meat. The sign says there's one pound of meat on every lobster roll, but that was certainly not the case. Not even close. To be fair, the lobster was fresh and tender, but neither the size nor taste warrants $16.75. I've had much better lobster rolls elsewhere, all over New England, and this is a rip-off.

NJ
“Horrible Food / Nasty Owner”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2008

My wife doesn't eat fried food, so she ordered what she thought were just clams. When she picked up her order and realized that they were fried, she felt awkward asking them to exchange them for something else so she decided to deal with it. She tried to eat them, but they were disgusting! – all fried and hardly any clams at all. She even tried to take off the fried part and pick out the clams, but they were nowhere to be found. I went back to the window and asked to exchange them for something else and the man said "no". I pleaded with him and again with an arrogant attitude and a smirk on his face, he said "no". I asked to speak with the owner and come to find out, that is who I was speaking with! On top of the fact that they were disgusting, they were also extremely expensive.

Whatever you do, PLEASE DO NOT EAT AT THIS RESTAURANT AND SUPPORT THIS MAN! There are much cuter and quainter places right in the same area that aren't right on the road where you have to breathe in car fumes.

portage, michigan
“mmmmmm lobster roll”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2008

My husband and I were driving through the Kennebunkports as a part of a new england trip we took to see fall foliage (October 2008). We only had a few hours in Maine, but we wanted to stop somewhere to eat lobster and see the beach while driving through. The Clam Shack was on the way and looked like a cute little place! We did look at the menus of several other nearby restaurants, but for the same types of foods they were more expensive.

The clam shack had a diverse menu for very reasonable prices! Coming from Michigan I don't usually see seafood prices this low, i'm sure it's normal for maine, but i was very happy with the price of lobster here!

I ordered a "lobster roll" sandwhich with mayonnaise and clam chowder - both were sooooooooo yummy! For both things I think I paid about $18. It was the only lobster roll i've ever had, so i can't compare it to anything - but it was delicious! The clam chowder was the BEST i have ever had! My husband went inside the gift shop and bought a live lobster cooked to order, it was like $12 for the whole lobster meal. He said it was incredibly fresh and delicious too! We kept talking about this meal all day - it was sooooo good!

We ate in their porch area on chairs called "lobster-rondack" chair and enjoyed the beautiful weather. it was a wonderful coastal maine experience and it made me want to return and spend much more time in the state!

If I'm ever in the area again I'm definitely going to return!

Baltimore
“Cold buns”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2007

The Bun was on a hamburger bun instead of a hot dog roll. The bun was not toasted and the lobster meat along with the bun was cold. I always ask before I order if the roll is toasted but I didn't this time.