“Lovely Restaurant With Good (not great) Food” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The White Barn Inn Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 49 Restaurants in Kennebunk
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Romantic, Entertaining clients, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Route 9
Description: Fine American cuisine served in a fabulously converted barn. The White Barn Inn Restaurant is a AAA Five Diamond, Forbes 5 Star and Relais Gourmand property with four course Prix Fixe Menu at $106 per person, and subject to availability, a nine course Prix Fixe menu at $160 per person, both featuring the finest fresh local ingredients.
connecticut
“Lovely Restaurant With Good (not great) Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

My husband and I planned a weekend in Kennebunkport specifically to dine at the White Barn. The restaurant is romantic and quiet but the food will not be remembered a month from now except for my husband's lobster appetizer. My beef carpaccio was served slightly frozen and was quite tasteless, my lobster bisque was good but there was not a lump of lobster in it and the main seafood dish was tasty but nothing special. $17 martinis seem overpriced for Maine - this is not New York City for heaven's sake! The service was a bit pretentious with tuxedoed servers queued up to to serve dishes individually as if each diner was Little Lord Fauntleroy. We will skip the White Barn Inn on our next trip to Kennebunkport and opt for an amazing restaurant on the water that we visited the prior evening.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Dallas, Texas
“Overrated and overpriced.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

We ate here on September 13 based upon a friend's recommendation and online comments such as "best restaurant in New England." The ambience was great, the service decent (although our waiter disappeared for long periods of time at least twice), but the food was nowhere close to what we expected. My sea bass and my wife's lobster were presented well, but were not flavorful and were barely warm. The accompanying vegetables were similarly luke-warm. Our waiter recommended a glazed donut concoction for dessert, and it turned out to be an unattractive dish centered on what appeared to be (and tasted like) an at least day-old, and perhaps older, donut. My soufflé was actually a pleasant surprise, and was actually the only truly hot dish we were served. All in all, for $109 per person, I expected far more. Heck, for $25 per person I would have expected more. A real disappointment.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
WBIInnkeeper, Manager at The White Barn Inn Restaurant, responded to this review, November 23, 2013
Dear Mr. Mark F,

We thank you for your comments. At the White Barn Inn we strive to exceed each guest's expectations. When a guest replies with anything but "this is the best we've ever had" we are immediately concerned.
That being said, we are sorry your experience was anything less and we sincerely hope that you will allow us the opportunity restore your faith and present a valuable experience.

Warmest regards,

Ben Fraser
Restaurant Manager
Berlin, Massachusetts
“Best restaurant experience ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

These people know hospitality. And I don't mean "stuffy, make you feel awkward" kind of hospitality. I mean, "I really think they love me" kind of hospitality! Now I know they are paid to treat their guests well, and they don't really love me, but my dinner at the White Barn Inn was simply magical. The food was amazing, and the meal was interlaced with surprise between course treats, compliments of the talented chef. The staff was really there WITH you, meeting your every need without being in your face. I chuckle every time I recall my walk back from the bathroom, when I heard a little English accented voice say, "Madame, small step up" from behind me. If you are looking for a very special evening, and don't mind paying a little extra, I highly recommend you make a reservation here.

• Visited October 2013
Norfolk, MA
“Outstanding in Every Way!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

The White Barn Inn restaurant continues to exceed our expectations in every way. We were celebrating our 20th anniversary. We couldn't have picked a better restaurant! The four-course meal was outstanding (in addition to the four courses, there was a pre-dinner amuse-bouche tasting, a palate cleanser after the dinner entree, and a serving of petit fours after dessert). The waitstaff provides a highly attentive and perfectly executed dining experience that will leave you wanting to come back for more. Try their signature lobster dish. You must go to this restaurant. You won't be disappointed.

• Visited September 2013
USAFret
“Always excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

When we go to Maine we always dine here. It is one of the best restaurants we have ever dined in. The staff is most courteous and professional. The setting is beautiful and changes seasonally. I cannot say enough about the diner. Everything is beautifully prepared and presented. Be sure to have the wine paring as it really enhances the experience. From the greeting to the farewell it is a truly memorable evening. As you would expect it is an expensive outing but worth every cent.

• Visited October 2013