“Even before I get there” 1 of 5 stars

Shorelands Guest Resort
2.0 of 5 Inn   |   Route 9, Kennebunk, Kennebunks, ME 04043   |
Ranked #8 of 15 Kennebunk B&B and Inns
A TripAdvisor Member
“Even before I get there”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2006

First, Idlease & Shorelands Guest Resort is misleading Interval International members by providing a false advertisement on Entertainment magazine. Second, the employees of Idlease & Shorelands Guest Resort are not representatives of the company because the owner of the resort refused to be accountable for what the employees say to its customers.

I called the company on the morning of 6/8/06 and reserved a double-beds room, checking in on Aug 5th and checking out on Aug 9th, with one of the company employees with a nightly rate of $90.00. I gave my American Express card number and security code for the company to charge one day rate, $90.00, on the card to reserve the room. I got a call back on that day afternoon from the company saying they need to raise the nightly rate by $14.00 because no discount rate is applied in August/peak season. The company advertises discounted rate of up to 50% on Entertainment magazine for the international Interval members. The ad reads as "Valid for any room or suite. Very limited availability July 4 weekend-Labor Day weekend" However, there's no mention about no discount rate apply in August. Anyhow, I asked the employee, who called me to notify of the nightly rate changing to $104.00 from $90.00 that if I was to cancel the reservation on 6/9/06, if I could do that without any penalty. She said, yes. Next day morning, June 9th, I called and cancelled the reservation with the owner, Sonya. She told me that she had a note form the employee that I might be calling to cancel the reservation. I asked for a cancellation confirmation, the owner told me that they do not issue one. They'll just put my money back to my Amex card. On June 16th, I realized that the company gave only $79.00 back to my card. I called the company to find out why there's a shortage of $25.00. The owner says that they kept the book keeping fee of $25.00. The owner was very inconsiderate and rude. She refused to give the book keeping fee back to me. She told me SHE WILL SUE ME IF I KEEP CALLING HER FOR MY MONEY BACK. The company has a responsibility to be accountable for what the company employees say to its customers, but they refused to be accountable. Also, they should correct the company's advertisement on Entertainment magazine to include August as no discount rate applied month.

• Stayed June 2006

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Montreal, Quebec
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2005

Our family rented the Shorelands "family suite" this summer, and we had a wonderful time. The easy walk to the beautiful Parsons beach was fantastic. Our kids are not "walkers", so we found that if we wanted to drive to the beach and the parking was full one adult stayed with the kids on the beach while the other adult drove back to the Shorelands with the car and walked back to the beach. We were able to bar-b-que dinner a few times in the communal area - which was conveniently located next to the swimming pool (and the kid friendly jacuzzi) The laundry room was also easy to access making doing laundry a breeze. Nice little touches like a clothesline outside the cabin and adirondack chairs out in front made it a lovely relaxing family vacation. The kids had a great time - they made alot of friends and we look forward to going back next year.

• Stayed August 2005
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2005

I think most of the other reviews here are overly cruel. Good grief, you should understand that this is not a Ritz-Carlton property, it is an old-fashioned Maine vacation cabin court! My family stayed here for a week in August, 2004, and had a great time. We had a cabin with 2 double beds in one room, and a little kitchenette/dining area with another bed in another room. The cabins are older, some with additions to them, but with a lot of character and charm. Its true, the bathroom was really small, and the shower pretty tight, but it was workable. Our cabin was very clean when we arrived, and the housekeeping while we were there was good. Perhaps the best thing about the Shorelands/Idlease is the location. It is across the road from Parson’s Beach, which many people think is the finest beach in the Kennebunk area. Parking there is very limited, so it is great to be able to walk from your cabin right to the beach, along a beautiful small road, about a 15 minute walk. The office has a small number of beach chairs and sand toys to bring with you. This property is also within 5 minutes of the Maine Diner in Wells on Route 1. Talk about great food! Anyway, if you require pampering and luxury accommodations, or you prefer the plain environment of say, a Hampton Inn, please look elsewhere. If you would like to stay in an interesting place, in a great location, I can recommend the Shorelands Resort.

• Stayed August 2004
muffin1
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2005

With my husband and 3 young kids we arrived to find our so-called resort cottage just steps from a busy highway. There were dead bugs in the unit and cobwebs everywhere. The jacuzzi is disgusting surrounded by tile that looks like a toddler went crazy with a tube of cocking. The living room was furnished with a stained sofa and 1970 folding snack table. We immediately demanded a refund and was given a hard time. The owner was rude and blamed the condition of the room on us saying "maybe you left the door open when you brought your suitcase in"? She then said that the unit was not given a final inspection prior to us checking in because we arrived early. When I asked why she allowed us to check in and not come back later, she couldn't answer. The swimming pool is crumbling and the office is cluttered with junk. We finally got our money back, less a $25 cancellation fee. When we got to our new hotel, we noticed our video camera and toiltries bag missing. We called the Shorelands who did have the toiletries but conveniently had no sight of my $500 camera with a priceless tape of my kids inside. I'm not saying they took it but I think it's awfully ironic. This is a dumpy establishment and the female owner is a witch. Maybe it's okay to treat guests like that in her foreign country. I wish we read these other reviews before wasting all our time.

• Stayed July 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2005

I had a very poor experience at this resort. I went there with my girlfriend for her birthday. We booked two nights but left after the first.

1). The walls between the cabins are paper thing---you hear absolutely everything. I was staying in a J room---one of their nicest rooms.

2). Lots of mosquitoes in the area.

3). The toilet broke and because it was after 5pm they couldn't fix it---at 5 their handyman leaves and they don't have anyone on call to come repair things.

4). The shower would shift from extreme hot to extreme cold every 30 seconds without touching the knob and when I reported it to them they said they couldn't do anything because it was after 5pm.

They offered me another vacant room but it wasn't nearly as nice as the room I rented. I asked to get a refund and said I preferred to leave and they refused to refund me. Their service was very rude---the person at the front desk wouldn't even call the manager to discuss a refund. He was also reluctant to come up with a solution to fix the toilet and shower. In the end I left, called my credit card and had them cancel payment for the second night and ended up staying at the Rhumb Line in Kennebunkport--a much better place, thought slightly more money...

• Stayed July 2005
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2005

The web site is misleading, the rooms are tiny, the road is close and the hot tub is almost in the road, but for an inexpensive stay, it's a clean bedroom - even though it's cramped.

• Stayed July 2003
boca raton fl
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2004

We stayed in cottage #3 which was a very nice size, plenty of storage room. Huge bathroom. Parking right outside door. We were pretty close to the highway and it was not too loud. Breakfast was good with homemade muffins and coffee. Located across the street from the road leading to Parsons beach. Easy and beautiful walk about 1/2 mile. Fantastic, pet friendly beach! Room had well equipped kitchenette. I would definetly stay here again and probably in the same room. Located pretty far from shopping areas in kennebunkport if thats what youre looking for. Easy access off I95.

Been to Shorelands Guest Resort? Share your experiences!