“Double Disappointment” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Maine
“Double Disappointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

I along with friends ate at Pedros in the first week of its operation and had a disappointing experience. Last week we decided to give them a second chance due to the fact that everyone deserves an opportunity to redeem themselves. Unfortunately, it disappointed us a second time. It continues to lack in service and quality food. I must say that in all the Mexican style restaurants that I have eaten in over the years there has never been a time that I had to pay for chips and salsa. When you've eaten excellent Mexican food it's difficult to say that Pedros is all that.

• Visited July 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

massachusetts
“Wanted to love it. Been 5 times now and disappointed each time!!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

First, the service is unpredictable. Sometimes it has been great and sometimes, like today, horrible. The menu is very small with 1/3 of the items listed only available 1 day a week. The food is unpredictable also when it comes to the spice level. Sometimes it is very bland and sometimes so spicy it is inedible. I have never been to a mexican restaurant that charge for the chips and salsa. The salsa is very good. The chips are thick like a pita, hard and overcooked. The price is only $2 so its not a huge deal. The problem is when you spend $8 for guacamole and it comes in a bowl without anything to dip into it. If you want chips you have to order the chips and salsa and use those chips. Guacamole has very little flavor but I do believe it is fresh not prepackaged as other reviewers have said because I have been there when guac was not available because the avocados were not ripe. The cocktails are good. I have had the sangria, margarita and a grapefruit cocktail and all were solid. Ice tea and soda do not include refills which can be bad if it is a time when the food is too spicy. I have been with friends and family. No childrens menu. Burrito on a plate, cold and unappealing. Enchiladas were fair, rice and beans have been consistently cold or had texture of being scooped out of a pan made who knows when and reheated in microwave. Fajitas only available Mondays. Yes, only on Mondays. Great location, poor parking, great decor inside. Left each time feeling like spent way too much for what we got.

• Visited August 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Ohio
“I've Had Better Food at Chipotle”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

My family and I were really looking forward to checking out this restaurant in Kennebunkport during our vacation this week, but boy, were we sorely disappointed! Previous reviewers who noted the food's pre-made quality and tendency toward blandness in some things and spicyness in others were exactly right. Everything tasted like an amateur cook had whipped it up. Chips that were more pita than tortilla, bland tough chicken in my tacos, way too spicy sauce on top of it, rice that seemed like it could have come out of a microwave meal. Ugh! I've eaten more authentic Mexican fare at Chipotle. In addition, there's no kid's menu and when we ordered my daughter a cheese quesadilla, we had to order a side of rice to go with it. Imagine our horror when the bill came and we'd been charged $4 for a half-cup serving. There are too many great restaurants in this area to waste your time and money here. Skip Pedro's and go to Mabel's Lobster Claw instead. You won't be sorry you did.

• Visited August 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Kennebunk, Maine
“Disappointing!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

First of all, Pedro's has lovely decor, friendly atmosphere, but is more of a local watering hole than much of a restaurant. Prices for a mexican restaurant are on the higher side and you get nothing special for the price. Much of the food seems to be pre- made and just heated up before serving. I had a burrito that was cold inside and had to be sent back and when it returned it still was not that warm. Knowing that this restaurant had been opened a very short while, I returned two months later, only to have the same experience. Cold burrito, slow service. So no, I do not recommend this restaurant and am amazed at seeing the "great" reviews. They must be family and friends.

Visited October 2010
southern Maine
“Fresh and Tasty!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

I read some reviews before going here with by Boyfriend, and I've got one thing to say "Don't Listen To The Bad Reviews!" We live pretty close to Portland and just wanted a change of scenery. After I read a review on MaineToday.com and it sounded like something we'd be into.

The service was terrific. We were well catered to and picked a nice seat on the deck. The drink special was excellent and the sangria roja also was perfect! Brian had the tasting flight which included three top shelf 3/4shots of tequila and a shot of their house sangrita for $12 (so good we called for the recipe!)
We had the chips and salsa (again house made and big deal its $2 for those complaining) and then an order of flautas which didn't last very long on our plate! We ordered two small plates of tacos, I had the Chicken tinga and he had the mahi mahi those who are complaining about how you have to pay $3 more for the rice and beans are crazy! those two tacos and appetizers filled up right up! They were stuffed full of goodness those who think they paid too much and were not seeing enough food on their plate must be used to chilli's and taco bell this was plenty of food and of great quality =) Everything was home-made and fresh. We plan on going back very soon to try more of their menu.

• Visited July 2011