“Idyllic Setting” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hulls Cove
UK
“Idyllic Setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We stayed at The Colony for 2 nights in October 2012 as part of a New England fly drive from the UK. It is in an ideal location in Bar Harbor with stunning views out to sea. The accommodation is excellent, spacious and clean and this stay was one of the few places we stayed at where the wife and I had our own bedroom. A pleasant change after staying in hotel rooms that allegedly cater for a family of 4! The kids had a bed each in the main lounge area (one pull down sofa) and we had a decent sized bathroom.
In comparison to many other places locally, The Colony is very good value for money and they even accommodated us on the first night when we accidentally arrived one day early! (I'm blaming the wife for that one!)
The staff are very friendly and helpful and we wished we could have stayed for longer.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Fort William, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Highly recommended - yes - like the others say, it is a little dated but otherwise I would say it is a stunning location. Right next to Acadia so an easy drive if you want to get up and watch the sunrise in the morning. Stunning photo opportunities right across the road on the beach too though!
I had made an error with our reservation but the owner offered me an alternative which was great - very clean and tidy and the setting is really quaint.

Wouldn't hesitate to return....

Room Tip: The cottages closest to the road would have the best view but also more traffic noise. A great find...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

Spent two nights here in early October. Picked the cottages randomly, but liked the short drive to park and downtown Bar Harbor.

First cottage 31a was clean and comfortable, the room has a double bed and a twin bed. The decor is a little dated, but reminds me of visiting Maine as a kid, classic oak or maple furniture, squeaky screen doors, etc. The bed was okay- but the shower pressure is what impressed me!

We decided to stay a second night and since we didn't have reservations, we had to move rooms which was fine, we got a cabin with a king bed and a twin bed.

This is a family run establishment and in speaking with the owners, they are planning some updates for the interiors of all the cabins.

We looked at the motel rooms while we were there. Large enough rooms, but the cabins are just vintage Maine.

Overall a great value, good service, excellent location and view.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
China, Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We had no reservations for the Sunday night of Columbus Day weekend, and stumbled upon this place. They had two rooms available in the hotel, so we booked them. As others have mentioned, the buildings are older and the decor is dated, but it was clean, quiet and we slept well. I got up early and had a fairly hot shower - no complaints. My husband slept in and about an hour and a half later had an ice cold shower. At that point, there was nothing to do except shower as fast as he could. I called the office, no answer, so I walked down to the office. The lady at the desk (owner?) was very pleasant. Apparently this was the first complaint about no hot water (although I told her someone outside our window was also talking about a cold shower). I also told her my daughter was staying in a different room. She asked me to check with my daughter, so I did. I walked back to the office and told her that my daughter also had no hot water in her room. She seemed genuinely concerned, and asked me to tell the man (her son?) out front in the golf cart. I did, and he said he would go check it out, and headed toward the motel building. An hour later when we checked out (after my daughter's cold shower in her room), I nicely asked the man (another son?) at the desk if they were going to do anything about our bill because of no hot water. I wasn't looking for them to comp our bill, but perhaps a small credit for the inconvenience of ice cold showers in our two rooms. He told me that the furnace was working fine when they checked, that the hot water is on demand, and that it was working in one of the rooms they went into. I asked him to come into the room I was checking out of to test the water temperature, but he said there was no one else there, and he couldn't leave. He acted annoyed and like he couldn't have cared less. If it wasn't for this unfortunate incident and the attitude at check-out, I may have recommended The Colony. However, I would be reluctant to stay here again.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Oak Hills, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Quaint cottages with awesome view of Hull Cove - we stumbled upon this place and are so glad we did. It is a family run place and we were treated well. The cottages are old but add to the ambiance of visiting one of the oldest National Parks in the United States. The furniture even appears to be vintage - no new plastic junk. Our cottage had a small refrigerator and microwave The cottage very clean and had no odor at all - especially since they allow dogs.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

I was referred to this location by a local realtor who recommended this and Eden Village. While researching, I tried to call The Colony several time, but the hotel would not answer the phone. When they did, I was hung up on. Thought it was a fluke, so I tried -- two other times. Same result.

What a shame. We will look elsewhere for our upcoming stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Scarsdale, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

The Colony was a perfect location for our hiking holiday in Acadia National Park. We stayed in cottage #2 for 5 days. The view of the bay was lovely in the morning. The cottage decor was dated but that really didn't matter, the bed was firm for a restful sleep, the a/c worked great, the shower pressure was excellent plus the room and property was very clean. It is a peaceful place to stay instead of the crowds in Bar Harbor. In summary, next time we will stay for a week.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Colony on Frenchman's Bay? Share your experiences!