“This place will be closed soon.” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 22 Restaurants in Hallowell
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Waterville, Maine
“This place will be closed soon.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2011

Went there for lunch and we were the only customers in the place and that should have been a tip off. Inexperienced and untrained waiter. I ordered off the lunch menu which is very limited. Spaghetti and meatballs and the soup of the day which was clam chowder.

The clam chowder contained undercooked potatoes and very little clams but i came with sand.

The spaghetti and meatballs were horrible. The sauce was burned and tasted awful however the meatballs were okay.

My companion had a Caesar salad and she it was good and then she had the eggplant parm and she liked it but did not like the sauce and after we left I had to take my companion to the nearest McDonalds to use the bathroom as she was sick.

The business will not be there for the holidays. Poor food, poor service but plenty of parking.

• Visited June 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Wayne, Maine
“One of the worst restaurant lunches I've had”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2011

The waiter was pleasant, service fine, and atmosphere OK, but the food was terrible. My eggplant panini was burnt black on one side; the eggplant was extremely greasy; and there was a strip of tough eggplant skin in the sandwich that was nearly unchewable. I would call it inedible.

• Visited April 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Chelsea Maine
“Best FOOD & SERVICE in Hallowell !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2011

My husband & I have been many times, it is great in warmer weather to sit out on the screen in deck, and watch the ducks on the river! Wonderful, freshly made food, have taken friends, never been rushed, great homemade bread, nice salads, always different, super stuffed mushrooms, or mussels, to start with, then they send out different samples, main dishes are always great, I have had pasta, steaks, seafood, never a complaint, but remember, things are made from scratch, so don't be in a hurry, Service is always great, husband is the bartender, the Chef comes by to very table, to make sure you are happy, and if you have a question! PLease give them a try, you will not be disappointed! They also have a nice wine list! Sam & Betty

• Visited March 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hallowell, ME, USA
“Not worth the price”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2011

We have attempted to eat at Francesca's three times. The first time (soon after opening) the bread was delicious, the pasta excellent, and the service fine. However, I still did not feel the food merited the prices (higher than most if not all other restaurants in Hallowell for no better quality). The thing that ruined that experience for me was the cannolli I ordered to go for dessert. It was 6 or 7 dollars (!!!!) and yet the shell was soggy and the filling pasty. Disgusting! However, since the other food had been good we wanted to give it another go.

The second time we went at lunch, hoping for the advertised buffet. We found that there was some sort of trouble with the freezer or the food delivery, however, and the kitchen was unable to offer much, so we left.

The third time we were seated and provided water and bread by a waiter who did not seem particularly happy to be there, or to see us (though we were only the second couple in the whole place). Then we discovered that the bread had a black crust. When we asked the waiter about this he seemed unenthusastic about replacing it, though he did eventually agree to do so. And then when we were going to order, he informed us that the one dish we were most interested in was not available. We decided at this point it just wasn't worth it to risk such uneven service and food.

We went to Pasta'z in Gardiner instead, and had a delicious meal, a warm cheerful atmosphere, friendly service, a smaller bill and one of the best cannolli I've tasted!

• Visited February 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
camden, me
“Not worth the trip for bad food for a big price. Rude chef who can't cook”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2011

We drove an hour to dine at Francesca's. The dining area was small and outdated. We hardly ever get a baby sitter and were so looking forward to great Italian food on our rare night out. My husband got the lasagna (when I cook it at home he eats half the tray) which is his favorite dish and he could not eat more than a quarter of it. It was bland and gross. I ordered the chicken parm. It was NOT chicken parm. The chicken was naked and bland and unbreaded with chopped tomatoes and onions and burnt cheese on top. Another gross dish. We were so turned off we did not eat the meals. When the chef came out we let her know we did not like or want the dishes served. She said noone else had complained and she never offered us a comp of anything. The WORST customer service ever!!! She should have offered another dish, a free dessert, or a free drink. So $65 dollars later for horrible food and 2 drinks - we got offered no reason to ever step foot in there again!!! The waiter was nice but that doesn't make up for nasty food. We would have been better off at the Olive Garden at least they make Italian food because Francescas has NO idea what Italian is!! We will NEVER go again!

• Visited February 2011