This was my first organized AMC hiking trip and my most extensive winter back country outing. We dropped our overnight gear at the trailhead just east of Greenville for the shuttle service and skied about 7 miles into Little Lyford Camp via the beautiful Hedgehog Gate ski trail. Lyford Camp itself was very comfortable. It includes a separate building with hot showers and a sauna. I was shown to my bunkhouse (The Den) that was already warmed by the woodstove someone had started earlier. Family style dinner was served at 3 long tables, making it easy to meet and socialize with other skiers and hikers.
The next morning, we had an enormous breakfast of oatmeal, bread, cereal, bacon, juice, coffee, and more, and then left for Gulf Hagas. This guided snowshoe hike was between 8 and 9 miles over rolling terrain into the very scenic gulf. We stopped and ate the lunch provided by the AMC, then turned back by a more direct route.
On Wednesday, I dropped off my overnight gear at the front of the lodge and skied back out the 7 miles to the car to complete the trip. The AMC supplies a suggested packing list for trips into the camp.
Compared to the AMC New Hampshire huts, Lyford Pond Camp is luxurious. Each bunkhouse is different but all are heated by a wood stove and propane lights. The stove takes a little getting used to, but the staff there is available to help. The food was plentiful and delicious, and there were always snacks and coffee available. Each of the crew members were knowledgeable and friendly and willing to help with anything. The guides were knowledgeable and professional.
Bottom line – there is much more to see and do in this area, I can’t wait to return.
- Also Known As:
- Little Lyford Lodge And Cabins Hotel Greenville
- Little Lyford Lodge And Cabins Hotel
- Little Lyford Lodge And Cabins Maine/Greenville
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Little Lyford Lodge and Cabins offers a remote yet comfortable four-season retreat for outdoor enthusiasts to explore the spectacular mountains and wilderness of the Moosehead Lake region. Enjoy hiking, wildlife watching, paddling, fly fishing, skiing, and more at our traditional Maine sporting camp. Set within 37,000 acres of Appalachian Mountain Club conservation land, Little Lyford offers short walks along the Pleasant River and our pristine remote ponds, or more challenging hikes to Indian Mountain, Gulf Hagas, or the Appalachian Trail.Both the lodge and surrounding Katahdin Iron Works property are open to the public as part of AMC's Maine Woods Initiative. ... more less