“Closed in the Winter, But you can Walk In” 4 of 5 stars

Type: State Parks
Activities: Camping, Swimming
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Located in the Moosehead Lake region, this park offers a small beach, campsites and boat launch facilities.
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
24 attraction reviews
“Closed in the Winter, But you can Walk In”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

This is usually a Spring, Summer, Fall attraction, but being from Phoenix, I wanted to experience a "real" winter for once, so I headed to the deep, dark woods of Maine and I was not disappointed. I was told by a guide in the area that although the park was closed in the winter, I would be able and welcome to walk (or ski) into the park. I did, and I am glad I did! I was so peaceful and so beautiful! I hiked on just about flat land for several miles to and from the lake, enjoying the birds and squirrels. There were several animal prints in the snow, including moose and coyote. The views on the lake were just spectacular! I was not the only one there, as a pair of cross country skiers and their dog were enjoying the park as well. There were park workers there maintaining the park as well. There was no fee as the park was closed, but there is a fee when the park in open.

Visited December 2013

San Diego, California
“Beautiful park”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

Lovely almost level hiking trails along the lakefront, a good walk but not strenuous. Especially lovely in the fall .

Eden Prairie
“Beautiful park!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

My husband and I stopped by here for a few hours while staying in Greenville. We really enjoyed the park and its scenery on the last day the park was open to the public for the season. The lake was absolutely gorgeous. We wished we'd been able to rent kayaks or canoes but this didn't seem to be an option. We didn't interact with any staff as no one was available at the welcome booth. The overall presentation of the park was nice though.

Tullahoma, Tennessee
“Beautiful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I highly recommend visiting Lily Bay State Park. The innkeeper at the Greenville Inn recommended we visit and it was worth the short drive from Greenville. We wished we had had more time to spend there.

Toronto, Canada
“Pleasant afternoon hike”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Another pleasant part to our visit to Greenville/Moosehead Lake. Trail winds through peaceful forest of fragrant spruce and fir, feathery hemlocks and red and sugar maples that were starting to turn bright read and orange in the final week of September, with outstanding views of the lake and surrounding mountains.

Visited September 2013