“Great presentation of Maine's signature dish.” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
New England
“Great presentation of Maine's signature dish.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

A good place to experience Maine Cooking in a wonderful community. The food is fun, the atmosphere lively. A bit touristy but well done.

• Visited February 2014

New York
“Had breakfast-would try it some time for lunch or dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

They have pancakes, french toast or crepes here that you can have with a specialty butter or compote. I thought that was a great idea although I should have had the crepes or french toast as the pancakes were too thick and undercooked for my taste. Having said that, the flavored butter was OUTSTANDING (I had the orange) and the taste of the pancakes was fine...just too cake-y for me. My favorite pancakes are still the Cracker Barrel ones with blueberries...I know...a chain restaurant but they get the thickness right there. I wanted to post this review to warn people...if you are the type that usually cannot eat more than one thick pancake maybe try the french toast or crepes. My friend had the french toast and I wished I had ordered that.

Service and environment was quite nice...loved the firepits out front. They have a menu with some unique twists and takes on food that make this the type of place I would re-visit. I am very much not into outlet shopping and that is what Freeport is known for but I can imagine it is gorgeous here in the Fall and the Holidays.

• Visited April 2014
Conway, New Hampshire
“Fun Atmosphere, Good Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

We always hit up Linda Bean's when in Freeport. Love the outdoor fire pits year round.
The food and service are consistently good. Good beer selection and beautiful desserts.
Gotta Have: The mega Lobster Roll and kelpislaw!
Disappointed though that the Kelp Rolls were missing from the menu on our last visit :-(

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
DC Metro Area
“Wonderful experience, great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

Ten of us came to dine here on March 23rd for a "lobstAH fix" after some "retail therapy" on the recommendation of our Hotel Front Desk personnel.

You will have to wait for a table; expect 45min-hour. -That's typical in a tourist area. Bonus: your buzzer will work across the street in the shops, so shop on while you wait!

The decor is nautical and quite cozy. Beautiful bar upstairs.

What did we order?

Two ordered the grilled lobster and cheese sandwiches. The filling looked sufficient.

Two ordered the lobster pies; they came topped with a turnover puff pastry that looked light and fluffy. The pie filing underneath looked creamy with chunks of lobster.

One ordered the lobster risotto. It tasted to me like a creamy, cheesy, risotto with lobster.

One ordered the lobster mac and cheese. Huge bowl filled with macaroni and some lobster.

One ordered the lobster bisque.

Two ordered the Lobster Cobb Salads. They were large.

Two ordered the twin lobster tail appetizers. These tails look to come from 1.25lb lobsters. So not small, but not large, either.

What did I eat...?
I shared a dozen raw oysters with another. Verdict: PHENOMENAL-they were fresh, sweet and succulent. We regretted not ordering more.

I ordered the cup of lobster stew. What is the difference between the stew and bisque? They are made similar, with milk, cream, butter sherry, and lobster meat, but the bisque is smooth and as the server said, you can't see the lobster. The stew on the other hand, is made per order and there are huge chunks of lobster. I had at least two claws and some additional lobster meat in my cup.

I also ordered (hey-I said it was a lobsterFEST-I intended to indulge!) the colossal lobster roll. Now I'm not a fan of chicken/tuna/lobster/crab salads because I'm not a huge mayo-girl, but based on the picture and the description, "in a light dressing," I went for it. I was NOT disappointed.

The roll was so full of pure lobster meat that much stayed on the plate and not in the roll (to be consumed, of course with my fork). My fellow dining companions eyed my sandwich and remarked how much lobster it had (everyone was having lobster-envy).

We did not get dessert, but they looked and sounded delicious.

The service was excellent. The food is freshly prepared per order, and yet the wait was not too long. It gave us time to chat and relax between courses. 10 of us were well fed in less than an hour.

BONUS #2: The other GREAT thing about Linda Bean's is that they have all gluten free menu items labeled and they use Udi's gluten free rolls so that people like me can eat a roll like everyone else. Very smart move on the restaurant's part.

An overall excellent dining experience.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
ny
“Not what I expected”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

The server was friendly but very slow. The food was overpriced for the portions received and the taste/quality was horrible. I was really looking forward to dining here and really wanted to love it. I will not be returning and would not recommend it.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere